Confirmed with Link: Neal Pionk - four-year extension, AAV of $5.875 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Being big doesn't necessarily make you more physical. Dougie Hamilton is soft as baby shit compared to Pionk in both the taking and giving hits department, dude looks scared his own shadow is going to bury him in the corner sometimes.

But yeah if Pionk was bigger he'd definitely have more power behind his physical play. Reach is good if you can use it effectively not all bigger players do and sometimes the added size makes them slower and actually less effective in some ways, though there are plenty of exceptions there..

I think what the poster meant was if Pionk played EXACTLY like he does now but was 6' 3" and 20lb heavier he would be just that much better with the extra reach and weight to inflict damage when he hits. This would also cost the Jets about 2m a year more in todays wage environment for RWD. Thank god Pionk is the size he is.

Now that I have thought about Pionk new contract that I thought was about $500,000+ to expensive I've change my mind. This is a fair to good contract for the Jets. If Pionk who will now play with much better partners this season takes another step up in his play then this contract will be a steal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know. I think shorter term costs more. The total value of the contract comes into play. Why would Pionk sign for lower AAV and shorter term? He is giving up the security of longer term, he should expect more AAV in exchange.

That said I was expecting him to get the Morrissey AAV and 6 years. With the recent big contracts signed elsewhere, I was thinking he might get even more than that, up to ~6.75 or even a bit more.

I think he took a discount and signed for a favourable term too. I'm very happy with both term and AAV.

You always pay more when you buy up more UFA years. Always.

Security factors in for some players (more so for crash and bang forwards), but in the grand scheme of things maximizing on your return is always paramount. Pionk would likely bet on himself 10 times out of 10 that he will cash in far more at 30 then he would right now. I'm sure Pionk would love an 8 year contract but it would cost us likely in the neighbourhood of $7+ mil pretty easily. He's very likely betting on himself getting far more on a long term deal at 30 that he would right now. He likely doesn't care if it's with the Jets either and with the cap slated to rise pretty heavy in years 3 and 4 from now. It's pretty obvious what Pionk's camp is doing here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think what the poster meant was if Pionk played EXACTLY like he does now but was 6' 3" and 20lb heavier he would be just that much better with the extra reach and weight to inflict damage when he hits. This would also cost the Jets about 2m a year more in todays wage environment for RWD. Thank god Pionk is the size he is.

Now that I have thought about Pionk new contract that I thought was about $500,000+ to expensive I've change my mind. This is a fair to good contract for the Jets. If Pionk who will now play with much better partners this season takes another step up in his play then this contract will be a steal.

If Pinok was 6'3, with his physicality and skating and putting up a nearly 50 point pace, he'd be costing us in the $9m range pretty easily right now.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If we can manage to keep Copp on the team Chevy will get an A+++++++++ for this off season. I'm not sure how that is going to happen... I know there are a couple of scenarios... I just hope it happens.

Side note: hey, were back in the "Central" and not the North on HF. I was wondering when that was going to happen.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If we can manage to keep Copp on the team Chevy will get an A+++++++++ for this off season. I'm not sure how that is going to happen... I know there are a couple of scenarios... I just hope it happens.

Side note: hey, were back in the "Central" and not the North on HF. I was wondering when that was going to happen.

I would give Chevy A++++++++++ if he managed to retain Copp, keep Brossoit at league minimum and convince Seattle to take Booloo instead of Appleton. With only Copp re-signed, I call it A+. Not much else he could have done without committing crimes to do it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You always pay more when you buy up more UFA years. Always.

Security factors in for some players (more so for crash and bang forwards), but in the grand scheme of things maximizing on your return is always paramount. Pionk would likely bet on himself 10 times out of 10 that he will cash in far more at 30 then he would right now. I'm sure Pionk would love an 8 year contract but it would cost us likely in the neighbourhood of $7+ mil pretty easily. He's very likely betting on himself getting far more on a long term deal at 30 that he would right now. He likely doesn't care if it's with the Jets either and with the cap slated to rise pretty heavy in years 3 and 4 from now. It's pretty obvious what Pionk's camp is doing here.

Yes, I didn't allow for RFA/UFA years. That distinction seems to have faded a bit in recent years.

He clearly IS betting on himself. I'm not sure that is a good bet. He will be signing that next contract at 30, after his peak years. OTOH, the cap will probably have started to rise a little faster by then. Maybe that helps. I don't know what you mean about it being 'slated to rise pretty heavy'. The players have a billion $ hole to fill. The cap is 'slated' to rise by 1 mil per year for 2 or 3 years. Then we will see. That gradual rise just postpones the payback. It MIGHT start rising faster in 4 years time - or not.

Reactions: libertarian

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have a feeling the Jets are going to give Berdin every shot in TC to earn that backup spot. Comrie was just the backup plan to the backup plan.

Berdin was seriously bad the last half of last year. That is bad as an AHL goalie, much less the NHL. He will need to have taken a major step forward to get in front of Comrie at this point. That is b2b AHL seasons that he has faded badly. Maybe he is better with a backup's work load.

I think it is more likely they look for a more proven backup in the 1mil range than that they are counting on Berdin.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, I didn't allow for RFA/UFA years. That distinction seems to have faded a bit in recent years.

He clearly IS betting on himself. I'm not sure that is a good bet. He will be signing that next contract at 30, after his peak years. OTOH, the cap will probably have started to rise a little faster by then. Maybe that helps. I don't know what you mean about it being 'slated to rise pretty heavy'. The players have a billion $ hole to fill. The cap is 'slated' to rise by 1 mil per year for 2 or 3 years. Then we will see. That gradual rise just postpones the payback. It MIGHT start rising faster in 4 years time - or not.

I remember reading that due to the new TV deal and the likelihood that revenue will rebound by next year there will be a modest rise of $1 mil next summer, another $1m the summer after and then projected as much as $5-6m by the following summer. We could be in the $89-90m range by 25/26 and Pionk will be looking at UFA. Outside of some major long term overpayment I think you will see quite a few players opt for deal that expire around 24/25 or 25/26.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Berdin was seriously bad the last half of last year. That is bad as an AHL goalie, much less the NHL. He will need to have taken a major step forward to get in front of Comrie at this point. That is b2b AHL seasons that he has faded badly. Maybe he is better with a backup's work load.

I think it is more likely they look for a more proven backup in the 1mil range than that they are counting on Berdin.

He was above league average in the AHL in 19/20 and among the top 20 goalies in the league that had starter time and played more games than pretty much anyone ahead of him in that regard, in some cases double the games of anyone ahead of him. Last year he had a rough year with the Moose but was pretty solid in the KHL and I think the move as we have seen with a lot of guys who bounce between leagues doesn't always work out. Comrie just doesn't inspire any confidence from the players in front of him. He's 26 now, I think that ship has sailed. He's a depth guy/AHL lifer at this point.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Even if we lose Copp changing out Forbort and Poolman for Schmidt and Dillon gets a A+ from me.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

It fades for the guys signing their big deal right out of their ELC. The guys that make it into arb years still have to factor it in. Pionk is likely making about $3 million more over the first two years of this deal than he would have received through arbitration. And if he does the slow play to UFA he's really gambling on himself, performance and injury. I think 4 years is a good balance because he'll come into UFA as a 30 year old on the back end of his prime but likely with a good track record behind him and he can sign another 3-4 year big(ger if the cap rebounds) money deal.

Given some of the issues in the world right now and flat cap for 3 seasons I think a guy like Pionk who really only has a season and a bit of strong play is pretty happy to lock in $20 million (take a bit off for escrow next two years).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was above league average in the AHL in 19/20 and among the top 20 goalies in the league that had starter time and played more games than pretty much anyone ahead of him in that regard, in some cases double the games of anyone ahead of him. Last year he had a rough year with the Moose but was pretty solid in the KHL and I think the move as we have seen with a lot of guys who bounce between leagues doesn't always work out. Comrie just doesn't inspire any confidence from the players in front of him. He's 26 now, I think that ship has sailed. He's a depth guy/AHL lifer at this point.

Berdin needs another year as a starter imo, he is far too inconsistent atm. Age 26 isn't really that old for a goalie to establish himself these days, a number of them have at that age over the last number of years. Comrie has been very good as an AHL starter over the last 3 years and I wouldn't be writing him off yet as a decent backup. I doubt Berdin is at all in the plans atm.

Reactions: libertarian

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I think the major point here is neither Comrie or Birden have shown that they can be a NHL backup that will help the team.
TBH I like what the Jets have done here with both goalies. They basically said to to both goalies is win this job. Here is your chance. We will give you that chance. It's time for you to put up or shut up. If neither can then the Jets know they need to move on from both goalies. Finding a backup goalie when the season begins will be easy because there will be a half dozen of them on the waiver wire a day or two before the season starts when all teams have to reduce their rosters to fit their cap and RFA's that have to be waivered before they are sent down.

Reactions: Jets 31

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the major point here is neither Comrie or Birden have shown that they can be a NHL backup that will help the team.
TBH I like what the Jets have done here with both goalies. They basically said to to both goalies is win this job. Here is your chance. We will give you that chance. It's time for you to put up or shut up. If neither can then the Jets know they need to move on from both goalies. Finding a backup goalie when the season begins will be easy because there will be a half dozen of them on the waiver wire a day or two before the season starts when all teams have to reduce their rosters to fit their cap and RFA's that have to be waivered before they are sent down.

Only issue with waivers is if we go that route to replace Comrie and send him down we will have a small cap hit to pay on him as a one-way, small but enough to put us in some trouble being right up against the cap.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Only issue with waivers is if we go that route to replace Comrie and send him down we will have a small cap hit to pay on him as a one-way, small but enough to put us in some trouble being right up against the cap.

Totally agree with you. I'm not a fan of both Comrie or Birden but I will give the Jets management the benefit of the doubt that one of these 2 goalies can do the job. How many times have the Jets made calls on trade and draft pick that did not look good at the time but they work out exceedingly well over time? I will give Chevy the benefit of the doubt now because he has earned it over the last 10 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I remember reading that due to the new TV deal and the likelihood that revenue will rebound by next year there will be a modest rise of $1 mil next summer, another $1m the summer after and then projected as much as $5-6m by the following summer. We could be in the $89-90m range by 25/26 and Pionk will be looking at UFA. Outside of some major long term overpayment I think you will see quite a few players opt for deal that expire around 24/25 or 25/26.

That would be great. But the players' debt is pretty big and they are repaying it pretty slowly.

Not that different than what I first stated. That will be 3 years with a 1 mil increase and then a bigger increase in the 4th year.

That was just a guess though. If there is something firmer, as you say, then yes I can see that playing a part in negotiations. It seems to have benefited us in this case. I'll take it. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree about Comrie, AHL'er.

In '20 Berdin racked up his good numbers in the first half of the season, and was weak in the second half. Finishing with decent numbers on the whole season doesn't alter that.

Last year in the AHL:
Berdin - .897 in 30 games
Comrie - .947 in only 4 games
Comrie was better in '20 also.
I think that after last year, Berdin needs to prove himself.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It fades for the guys signing their big deal right out of their ELC. The guys that make it into arb years still have to factor it in. Pionk is likely making about $3 million more over the first two years of this deal than he would have received through arbitration. And if he does the slow play to UFA he's really gambling on himself, performance and injury. I think 4 years is a good balance because he'll come into UFA as a 30 year old on the back end of his prime but likely with a good track record behind him and he can sign another 3-4 year big(ger if the cap rebounds) money deal.

Given some of the issues in the world right now and flat cap for 3 seasons I think a guy like Pionk who really only has a season and a bit of strong play is pretty happy to lock in $20 million (take a bit off for escrow next two years).

Apparently so. But he signed for less than most here seemed to be expecting. And for less term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad