Proposal: Necas for Matheson & 26th

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I can't say I'm seeing a match, Carolina and Montreal are unlikely to deal, and Matheson is unlikely to be dealt until Hutson, Barron, Mailloux or Reinbacher show they could run a PP.

Contract-wise, it also depends on what Necas is looking for, which could lower his value if he's going the "Hronek" road and looking for a bigger payday than justified by his play. Matheson, OTOH, is someone who took a big step forward in Montreal, but valuations on him will be all over depending on if people consider this to be his new normal, or if success was dependent on being the #1 guy on a bad team, such that he got all the prime offensive opportunities. However, his contract should be very attractive to some teams.

Someone else mentioned Toronto, and I suspect a cap-strapped team like Toronto might want to add a Matheson type if Marner is moved and caproom opens up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Necas is an arbitration eligible RFA. The Canes do not have to trade him and, frankly, they hold all the cards. As has been said numerous time by insiders, the Hurricanes are looking for large return for Necas (1st rounder, very good prospect, and a "ready now" player). While it may be unrealistic now, it smells a lot like the Matt Duchene drama from years past. In the end Colorado got a very nice return.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Necas is an arbitration eligible RFA. The Canes do not have to trade him and, frankly, they hold all the cards. As has been said numerous time by insiders, the Hurricanes are looking for large return for Necas (1st rounder, very good prospect, and a "ready now" player). While it may be unrealistic now, it smells a lot like the Matt Duchene drama from years past. In the end Colorado got a very nice return.
Duchene had 2 60+ point season and was an actual centre when he was dealt.

If he is eligible for arbitration he gets 1 year (Maybe 2, but that seems rare) and I think the Canes can still trade him afterwards as they're obviously not going to walk away, but given he's only signed to that 1 year deal and then ufa, his value decrease.

Necas holds the cards with the Canes, not them.

Now, does that mean he's worth less, or the Canes should accept this ? No, but they don't hold the cards.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Duchene had 2 60+ point season and was an actual centre when he was dealt.

If he is eligible for arbitration he gets 1 year (Maybe 2, but that seems rare) and I think the Canes can still trade him afterwards as they're obviously not going to walk away, but given he's only signed to that 1 year deal and then ufa, his value decrease.

Necas holds the cards with the Canes, not them.

Now, does that mean he's worth less, or the Canes should accept this ? No, but they don't hold the cards.
He’s got 2 RFA years left. If he gets a 1 yr deal out of arbitration, he’s still an RFA next summer. So, yeah, the Canes have most if not all of the leverage. All Necas has is arbitration rights.

If he only had the 1yr of RFA left, it’d be a different story, but he has 2, so again, the team holds the keys to the car here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Carolina.

I don't think Montreal is willing to make a Necas deal unless it's 3-way because we would want the pieces you're looking to make room for by moving Matheson over Matheson.

It makes more sense to move Matheson to a 3rd team willing to move the right younger players for MM and forward those pieces to Carolina for Necas.
I agree with what you are saying here but I think the OP brings a fair value trade and props to him as foten the proposals are garbage around here.

Reactions: Chan790

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I don’t know. Matheson is a good bottom-4 D at best, nearing the end of his prime.

I don’t think 26OA is enough to bridge the gap between that and a top-end middle-6 forward.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I dont understand why the habs are involved in all this. This is a carolina problem. Nacus is due for a new contract at about 7+ mil per year and carolina does NOT have the money top pay him so now Carolina is looking to skrew the hell out of someone in order to fix their own problem WOW..
SO "go sell crazy somewhere else, we are all stocked up here"

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I dont understand why the habs are involved in all this. This is a carolina problem. Nacus is due for a new contract at about 7+ mil per year and carolina does NOT have the money top pay him so now Carolina is looking to skrew the hell out of someone in order to fix their own problem WOW..
Canes have plenty of money.

Montreal isn’t close to being stocked. Homerism at its finest

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t know. Matheson is a good bottom-4 D at best, nearing the end of his prime.

I don’t think 26OA is enough to bridge the gap between that and a top-end middle-6 forward.
He's a good bottom pair D and a fairly mediocre 2nd pair and a f***ing downright dog-water with a bit of food pellets dropped in them type of bad as a top pairing D*.

Habs fans are delusional on his value, but then again NHL GMs are also delusional.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
How does Carolina not have the money to pay Necas 7m per year?

Strange post with your talk of how they’re looking to “skrew the hell out of someone” :laugh:

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I think the best the Habs could offer would be a 4 quarters for a dollar kind of deal and Carolina probably aren’t interested in that type of deal, especially as the quarters would be made up of mostly futures:
26oa
Young d man (Struble or Harris)
Vet d (Savard)
Young froward that can contribute now (Ylonen, RHP, Roy, Kapanen, Beck, ect.)
It gives a few assets of cost certainty and a vet that can contribute.
Carolina says no as someone else can offer a higher level asset up front or on the back end that Mtl doesn’t have.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Canes, ideally, want a win-now return for Necas, meaning either a forward or a RHD at a similar age and/or similar amount of team control before UFA. Matheson actually fits the bill in term of team control but not in terms of what the Canes are looking for (He is a LD, not a RD).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One of the things some fans don't realize vs GMs is that they don't get to play NHL2000 with trades.

In Habs case, we pay significant assets for Necas, he doesn't turn out, we'll let's try Zegras, Oops, not what we thought it will be, let's try....

Much like a house, you construct a team with players that are the foundation of the team. Necas cost will make him a foundational piece and as such, the trade takes far more significance. Hughes would be far, far more cautious then any other trade.

It should be "common sense 101" but obviously since we are all great arm chair GMs, we can make them all day and twice on leap years.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
One of the things some fans don't realize vs GMs is that they don't get to play NHL2000 with trades.

In Habs case, we pay significant assets for Necas, he doesn't turn out, we'll let's try Zegras, Oops, not what we thought it will be, let's try....

Much like a house, you construct a team with players that are the foundation of the team. Necas cost will make him a foundational piece and as such, the trade takes far more significance. Hughes would be far, far more cautious then any other trade.

It should be "common sense 101" but obviously since we are all great arm chair GMs, we can make them all day and twice on leap years.
That goes both ways you realize. The Canes FO aren't going to give away Necas for assets that aren't going to be foundational for us.

They're forward looking...if we move Necas, it has to work for multiple years, not just next year.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That goes both ways you realize. The Canes FO aren't going to give away Necas for assets that aren't going to be foundational for us.

They're forward looking...if we move Necas, it has to work for multiple years, not just next year.
Of course it does.

These types of players get seriously close to "fill a hole, open a hole" in a teams structure.

And there is just a limited amount of holes one can open in a foundation before it starts to affect the structure of the team.

I don't know if Necas is a fit with what Hughes is building. Or the price is so high, that it doesn't make sense. It's no secret we want more offense, but at what price.

As a GM, I would kidnap Reinhart and keep going on building and developing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Considering the state of their defense with free agency approaching (though I understand Chatfield just signed and they're working on Slavin), i'm not sure they'd say no "pretty easily" to a quality Dman signed at a very affordable salary of 4.8M for the next 2 years.

The value isn't far off if at all IMO.
Slavin is under contract for another year, so only 1 year less than Matheson.

Slavin, Burns, Orlov and Chatfield are signed for next year and we haven't hit free agency yet. There's not an urgency to make trades out of panic because of their current defense situation.

I haven't watched Matheson enough to talk about value, so maybe they are interested in him. I just that I don't think the canes are going to over-react because of free

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He’s got 2 RFA years left. If he gets a 1 yr deal out of arbitration, he’s still an RFA next summer. So, yeah, the Canes have most if not all of the leverage. All Necas has is arbitration rights.

If he only had the 1yr of RFA left, it’d be a different story, but he has 2, so again, the team holds the keys to the car here.
Alright that's fair. My bad I thought he was older than that by a year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Slavin is under contract for another year, so only 1 year less than Matheson.

Slavin, Burns, Orlov and Chatfield are signed for next year and we haven't hit free agency yet. There's not an urgency to make trades out of panic because of their current defense situation.

I haven't watched Matheson enough to talk about value, so maybe they are interested in him. I just that I don't think the canes are going to over-react because of free
Be that as it may, my comment was more the value not being far off, I wasn't suggesting they should do it.

They could kost likely work another trade that benefits them more I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad