• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This makes no sense.

If Kessel was slow, he likely wouldn't have had near the success he did.

Marner is weak and slow...
Kessel was out of shape and fast..

(..and he wasn't easy to knock off his skates. )

See the difference?

Recall that one of the main traits Babs looked for in players was their skating ability. Marner is small/weak and ranks in the bottom 50% in skating speed.

Babcock not concerned with Marleau's age: 'Have you seen him skate?
It makes total sense.
Kessel was fast, he didn’t work out. Yet he was still fast.

What would have made no sense was for Kessel to try and change the way he was by working out. He just stayed the course and stayed with what got him to the NHL

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don’t even understand why this is news. It’s a private event. If he doesn’t want media there he doesn’t want media there. Matthews was at recently at an event they asked about the leafs and Mitch and he shut that down immediately and wouldn’t answer anything leafs related either. Those events aren’t the time and place. Regular season and playoffs media should have free reign to ask anything.

Reactions: Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Idol worshippers: he scores 90+ points a year (regular season).

Common sense crowd: he disappears in the playoffs.

I suppose it's a matter of which season you think is more important.

You think lying is common sense? ... PPG player over the last three playoffs... 25 games / 25 points.

This makes no sense.

See the difference?

Recall that one of the main traits Babs looked for in players was their skating ability. Marner is small/weak and ranks in the bottom 50% in skating speed.

25 points in 25 games over the last 3 years. I'm sure you have a point but you are taking a damn long time to make to it.

The driving factor behind the training, however, is to generate the greatest amount of power with each push of the blade.
For Mitch Marner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, this type of edge-work training began when he was four years old.
“Edges are the things that get you out of a lot of trouble and corners against big guys through the middle of the ice. Here, I can gain a lot of speed off that and, I think, confuse a lot of players,” Marner told Global News.

The 22-year-old alternate captain of the Leafs — and recently announced NHL all-star — is known for his edge work, agility and ability to create space on the ice.
“There are a lot of big guys in the NHL, especially defencemen… A quick cut back can really turn a defenceman inside out,” he said. “That’s something that I always train for, is trying to do that quick cut back and cut in someone’s lane and get my time and space and freedom to make a play and see the ice.”
Edge work is a crucial component to having balance and control on the ice.
Susan Ritchie, a power skating instructor near the Toronto area who coaches both figure skaters and hockey players, said her training differs depending on the client.
“Weight over the blade, pressed into the ice at a specific angle, creates propulsion,” explained Ritchie.
The more you talk about the important things for hockey players, the more I'm convinced that you have never played the game. Your knowledge is superficial at best.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
This makes no sense.

See the difference?

Said like a person who has no f-ing clue just how deadly Kessel's shot was.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Considering the needless distraction from a very small but negative ignorant crowd that is hating on Mitch, I think it's the respectful thing to keep the conversation about the charity. Not every interaction needs to be a lynch mob at city square.
Very small is very subjective. What is very small to you? Give us a number, so people can respond accordingly.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You think lying is common sense? ... PPG player over the last three playoffs... 25 games / 25 points.

25 points in 25 games over the last 3 years. I'm sure you have a point but you are taking a damn long time to make to it.

The driving factor behind the training, however, is to generate the greatest amount of power with each push of the blade.
For Mitch Marner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, this type of edge-work training began when he was four years old.
“Edges are the things that get you out of a lot of trouble and corners against big guys through the middle of the ice. Here, I can gain a lot of speed off that and, I think, confuse a lot of players,” Marner told Global News.

The 22-year-old alternate captain of the Leafs — and recently announced NHL all-star — is known for his edge work, agility and ability to create space on the ice.
“There are a lot of big guys in the NHL, especially defencemen… A quick cut back can really turn a defenceman inside out,” he said. “That’s something that I always train for, is trying to do that quick cut back and cut in someone’s lane and get my time and space and freedom to make a play and see the ice.”
Susan Ritchie, a power skating instructor near the Toronto area who coaches both figure skaters and hockey players, said her training differs depending on the client.
“Weight over the blade, pressed into the ice at a specific angle, creates propulsion,” explained Ritchie.
The more you talk about the important things for hockey players, the more I'm convinced that you have never played the game. Your knowledge is superficial at best.
Posting more stuff on Marner from 5-6 years ago? Your only proving my point further.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Or why would anybody use such a whip like stick…. Again players are what they are and have achieved great success just by being in the NHL some as top players as well. But the fans know better what he should be doing and how he should play.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Again...only more reason to why out of shape Kessel can play playoff hockey and skinny, slow, weak shot Marner can't.

Your only proving my point further. I appreciate it

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

No one is disputing his talent, but we wonder why he doesn’t use it to its fullest in the playoffs. Does he forget how to use his edge work in April and May? Is the ice too soft? Or, is he not interested? No on knows.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Shhh, for those of us who don't really care one way or the other this is great summer entertainment.

Don't ruin it for us.
Exactly. It’s been great entertainment. I will put a bunch on ignore come hockey season as some are clearly trolls but it’s been funny so far.

Reactions: Kazparov

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
ACC had fair statement.

If you are fast where do you sit in the Rocket Richard trophy? Selke? What is the name of that Fastest skater award again?

Mitch is a 90+ point guy all day.
All day long in the regular season but not so much in the playoffs………he was awesome in the playoffs this year, just incredible. We should give him what ever he wants

This makes no sense.

See the difference?

Yup and Kessel was the Ironman of the league. Marner fell all on his own doing one of his famous loop de do’s circling around the net and gave himself a high ankle sprain, yup the picture of fitness and toughness right there

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
8wsbro.jpg

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sadly those two things can't go hand-in-hand if you look at the cap structure.

You keep Marner, the cup window is gone.

By the time the cap % as a core looks reasonable, they will be aged out and/or Matthews will leave.
That is one possibility.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Different sport but Jalen Brunson, a star for the Knicks just took significantly less money on his new contract ($113 million less than he could’ve gotten) to help his team be able to field a contending team going forward.

Obviously different cap world between leagues but we aren’t/weren’t asking our Core guys to take anywhere close to that much less on their contracts yet they still couldn’t be arsed to give the franchise just a little bit of a break on that front. Matthews still signing short deals for maximum money and Willy is getting what he feels he missed out on the first go around.

I don’t know how much Mitch cares about his reputation but it would go a long way to mending his relationship with this fanbase if his next contract were a modest raise and not $12+ million. $11.25 AAV like Willy or even just slightly more at $11.5 would be seen as a good gesture.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sadly those two things can't go hand-in-hand if you look at the cap structure.

You keep Marner, the cup window is gone.

By the time the cap % as a core looks reasonable, they will be aged out and/or Matthews will leave.
You can believe that without all the lies and irrationally hate. Maturity may be a tall ask for some though.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad