WJC: 2025 Team Canada Roster Talk

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
And I am all for that but what I am saying is that even if there wasn't a single guy from the Q that was good enough to be there on merit.....................they would still have at least 1 player fro the Q on the team.

They can't not have one, it would cause too big a stink in the great french/english experiment that is Canada hammered out by the founding fathers.
I’m from QC and though people like Stéphane Leroux and Réjean Tremblay might throw a hissy fit if that happens, pick the best players no matter the language. I think Gauthier will be close though because he can play a heavy style that Cameron likes

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'm talking year after year. The Q has always been the ugly sister but it seems to be getting weaker over time - compared to the O and the W.

Do you see that trend reversing?

I'm from Quebec City, I certainly don't. Hockey is cooked by soccer. All my friends with kids, the kids play soccer. Hopefully a good Habs team (finally) might help.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
1720302766498.png

Probably not that surprising but he won’t be back

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think he’s a lock but I could see him making some of the cuts. Depends all on roles honestly. If he’s a 3rd/4th line type of guy- 2 way etc he would have a decent chance but he’s not getting picked over guys like Rehkopf, Mckenna, Catton etc for a scoring role.

Only one from Q I think is a lock is Cataford. That’s not to say others won’t make it- the top talent of the Q just simply doesn’t compare to the O and the W this year.

I expect Matvei Gridin to be one of the best players in the league this year in the Q but he is Russian.
Why do you think that Cataford is a lock? I've seen him play and he's good, but he doesn't scream lock to me.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Why do you think that Cataford is a lock? I've seen him play and he's good, but he doesn't scream lock to me.
If they’re going to take 1 guy for offence from the Q that is eligible he is without a doubt the top guy. I’d say Poirier but we know how people think about short hockey players.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If they’re going to take 1 guy for offence from the Q that is eligible he is without a doubt the top guy. I’d say Poirier but we know how people think about short hockey players.
There’s definitely a height bias in the NHL (for somewhat good reason IMO) but shorter guys seem to get a longer leash in Jr hockey.

That said, I think Poirier is a longshot for 2025 but has a much much better shot in 2026.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s definitely a height bias in the NHL (for somewhat good reason IMO) but shorter guys seem to get a longer leash in Jr hockey.

That said, I think Poirier is a longshot for 2025 but has a much much better shot in 2026.
Explain no Heidt and Cristall last year then.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I don’t think he’s a long shot necessarily for 2025 but it’s clear he needs to do a lot of work if he wants to get that roster spot.

Watching him in the Q playoffs and 2 games in the regular season he honestly reminds me a bit of Alex Debrincat in the NHL. And sure enough when he got drafted that was one of his comparisons. A lot of teams will definitely regret passing on him if he works on his skating and bulks up a bit

Coaches probably liked Rehkopf more than Cristall from what they saw. Heidt maybe was gunning for Cowans spot? Just my guess

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Both are lacking in a two-way game. Cristall isn’t a great skater which seems to have more of an impact internationally, especially if the games will be played on bigger ice. Cristall didn’t look great in the U18s 7ish months beforehand.

I like both but there were justifiable reasons they were left off.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Both are lacking in a two-way game. Cristall isn’t a great skater which seems to have more of an impact internationally, especially if the games will be played on bigger ice. Cristall didn’t look great in the U18s 7ish months beforehand.

The reason they were left off is they are small. The size bias is also part of junior hockey.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don’t think he’s a long shot necessarily for 2025 but it’s clear he needs to do a lot of work if he wants to get that roster spot.

Watching him in the Q playoffs and 2 games in the regular season he honestly reminds me a bit of Alex Debrincat in the NHL. And sure enough when he got drafted that was one of his comparisons. A lot of teams will definitely regret passing on him if he works on his skating and bulks up a bit
Oh completely agree. He’s very talented. Some definite concerns about translating to the pros but as a Jr? He’s fantastic and absolutely has the ability to be a very good pro if he can round out his weaknesses a bit. I would’ve taken him a good amount higher.

Since you’re a Fronts fan, let me ask you this. What sort of odds would you give Quinton Burns of making the team? I’d guess a relative longshot but I’d think he’s at least got a shot.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The reason they were left off is they are small. The size bias is also part of junior hockey.
Oh. Well thanks for clearing that up. Always good to have guys who must be in these player selection meetings on these boards so we know the precise reasoning about these things.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh. Well thanks for clearing that up. Always good to have guys who must be in these player selection meetings on these boards so we know the precise reasoning about these things.
Look at their scoring and compare it to those that made it. How could the conclusion not be that other parts of hockey were viewed as more important? Same thing that happens in the NHL.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Look at their scoring and compare it to those that made it. How could the conclusion not be that other parts of hockey were viewed as more important? Same thing that happens in the NHL.
Right. Other parts of hockey. Could’ve been size, sure. Could’ve been defensive ability, physicality, speed…all sorts of things. Coaches are tasked with bringing what they think is the best available team, not necessarily the 23 best players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Right. Other parts of hockey. Could’ve been size, sure. Could’ve been defensive ability, physicality, speed…all sorts of things. Coaches are tasked with bringing what they think is the best available team, not necessarily the 23 best players.
In junior offense is still what wins. The best junior hockey scorers are the best junior players.

But sizeitis is a real thing in junior hockey. I’m not saying it’s outlandish because plenty believe in it, but I think if you want the best chance to win you take the most skilled hockey team. Not everyone agrees.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

I agree. I don't think they were exclusively left off for size. Hockey Canada, probably to a fault sometimes, puts a tremendous amount of stock in previous performance at international events. Cristall turned it on later in the U-18 tournament, but it certainly wasn't his best performance overall. Heidt did not have a great tournament, and certainly did not help to justify why he deserved a spot on the U-20 in his 18 year old season (although this probably should've been negated by his performance to start the season).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If they think you're going to help the team more than others, you'll be there regardless of size.

Guys like Point and Stankoven are/were smaller than guys like Cristalli and Heidt, they were just deemed to be better fits and help the teams out more. They were also much better/more complete players by a pretty sizable amount. That's not to say HC is always correct, they certainly aren't, but Cristali was not going to be a go to guy, they likely felt they'd rather have size. speed and physical play from their 9-13 guys rather than what Cristali brings.

Of course there is more lienency in junior, the WJ's are definitely more viable for small guys compared to the NHL

It's not like Cristali is an unknown to HC, they have been following and paying attention to him since he was 13 with St. George's.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Unless Ritchie is with Colorado, him and Sennecke should be selected as a pair for one of the top 2 lines. Dave Cameron would have seen first hand what those players can do, as they shredded Ottawa in their 2nd round playoff series in the spring.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Unless Ritchie is with Colorado, him and Sennecke should be selected as a pair for one of the top 2 lines. Dave Cameron would have seen first hand what those players can do, as they shredded Ottawa in their 2nd round playoff series in the spring.

and then Cowan and Barkey shredded them. I don't think Sennecke is going to be a top 6 guy with the forward talent available, too raw. Lot of good 19 year olds likely to be available and McKenna might force his way into a big role as well. But we'll see.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
and then Cowan and Barkey shredded them. I don't think Sennecke is going to be a top 6 guy with the forward talent available, too raw. Lot of good 19 year olds likely to be available and McKenna might force his way into a big role as well. But we'll see.
Sennecke missed the series against London with an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad