Neil destroys Hunwick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Did you see the pictures? His elbow makes contact with the head and he leaves his feet.

Yes, I see the pictures. You seem to miss the context. Obviously Hunwick is lower in the pics you posted, considering he is in the middle of getting smacked into the boards. You could have taken a picture of him with his head next to Neil's knee and argued Neil kneed him in the head and it would be just as credible (well, un-credible) as your current argument.

The pictures are after Neil hits Hunwick. Why don't you grab some screen shots of the actual hit?

Honestly, why don't you just watch the hit, it's extremely, extremely obvious there was no elbow or jumping...

buttman*

Yes, I see the pictures. You seem to miss the context. Obviously Hunwick is lower in the pics you posted, considering he is in the middle of getting smacked into the boards. You could have taken a picture of him with his head next to Neil's knee and argued Neil kneed him in the head and it would be just as credible (well, un-credible) as your current argument.

The pictures are after Neil hits Hunwick. Why don't you grab some screen shots of the actual hit?

Honestly, why don't you just watch the hit, it's extremely, extremely obvious there was no elbow or jumping...

Lower isn't a consideration. Neil finished high and left his feet.

The picture proves it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

The picture proves it.

You also seem to misunderstand the leaving the feet aspect of it.

It's quite clear no amount of reason or evidence is going to change your mind, so I'm done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Screencaps are poor and unconvincing evidence of anything on a hit. Because context isn't provided, you don't know if you're looking at an image before, during or after contact. You don't know the direction that players are moving. You don't know if a player is in the process of driving their arms outward or pulling them up to protect themselves, or if they're where they are as part of a follow-through, which is often involuntary and irrelevant.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The picture proves it.

Neutral fan.

Watch the video (not a still shot).

The hit is perfectly clean, shoulder to chest/shoulder. Hunwick is falling and Neil puts his hands up as he's hitting the glass (and he doesn't leave his feet). It's a brutal hit, but clean.

buttman*

You also seem to misunderstand the leaving the feet aspect of it.

It's quite clear no amount of reason or evidence is going to change your mind, so I'm done.

Leaving your feet is a charge. Read the rules. You are completely misinformed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Leaving your feet prior to contact is a charge. Leaving your feet as a result of contact happens all the time, and doesn't factor into discipline in any way.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I applaud your perseverance in this matter. You are sadly so incorrect but the world needs more passionate people like yourself

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Stone hit on Rielly was nice too, Rielly was giving up the puck non-stop after that anytime anyone came near him.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Evidence for all those in denial.

Clear elbow to head. Neil even left his feet.

You must be joking.

neilhunwick1.png

neilhunwick2.png

neilhunwick3.png

neilhunwick4.png

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Legal or not, i don't like this hit. I'm all for physical hockey, but this is just a little too much physical, and not enough hockey. Proof: look how far Neil's stick was from the ice. This guy in this specific play had zero intention of recuperating the puck. He just went for the dangerous play with the intention of incapacitating his opponent instead of going for the puck whilst imposing himself physically.

Of course, this hit was legal, but i don't want to see this type of hit in the nhl. I mean boarding isn't legal, but honestly, how much less dangerous was this hit than a typical boarding penalty?

Pretty sure many people will disagree with me, but it would really be unfortunate to send a player like Crosby into early retirement with what is considered by today's NHL's standards as a clean, legal hit. Clean and legal because it passed the following exhaustive checklist:

Skates did not leave ice
No hit to the head
Not 100% certainty of hit being blindside

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Legal or not, i don't like this hit. I'm all for physical hockey, but this is just a little too much physical, and not enough hockey. Proof: look how far Neil's stick was from the ice. This guy in this specific play had zero intention of recuperating the puck. He just went for the dangerous play with the intention of incapacitating his opponent instead of going for the puck whilst imposing himself physically.

Of course, this hit was legal, but i don't want to see this type of hit in the nhl. I mean boarding isn't legal, but honestly, how much less dangerous was this hit than a typical boarding penalty?

Pretty sure many people will disagree with me, but it would really be unfortunate to send a player like Crosby into early retirement with what is considered by today's NHL's standards as a clean, legal hit. Clean and legal because it passed the following exhaustive checklist:

Skates did not leave ice
No hit to the head

Hits like this have been apart of hockey for a long time, you can't get more of an old fashion hockey big hit than this.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
You must be joking.

neilhunwick1.png

neilhunwick2.png

neilhunwick3.png

neilhunwick4.png

Ouch, don't think we'll be seeing buttman anymore.

Skates did not leave ice
No hit to the head

If you don't like this hit, you can't understand body checking. His stick was off the ice? You have a problem with that?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ouch, don't think we'll be seeing buttman anymore.

If you don't like this hit, you can't understand body checking. His stick was off the ice? You have a problem with that?

To quote the great Elliott Friedman, "If you don't like that hit you have no soul."

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Skates did not leave ice
No hit to the head

You are absolutely correct that alot of people will disagree with you

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
You are absolutely correct that alot of people will disagree with you

Hits like this have lots of purpose, even if none of that purpose is to retrieve the puck.

You want the guy you hit to feel intimidated and shaken up. Maybe he will be off for the rest of the game. Maybe he will second-guess how much time he has when forechecked. Maybe he will give up the puck next time. Maybe his body will wear down. So many reasons to crush the opposing d-men when you get a chance. It's all hockey.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Hits like this have lots of purpose, even if none of that purpose is to retrieve the puck.

You want the guy you hit to feel intimidated and shaken up. Maybe he will be off for the rest of the game. Maybe he will second-guess how much time he has when forechecked. Maybe he will give up the puck next time. Maybe his body will wear down. So many reasons to crush the opposing d-men when you get a chance. It's all hockey.

Yup. Tell that to snakeeye though

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal

That's very true! Thing is i personally don't like that side of hockey. For the reasons i mentioned.

Hitting is definitely part of hockey. However, imagine a situation where a player has the puck and the way different types of players would handle him. Yesterday i was randomly watching clips of both Dasyuk and Scott Stevens, and i think the contrast between these two are a perfect example. On one end you have a stickhandling wizard with his takeaways, and on the other you have a player that gives devastating body checks.

Now what if you take these two players to some hypothetical absolute level, where they'd be so good at what they do that there would be no avoiding or countering them? On one end you'd have a takeaway god, but on the other you'd have someone sending half the opposing team off to the hospital night after night.

My personal opinion is that one of these players makes plays that i consider more of a hockey play than the other. Sure hitting is part of the game, but i rather see hits as a way of gaining the upper hand in a battle for the puck, and not just for the reasons you mentioned.

I hate making this comparison, (and I'll probably lose all my credibility for doing so :laugh:), but in soccer you actually have to go for the ball; it's not ok to KO a player just cause he has the ball. I'd like to see something similar in hockey. Like hit the opponent, sure, but while going for the puck maybe? :dunno: Basically i would love to see hits as a compement to hockey plays, and not have them be considered hockey plays on their own.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
That's very true! Thing is i personally don't like that side of hockey. For the reasons i mentioned.

Hitting is definitely part of hockey. However, imagine a situation where a player has the puck and the way different types of players would handle him. Yesterday i was randomly watching clips of both Dasyuk and Scott Stevens, and i think the contrast between these two are a perfect example. On one end you have a stickhandling wizard with his takeaways, and on the other you have a player that gives devastating body checks.

Now what if you take these two players to some hypothetical absolute level, where they'd be so good at what they do that there would be no avoiding or countering them? On one end you'd have a takeaway god, but on the other you'd have someone sending half the opposing team off to the hospital night after night.

My personal opinion is that one of these players makes plays that i consider more of a hockey play than the other. Sure hitting is part of the game, but i rather see hits as a way of gaining the upper hand in a battle for the puck, and not just for the reasons you mentioned.

I hate making this comparison, (and I'll probably lose all my credibility for doing so :laugh:), but in soccer you actually have to go for the ball; it's not ok to KO a player just cause he has the ball. I'd like to see something similar in hockey. Like hit the opponent, sure, but while going for the puck maybe? :dunno: Basically i would love to see hits as a compement to hockey plays, and not have them be considered hockey plays on their own.

But guy who deliver hits, legal hits, change the outlook of the game. In your analogy no one fears putting the puck on their stick when Datsyuk is on thhe ice. I've seen plenty of guy who won't chase a puck knowing they will get plastered. THAT's what physical play does.

And being be betting man your desire that hockey ( which has always allowed contact) be more like soccer ( which has not and has the scourge of embellishment) as for its public reception, my guess not to well received. Hockey ISNT soccer and for that I say thank god.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Skates did not leave ice
No hit to the head

Hits like this have been a part of hockey since it was created. I respect your opinion, but it's opinions like this that are what's changing our game so much in a direction that the majority does not like.

I'd like to see soccer be more physical and allow body checks, doesn't mean it's right for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad