OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2022

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Richard Bland went back to back in senior majors after his win in a playoff at the US Senior Open today. Qualified now for both the regular PGA and US Opens next year. Every single one of the old vets that went to LIV has fallen off - except Richard Bland of all people...

He's actually been quite good on LIV despite his age and actual talent. I think he's not allowed to play in the Senior British Open which is a shame.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Patiently waiting for Crews to make his debut
He only just got to AAA and his numbers there are bad (75 wRC+), and the outfield's pretty packed now with Wood, Thomas, Winker, and Young too. I wouldn't count on seeing him get the call anytime soon.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So Tiger turns down the Ryder Cup Captaincy and they give it to the guy they snubbed last Ryder Cup…Keegan Bradley…..some real geniuses running the PGA Tour (even though Keegan is a nice fiery type that you want)….wonder if he appoints himself to the team if he doesn’t automatically qualify…

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
At least they didn’t take him over Skenes (I remember the Nats being 2nd that draft … i hope)
Yeah, the Pirates took Skenes 1st overall. I'll admit I was happy they did cause I wanted Crews more, which looks pretty dumb in hindsight. The one the Nats might regret long term is passing on Wyatt Langford, who the Rangers took 4th overall. He's already in the majors, putting up better numbers there than Crews is in AAA, and getting constant Mike Trout comparisons. AAA pitching by the way is about the worst its ever been, which makes it extra concerning that Crews can't hack it there yet. There's been a ton of guys this year who rip up AAA pitching then come up to the majors and look totally over-matched, so if Crews is over-matched at AAA he's got a lot of work to do.

That's all total hindsight though, Skenes and Crews were the consensus top 2 on everybody's list going into the draft. Crews was supposed to be an incredibly safe pick, nobody saw him struggling the way he has.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Yeah, the Pirates took Skenes 1st overall. I'll admit I was happy they did cause I wanted Crews more, which looks pretty dumb in hindsight. The one the Nats might regret long term is passing on Wyatt Langford, who the Rangers took 4th overall. He's already in the majors, putting up better numbers there than Crews is in AAA, and getting constant Mike Trout comparisons. AAA pitching by the way is about the worst its ever been, which makes it extra concerning that Crews can't hack it there yet. There's been a ton of guys this year who rip up AAA pitching then come up to the majors and look totally over-matched, so if Crews is over-matched at AAA he's got a lot of work to do.

That's all total hindsight though, Skenes and Crews were the consensus top 2 on everybody's list going into the draft. Crews was supposed to be an incredibly safe pick, nobody saw him struggling the way he has.
Jeez no offense, Kal, but hindsight 20/20 less than the year after the draft seems.... I'll stop there but it does seem somewhat early. Look at Wood's strikeouts last year was passing a shadow on his apparent future. I admit I wanted Skenes but with the caveat of the Nationals really can't develop the pitchers they draft. I think they are decent at trading for pitchers and it a least one of the best FA pitcher signings all time.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Jeez no offense, Kal, but hindsight 20/20 less than the year after the draft seems.... I'll stop there but it does seem somewhat early. Look at Wood's strikeouts last year was passing a shadow on his apparent future. I admit I wanted Skenes but with the caveat of the Nationals really can't develop the pitchers they draft. I think they are decent at trading for pitchers and it a least one of the best FA pitcher signings all time.
The difference is that Wood was always supposed to have a questionable hit tool with power as the carrying skill, so the strikeouts were expected and no one was too worried cause the power was playing the way it was supposed to. Wood's also almost a year younger than Crews, so struggles are more acceptable.

For Crews it's the reverse. The hit tool was supposed to be the carrying skill to make up for the lack of power, so the fact that his best tool isn't transferring to the pros is highly concerning. He's also a college prospect and was given pretty conservative assignments, so he should've been hitting the ground running. Without the hit tool he's basically Robles, cause the power is as bad as we feared too. Hell, Robles showed a significantly better hit tool than Crews has at AA and AAA while going through those levels 1-2 years earlier than Crews, and we know how he turned out.

Some of this is influenced by the fact that I'm a dynasty baseball guy, and my strategy there since I never have early picks in the prospect drafts is to constantly churn through high risk, high upside prospects, dumping them as soon as they have a bad year. I wouldn't be dumping Crews if I had him, but I'd be really worried.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Skenes looks better then thought being all star starter after a handful of games. The worry is always the same that hes going to blow out that arm throwing 100+ mph every pitch.
And I wanted Skenes over Crews

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So Tiger turns down the Ryder Cup Captaincy and they give it to the guy they snubbed last Ryder Cup…Keegan Bradley…..some real geniuses running the PGA Tour (even though Keegan is a nice fiery type that you want)….wonder if he appoints himself to the team if he doesn’t automatically qualify…

I don't have a problem with this. Keegan is a Team USA 4 lyfe kind of guy and a regional presence (although Boston centric vs NY for Bethpage).

Tiger has always been more of a mercenary so that doesn't surprise me, either. I can see him wanting to focus more on reviving his personal career and his health (and all the legal PGA stuff) over the next year+ instead of the Ryder Cup prep.

What's the issue? KB being 2nd choice? Stenson was tapped to be the EUR C for 2023 but the LIV thing knocked him out per the Euro tour rules. Luke Donald did a pretty damn good job instead.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't have a problem with this. Keegan is a Team USA 4 lyfe kind of guy and a regional presence (although Boston centric vs NY for Bethpage).

Tiger has always been more of a mercenary so that doesn't surprise me, either. I can see him wanting to focus more on reviving his personal career and his health (and all the legal PGA stuff) over the next year+ instead of the Ryder Cup prep.

What's the issue? KB being 2nd choice? Stenson was tapped to be the EUR C for 2023 but the LIV thing knocked him out per the Euro tour rules. Luke Donald did a pretty damn good job instead.

He’s great. They should have selected him for the last team, and this now feels like a consolation prize. I hope he selects himself. Can’t be worse than Zach Johnson….

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
France roster out

Bilal made the team Sarr did not

Sarr is favorite in NBA Rookie of the year currently
Bilal won't be on the summer league team I believe since he made it.

So next years NBA draft looks like it could pretty stacked though naturally it is early.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Bilal won't be on the summer league team I believe since he made it.

So next years NBA draft looks like it could pretty stacked though naturally it is early.

Cooper Flag making waves recently. If we could nab Sarr this year, why not Flagg next year? Dream big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad