Other Sports: NCAA Thread v12

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
@JojoTheWhale, Starks was lined up at soft star/nickel basically the whole game outside of the first series. I wouldn't hate that approach moving forward if Aguero's not ready or they just feel like they have to get Bolden on the field in some capacity. Putting your best playmaker closer to the LOS seems like a good idea.

Btw, Clemson fans have a lot to riot about with Dabo, given his philosophy on roster management, but he shit his pants yesterday and coached that game hoping to just prevent a blowout.

They completely abandoned the man concepts and went almost exclusively to cover 3/cover 2. Now, we can still give Bobo plenty of shit for needing to get to halftime before adjusting to crossers, but that was a clear indicator to me that they didn't think they could get home on the pass rush and Carson was going to torch them in man (god help them if they were worried about Carson outside of the pocket).

On offense, they ran zero tempo until it was already a three possession game. What? That was supposed be Riley's unlock to get Klubnik to the next level. It also allowed Georgia to freely substitute and rotate on the defensive line to get their personnel packages in place. Every team in an America tries to run tempo against UGA just to keep their guys on the field in certain personnel looks.

If you told me Dabo had money on UGA yesterday, I would have a hard time denying it. He not only abandoned his own philosophies, but he actually went to things that Georgia's likes in matchups lol. What a doofus.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
@JojoTheWhale @flyershockey PFF had AJ Harris as one the top rated players for Penn State yesterday.

On a side note as he had stops at Georgia & Florida but in one game I can see why Jalen Kimber is so frustrating. Athletically he’s got it all but he’s just not a good football player.
AJ is going to be good. He just didn't want to wait two years for a fair shake as a boundary corner.

Kimber has just never put it all together. IIRC, weight was a problem at UGA. He just never put enough on to be effective.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
BK leaves Notre Dame because he thought the upside was limited given the recruiting difficulties at a school like Notre Dame. Marcus Freeman comes in, starts recruiting at a higher level and is now starting to win the type of game BK would find a way to lose. LSU has gone backwards in both categories in the last season+.

Reactions: renberg

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale, Starks was lined up at soft star/nickel basically the whole game outside of the first series. I wouldn't hate that approach moving forward if Aguero's not ready or they just feel like they have to get Bolden on the field in some capacity. Putting your best playmaker closer to the LOS seems like a good idea.

Btw, Clemson fans have a lot to riot about with Dabo, given his philosophy on roster management, but he shit his pants yesterday and coached that game hoping to just prevent a blowout.

They completely abandoned the man concepts and went almost exclusively to cover 3/cover 2. Now, we can still give Bobo plenty of shit for needing to get to halftime before adjusting to crossers, but that was a clear indicator to me that they didn't think they could get home on the pass rush and Carson was going to torch them in man (god help them if they were worried about Carson outside of the pocket).

On offense, they ran zero tempo until it was already a three possession game. What? That was supposed be Riley's unlock to get Klubnik to the next level. It also allowed Georgia to freely substitute and rotate on the defensive line to get their personnel packages in place. Every team in an America tries to run tempo against UGA just to keep their guys on the field in certain personnel looks.

If you told me Dabo had money on UGA yesterday, I would have a hard time denying it. He not only abandoned his own philosophies, but he actually went to things that Georgia's likes in matchups lol. What a doofus.

I want him to stay at Star. Let your best playmaker make plays. Allen and Mondo look great. That means you have 3 excellent tacklers with the athleticism to cover ground all close to the ball.

@JojoTheWhale @flyershockey PFF had AJ Harris as one the top rated players for Penn State yesterday.

On a side note as he had stops at Georgia & Florida but in one game I can see why Jalen Kimber is so frustrating. Athletically he’s got it all but he’s just not a good football player.

Harris has legit NFL talent. I think Tom Allen is a better fit for him anyway tbh. I would be shocked if both sides weren’t happy with the change.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I kind of agree with Bud Elliott. He was saying on his show that the Dabo/Clemson transfer portal take to him isn’t really applicable when going up against Georgia. Like you can give them the best transfer class out of this last cycle & they still lose on Saturday to Georgia. He said that’s a more valid talking point when they lose to someone like Duke.

Like Ohio State might be the only team in the country that’s within distance to the overall talent pool Georgia has.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I kind of agree with Bud Elliott. He was saying on his show that the Dabo/Clemson transfer portal take to him isn’t really applicable when going up against Georgia. Like you can give them the best transfer class out of this last cycle & they still lose on Saturday to Georgia. He said that’s a more valid talking point when they lose to someone like Duke.

Like Ohio State might be the only team in the country that’s within distance to the overall talent pool Georgia has.

My Clemson take is basically that they did have some creative schematic advantages, but the country caught up. Yes, the portal would make them better. Like you said, it’s not making them Georgia or Ohio St. I hate Dabo, but he’s still a good coach. I think Chris Klieman is an even better coach, but that doesn’t make K St a contender.

I think we all just flat out got fooled by an unbelievable run of WR talent to go along with 2 solar eclipse QBs. The OL is the only thing propping up that husk of an offense. It feels hot takey, but this might be the best OL they’ve had to me. The defense has figured it out again.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, the transfer portal isn't even biggest drag on their roster philosophy. Dabo is still taking smaller HS classes when the rest of college football is over-recruiting to account for transfer attrition. Their lack of depth is ultimately what gets exposed.

Having two generational QB's masked the overall roster deficiencies for a time, and to his credit, Dabo and his staff used to nail the evals on HS players at a pretty high rate. That seems to have fallen off as well, especially when it comes to team speed. Georgia players were running away from them in the open field in the second half.

Either way, Dabo either needs to re-evaluate his roster philosophies or prepare himself to the fact that his days at the top tier are likely behind him. They'll still be pretty good in the ACC, but it'll look more like the early 2010's versus the latter part of the decade. In a 12 team format, that still gets you a shot at the playoff, but as a one and done team versus being a real contender.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My Clemson take is basically that they did have some creative schematic advantages, but the country caught up. Yes, the portal would make them better. Like you said, it’s not making them Georgia or Ohio St. I hate Dabo, but he’s still a good coach. I think Chris Klieman is an even better coach, but that doesn’t make K St a contender.

I think we all just flat out got fooled by an unbelievable run of WR talent to go along with 2 solar eclipse QBs. The OL is the only thing propping up that husk of an offense. It feels hot takey, but this might be the best OL they’ve had to me. The defense has figured it out again.

Little to no coaching turnover either during that run. They got so many more years out of Venables that other schools with that type of on the field success on that side of the ball would have lost their coordinator much sooner under those circumstances. That guy was seemingly not interested in head coaching unless it was a top tier school.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Little to no coaching turnover either during that run. They got so many more years out of Venables that other schools with that type of on the field success on that side of the ball would have lost their coordinator much sooner under those circumstances. That guy was seemingly not interested in head coaching unless it was a top tier school.

Venables is the most underrated guy in this century of football to me. He was the only one using sim pressures consistently at a top school by 2014. Venables was the guy who took really good ideas from small schools like his counter to the typical QB Option C3 beater. Just let DBs carry the verts, put a LB in the MOF, and tell him the QB is his.

I didn't realize this until I started looking through actual playbooks, but Venables is one of a tiny number of coaches who includes run fits out of every coverage. This 2017 example is the level of detail he provides:

GOza3-Bcb0-AAu-Fws-format-jpg-name-4096x4096.jpg

Venables starts with way less calls so that playing fast is guaranteed and then gets into ridiculous looks out of them. He had an unbelievable knack both putting hybrid players in situations to succeed. There was a game in 2018 at VA Tech where he split Austin Bryant (6'5" DE) so far out it was basically a Wide 9 to the Bunched side to kill their run game. He specialized in trapping QBs into making hot throws where he wanted them. Burrow getting rattled and eventually figuring it out in that NCG was incredible to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad