WJC: 2025 Team Canada Roster Talk

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Good catch, they were on Red. My mistake.

As for the 4 listed - White for 90% of the game was on the back foot, they were truly dominated up until the 10 minute mark in the third when they finally started to gain momentum. Barkley was the best of the bunch listed, was a hound throughout the game and kept his feet moving and wasn’t afraid to go into the corners for a small guy. Heidt made a few nice plays here and there but for the most part was outmatched in pace and couldn’t solve Red’s defence.
Barlow was very vocal on the ice, and showcased a few times his ability to get a shot off quick, but for a player of his prestige - he should have been more visible.
Romani was good, made some smart plays and was playing with pace throughout.
Cristall when given space was lethal, for sure. However he was unable to get that space by himself, he just wasn’t shifty enough to out maneuver Red’s defence who was excellent until late in the third. Excellent vision and showcased it on Romani’s goal.
Based on your assessment, would agree that HC needs to combine the roster as follows in order to face a very quick USA team :

Rehkopf - Ritchie - Wood
Nadeau - Catton - Cowan
Barlow - Yager - Gauthier - (checking line)
Heidt- Barkey - Martone
*Romani or Sennecke - as a possible replacement for Gauthier or Martone depending on the night

Molendyk - Yakemchuk
Chadwick - Bonk
Mynio - Parekn
Price- Gibson

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Hockey Canada hired Al Murray as U20 head scout. He has the position in 2008, 2009, 2010, and then was Tampa Bay's director of scouting afterward. Also a long time as director of scouting for Los Angeles. Probably not a bad hire.

TSN has starting pumping out WJC videos, mainly interviews from the camp. I forgot that Chadwick's GM in the WHL is the GM of Canada this year, so that doesn't hurt.
chadwick will be close ,his reach will be a big asset in pro.he looks like he can close a gap nice.the leafs will work on his stick positioning ,but he's in the mix.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Parekh was very good, was consistently getting into the play and directing his teammates, was very vocal. Got caught a lot but Minhyo and one of his foe was always back to cover for him for him to make a play on the backcheck. Was getting outmuscled physically and was afraid of the corners but was very impressive all things told.

Yakemchuk was mostly invisible, got a lot of ice but not a lot came of it. Was chasing the game a lot and was constantly caught flat footed and forced to pivot not being able to correctly gauge the pace of the game. I expected more, personally.
Kinda sounds like yakemchuk at this stage

• Haha
Reactions: bert

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I'm surprised TSN doesn't send a single camera down to at least put it on their TSN+ online only streaming service. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, can even be a stationary camera if need be.

Reactions: horner

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Parekh was very good, was consistently getting into the play and directing his teammates, was very vocal. Got caught a lot but Minhyo and one of his foe was always back to cover for him for him to make a play on the backcheck. Was getting outmuscled physically and was afraid of the corners but was very impressive all things told.

Yakemchuk was mostly invisible, got a lot of ice but not a lot came of it. Was chasing the game a lot and was constantly caught flat footed and forced to pivot not being able to correctly gauge the pace of the game. I expected more, personally.
That's really discouraging regarding Yakemchuk though, hope it's just one game, but his skating no being up to snuff is my greatest worry about him.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for the report. Have coached and watched alot of Sennecke the last 3-4 years and that’s always been the biggest drawback for him, trying to do a bit too much. But he’s a dynamic talent and can make plays out of nothing, and has true game breaking ability. Put him on a line with a responsible C like Ritchie or Barkey and he’ll be dominant. I really like Molendyk as well, the perfect modern day defender. Elite mobility. Price would be a nice compliment to a Bonk imo. Fully with you on Martone as well, personally I think he needs to be on this team come December, but surprised they used him so seldomly considering his role at the U18’s. Maybe fighting a bit of a cold or injury. Either way I’d take him in December as he’s incredibly versatile and can play on any of the 4 lines. I know it’s not related to this thread per se, but a hot take I have is that Matthew Schaefer is going to really push for a spot on this team as an underager. I’d take him as the 7th D for sure, he’s mature beyond his years and can skate for days. I think he’s going to challenge Hagens for 1OA this year.

Especially considering they clearly had cameras in Windsor to show the highlights. Even a stream without play by play would be good enough.
If you have coached Sennecke, what do you think of the Ducks taking him at 3?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Button was on TSN giving some thoughts. He thinks George is the favourite to be starter, Iginla is a lock, and that Martone and McKenna have good odds to make the team. It would mean a lot more if McKenzie said it since he clearly has strong contacts at Hockey Canada but it's something I guess.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Button was on TSN giving some thoughts. He thinks George is the favourite to be starter, Iginla is a lock, and that Martone and McKenna have good odds to make the team. It would mean a lot more if McKenzie said it since he clearly has strong contacts at Hockey Canada but it's something I guess.
George was excellent for the gold at Hlinka. I rewatched it the other night. Yes.. I need new hobbies.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
So no Basha, Misa, Akey, Unger, or Gardner, but I didn't think any of them were going to make the final team. I had hopes for Akey, but alas. I think the final team will be:

F: Barkey, Barlow, Catton, Cowan, Cristall, Heidt, Lindstrom, McKenna, Nadeau, Ritchie, Sennecke, Wood, Yager

D: Bonk, Dickinson, Gibson, Molendyk, Morin, Parekh, Yakemchuk

G: Bjarnason, George, Ratzlaff

This is a smaller than average forward group, which might be a problem. Rekhoph was my last cut. I could see Martone or Iginla making the team, but it's going to depend on how many 2006's they want to bring.

I could see the lines being something like:

McKenna-Ritchie-Nadeau
Cowan-Catton-Sennecke
Cristall-Lindstrom-Yager
Barlow-Heidt-Barkey
Wood

Molendyk-Gibson
Dickinson-Bonk
Morin-Parekh
Yakemchuk

Ratzlaff
George
Bjarnason
After WJSS, I think this will be the lineup:

McKenna-Ritchie-Nadeau
Cowan-Catton-Sennecke
Rehkopf-Yager-Cristall
Iginla-Lindstrom-Wood
Martone

Molendyk-Gibson
Dickinson-Bonk
Morin-Parekh
Yakemchuk

Ratzlaff
George
Bjarnason

Reactions: Dominance

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

McKenna-Ritchie-Nadeau
Cowan-Catton-Sennecke
Rehkopf-Yager-Cristall
Iginla-Lindstrom-Wood
Martone

Molendyk-Gibson
Dickinson-Bonk
Morin-Parekh
Yakemchuk

Ratzlaff
George
Bjarnason

You don't think Heidt will make the roster?

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Love it. He’s going to be a superstar at the NHL level imo. When he’s mid 20’s and has filled out his big frame, he’s going to be scary good imo. Elite skill and creativity, has a very good shot arsenal and can score from distance or dangle 5 guys and score in tight. Has gotten much more nasty to play against as well, which is to be expected as he’s grown from 5’8 to 6’3 in two years. Skating has come a long way as well. I know even he was a bit surprised he was taken that high, but his second half and playoffs were outstanding, and he nearly doubled his production. I think he’s a guy who will be in Anaheim after one more year of junior. Could easily be a 100 point guy in oshawa this coming year. Only real knock on him for me is he has a tendency to get too cute and can make risky plays when it’s not necessary. But even that was cleaned up in his second half. Derek Laxdal was a great coach to help him develop imo. I’d be excited if I were an Anaheim fan.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
You don't think Heidt will make the roster?

He definitely could, I had him on the team before the camp. From the way some players on the team were speaking, it sounds like Barkey has a chance of making the team as well. At least two of Cristall, Barkey, Heidt, Martone, Iginla, and Lindstrom are not making the team. I think you can make a compelling case for all of them. Maybe Lindstroms injury preventing him from not attending summer camp will prevent him from making the team. Hard to say who the last few cuts are, in my opinion.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

McKenna-Ritchie-Nadeau
Cowan-Catton-Sennecke
Rehkopf-Yager-Cristall
Iginla-Lindstrom-Wood
Martone

Molendyk-Gibson
Dickinson-Bonk
Morin-Parekh
Yakemchuk

Ratzlaff
George
Bjarnason
At least one QMJHL player is going to make it. Gauthier, Cataford, both, or maybe someone else. I cannot imagine they will have one CHL league go without representation though.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
At least one QMJHL player is going to make it. Gauthier, Cataford, both, or maybe someone else. I cannot imagine they will have one CHL league go without representation though.
He has Morin on his roster but I expect at least 2 QMJHLers if not more.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Feels like a very strong year goaltending wise as well. Like I feel like there are multiple good to potentially great options for the net.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
First time you've ever watched him but sure ok. Lol
Offensively gifted. Struggling on the turns and defense. You make him sound like he’s the perfect

How do you have the time to watch all junior players and nhl players anyway?

Do you have all the subscriptions?

Reactions: ORRFForever

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A guy like Byfield was viewed as raw and a project and Kings fans just had to endure the abuse for years (including at the hands of overzealous Sens fans) until he progressed to the point where his skillset matched up with what the Kings scouting staff had anticipated on draft day.

We can run around all the boards and wave our hands wildly whenever Yakemchuk comes up or just be patient and see if what Staios and Co. actually predicted pans out.

As it stands, he has all kinds of upside in all kinds of areas but his warts are well documented and aren’t going to go away a couple months after draft day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1