NCAA to allow CHL players to play hockey?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Essentially just two butthurt guys who rent good enough to make a career in hockey.

That's such a strange case. It's been filed in New York State which has no jurisdiction on a Canadian league. I suspect this will be thrown out of court or even completely ignored.

Reactions: Voight

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Forsure, whatever you want to call it, I'm just saying he had everything supplied or paid for about 80%.

What's the actual reason NIL money can't be paid? is it because student visas can't make money working? I don't think that's in the spirit of the rule/law. Should probably change as well.

This should bump AHL pay as well. Like we saw with Cutter and RM, I would also rather sit at Michigan being a big deal with lots of "entertainment" playing 30ish games a year getting good NIL money, then playing for 90K riding the bus in the AHL.... I can understand these players point.
Milwaukee rides a bus for games in Chicago (90 minutes), Rockford and Iowa (Des Moines, 4 or 5 hours). I believe that Grand Rapids is 4 hours. Usually, if the Admirals go to Cleveland (7 hours), they fly. The team plays better by flying versus driving at that distance.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That's such a strange case. It's been filed in New York State which has no jurisdiction on a Canadian league. I suspect this will be thrown out of court or even completely ignored.

I don't think it's quite so simple, although absolutely CHL will argue that New York State is the wrong venue for any such lawsuit. But the CHL does have operations in the US - there are franchises in Michigan, Washington State and Oregon. As well the CHL does draft players from the US, including New York state.

I think the better question is one of standing. The players involved have already aged out of the CHL. It would be like if I suddenly filed a lawsuit against the CHL demanding they stop the draft - who the hell am I? I'm in my 40s.

I suspect there's some vulnerability here though. The way the pro leagues can justify their drafts is because it is part of a CBA - that the players have agreed to it. There is however no CHLPA (even though there was an attempt to form one), and no CBA.

By the way - the one thing I guarantee the CHL will not do is ignore this lawsuit.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad