Player Discussion Necas

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Hi...Jet's fan here. With some of the rumours about Ehlers for Necas, can someone give me a description of the Necas's style of play? Thanks in advance.
I don’t watch a whole lot of Ehlers, but from what I see they are mirror images of each other. A speedy winger that will dazzle you with an end-to-end rush, and may also frustrate you 1-2 times a game when that leads into a turnover. I think he is a hard worker in the defensive end, but his play there still leaves a lot to be desired. He has a great shot, especially on the PP. A pretty good play maker as well, but he doesn’t always mesh with his line mates because he is probably one step ahead of them (and often himself).

Reactions: OBXer

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Could be in the top 5 of the fastest players in the league. Great skater, good 1 timer on the PP. He does have issues using his linemates on a rush, since he's about 10 steps ahead of everyone.

Reactions: OBXer

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’ll add that now that Necas has filed for arbitration, a contract is guaranteed, one way or another. So, the fear that he wouldn’t sign long term in WPG is somewhat mitigated by the fact that he could be awarded a 1r deal and he’d be in the same boat next summer, in his final year of RFA.

There’s team control with Necas, none really with Ehlers.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ehlers has all the fine motor skills with the puck that Necas lacks, he’s basically the player Necas is trying to be. Better poise and control and improved general awareness. He’s hurt a lot, and if you think that’s just bad luck remember that we bought two goalies that everyone told us were always hurt and what happened? Ehlers is a personal favorite, but there are significant drawbacks.

Unless he’s signed this would be a frustrating Necas trade, he’s going to walk in a year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’ll add that now that Necas has filed for arbitration, a contract is guaranteed, one way or another. So, the fear that he wouldn’t sign long term in WPG is somewhat mitigated by the fact that he could be awarded a 1r deal and he’d be in the same boat next summer, in his final year of RFA.

There’s team control with Necas, none really with Ehlers.
If the arbitration award is somewhere between $5.75 million and $6.25 million, then the Canes likely opt for the 2nd year as well. That give price certainty to a potential buyer and/or gives us a high end RW (dare I say center?....nah) for 2 seasons. Any time during that span he can and likely will get traded.

Edit: My take on Ehlers is that without an extension, there's a big plus coming with him should it be a Necas for Ehlers base for a trade. I've offered Necas plus a 2nd for Ehlers and McGroarty. The latter is probably NHL close, but will have to continue to work on his skating.

If the Canes want to extend Ehlers, I'd probably say a 5 year deal at the most for around the same money or maybe a little bit more ($6.25 or $6.5 million?).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If the arbitration award is somewhere between $5.75 million and $6.25 million, then the Canes likely opt for the 2nd year as well. That give price certainty to a potential buyer and/or gives us a high end RW (dare I say center?....nah) for 2 seasons. Any time during that span he can and likely will get traded.

Edit: My take on Ehlers is that without an extension, there's a big plus coming with him should it be a Necas for Ehlers base for a trade. I've offered Necas plus a 2nd for Ehlers and McGroarty. The latter is probably NHL close, but will have to continue to work on his skating.

If the Canes want to extend Ehlers, I'd probably say a 5 year deal at the most for around the same money or maybe a little bit more ($6.25 or $6.5 million?).
The reason why we don’t go two years is to avoid Necas refusing to negotiate a new deal with any team and walking to FA, killing all value. If Necas doesn’t have a contract he either has to negotiate a deal or play in Europe for pittance.

I don’t see any benefit to choosing a 2 year arbitration award.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The reason why we don’t go two years is to avoid Necas refusing to negotiate a new deal with any team and walking to FA, killing all value. If Necas doesn’t have a contract he either has to negotiate a deal or play in Europe for pittance.

Apparently Gold was saying it would be a 2-year deal, but that makes no sense to me for all the reasons you listed above. Do the 1-year deal, allow potential acquiring teams to give him a new contract any time after Jan 1.

And if this somehow stretched out all the way to next July 1, you could just qualify him again and he either accepts the QO or goes to arb for a slight raise and you effectively end up where the 2-year option would've gotten you in the first case.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

As I said, it's a price certainty thing. THIS year he has more value with a known value tagged to this year and next. Sure he could walk to UFA with the new team, but ideally, he gets moved for good assets from a team that sees his value. If we signed Necas to a 8/$7.5 million deal, he'd jump at it in an instant. Even he has to be able to see that his role here will be increased.

That said, you take the 2 years as the Canes because it gives you price certainty too. If he hits 70 points again, then you've got another year at a bargain price....and likely will have repaired some of the damage. But if he still gets traded, that 70 point player, even for a season, is a valuable asset and thee acquiring team will have exclusive rights to negotiate a longer term deal.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
As I said, it's a price certainty thing. THIS year he has more value with a known value tagged to this year and next. Sure he could walk to UFA with the new team, but ideally, he gets moved for good assets from a team that sees his value. If we signed Necas to a 8/$7.5 million deal, he'd jump at it in an instant. Even he has to be able to see that his role here will be increased.

That said, you take the 2 years as the Canes because it gives you price certainty too. If he hits 70 points again, then you've got another year at a bargain price....and likely will have repaired some of the damage. But if he still gets traded, that 70 point player, even for a season, is a valuable asset and thee acquiring team will have exclusive rights to negotiate a longer term deal.

Being able to guarantee a long term contract prior to a trade is a heck of a lot more valuable in a trade than 1 year of price certainty. I would do the 1 year contract 100 times out of 100.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Necas played much better in the playoffs than I ever remember showing. Was more physical too.

Now is his profile similar to a book I read in college called “waiting for godot” (never came btw) or about to break out into superstar status?

Put me in the camp that suggests please re-sign him because great things are coming….but of course it could be for naught too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The departures this offseason open the door for the minutes he’s looking for, here. If/when things get stale 5v5, there’s no Teravainen for the coaches to turn to next to Aho. On the PP, the slot role is vacant and again there’s no Teravainen to jump ahead of him as the next man up. He just needs to beat out Kuznetsov and the two lefty shot half walls disappointed in the playoffs.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Does he have any potential as a center? The Jets do have a second line center spot open, but my impression is Necas is a better winger.
PS I didn’t mean to make this trade value thread. I was just curious as to what type of player he is.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does he have any potential as a center? The Jets do have a second line center spot open, but my impression is Necas is a better winger.
PS I didn’t mean to make this trade value thread. I was just curious as to what type of player he is.

He thinks he does, the Canes seem to think he doesn’t. I personally think it’s worth a shot, but he’d have some work to do to move over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad