Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
Kingston may be kicking the tires on Kitcheners Matthew Andonovski to strengthen their D with the picks they get for Frasca.
Kitchener has to sell off.
Intresting to see where Rehkoph ends up took
This would be wild. Only thing I'd be hesitant about is that your top 3 D would all be left handed. I know Troy likes his left/right pairings, but honestly that's a minor hold up.

Burns-Andonovski
Pieniniemi-Williamson
McGowan-Uens
Velliaris

That's a pretty solid D core with two guys that can log big minutes in Burns and Ando, and I'm sure Pittsburgh would want Pieniniemi to be playing in all situations as well. Hopefully that comes to fruition.

As for Rehkopf, I'd imagine Brampton/Brantford would be all over that with all the picks they have. That seems obvious to me, but I'm sure he'd have a strong say in a landing spot.

Why would you not?
They will play half of the game.
You think Burns is gonna take a back seat to the new guy?
Burns is about to be the captain of the team.
Burns shouldn't be the captain. He can keep his A, but the C would hurt the team honestly. Takes so many dumb penalties, is a hot head, doesn't seem like much of a leader unless he's a completely different person in the room. IMO, that would be a mistake.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't think as many first picks get moved as last season. Still, Andonovski might be not be in the budget for Kingston. In addition to Guindon, the team needs to acquire two decent bottom six forwards, right?
Mathurin would be an ideal OA D imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
This would be wild. Only thing I'd be hesitant about is that your top 3 D would all be left handed. I know Troy likes his left/right pairings, but honestly that's a minor hold up.

Burns-Andonovski
Pieniniemi-Williamson
McGowan-Uens
Velliaris

That's a pretty solid D core with two guys that can log big minutes in Burns and Ando, and I'm sure Pittsburgh would want Pieniniemi to be playing in all situations as well. Hopefully that comes to fruition.

As for Rehkopf, I'd imagine Brampton/Brantford would be all over that with all the picks they have. That seems obvious to me, but I'm sure he'd have a strong say in a landing spot.

Burns shouldn't be the captain. He can keep his A, but the C would hurt the team honestly. Takes so many dumb penalties, is a hot head, doesn't seem like much of a leader unless he's a completely different person in the room. IMO, that would be a mistake.

I mentioned his discipline when I heard this as well.
There is a talk that will happen to make sure he understands the responsibilities that come with the captain role.
He’s a different player when he puts on a Canada jersey and they want him to be more of the Canada player then the Kingston player we have seen discipline wise.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I don't think as many first picks get moved as last season. Still, Andonovski might be not be in the budget for Kingston. In addition to Guindon, the team needs to acquire two decent bottom six forwards, right?
Kingston will need to add two top six centres to be a contender. I don’t think Tyler Hopkins is ready to be a top six forward on a team that wants to contend. They also need to add a depth forward and a top four defenceman.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kingston will need to add two top six centres to be a contender. I don’t think Tyler Hopkins is ready to be a top six forward on a team that wants to contend. They also need to add a depth forward and a top four defenceman.
Maybe. I'm not convinced Guindon is a bonifide #1; however, I do believe Meidema, Hopkins, and Soto could prove to be a very good second line. McNamara is probably an ideal 3rd centre.

Last edited:

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
I feel like Guindon is a good 1C. Yes he had a down year in Owen Sound, but the team itself did. I've heard he's over the moon about a new start and the chance to play under Mann. Battaglia-Guindon-Soto/Uronen could be a very fun combination on the top line.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I feel like Guindon is a good 1C. Yes he had a down year in Owen Sound, but the team itself did. I've heard he's over the moon about a new start and the chance to play under Mann. Battaglia-Guindon-Soto/Uronen could be a very fun combination on the top line.
Guidon is a 1C.
It doesn’t take watching much video to see it.
East teams fans on here won’t be very familiar with his game.
He’s a very strong C in the O.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Guidon is a 1C.
It doesn’t take watching much video to see it.
East teams fans on here won’t be very familiar with his game.
He’s a very strong C in the O.

I agree Guindon is a #1 C, Idk if he can be an all-purpose #1 C that I’d be comfortable with in round two of the playoffs.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The challenge Kingston is going to have is the fact that brampton and Brantford have more to offer trade wise

Also, they, along with Oshawa and possibly Barrie, are starting with a good core better than Kingston.

The other thing to consider is that Kingstonwill lose a lot of the thepleyrs that they are counting on and possibly trading for next year, so you are going to to need the draft picks and keep some of the young players.

Coming back next year
Miedma (OA)
McNamara(OA)
Cavalinn(OA)
Battaglia
Hopkins
Weir
Soto (OA)
Buttar
1st round pick (hopefully)
Euro pick

defence
McGowan (OA)
Williamson
Uens (OA)
Vellaris
Euro pick

Vaccari(OA)
Betts

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The challenge Kingston is going to have is the fact that brampton and Brantford have more to offer trade wise

Also, they, along with Oshawa and possibly Barrie, are starting with a good core better than Kingston.

The other thing to consider is that Kingstonwill lose a lot of the thepleyrs that they are counting on and possibly trading for next year, so you are going to to need the draft picks and keep some of the young players.

Coming back next year
Miedma (OA)
McNamara(OA)
Cavalinn(OA)
Battaglia
Hopkins
Weir
Soto (OA)
Buttar
Euro pick

defence
McGowan (OA)
Williamson
Uens (OA)
Vellaris
Euro pick

Vaccari(OA)
Betts

The challenge for Oshawa is adding enough to keep up with other hopeful contenders with less picks than all of them.
The challenge for Barrie is trying to add when every conservation starts and ends with the 5th overall pick.
The challenge for Brampton is trying to contend this season while improving their chances next season. That team is built for 2025-26.
The challenge for Brantford is trying to contend with its’ goaltending and defence still in the rebuilding stage.
Sudbury might not know what their roster will consist of until November. They could go into the break with a split roster of all-stars and rookies being far removed from the top of the standings.

Every team faces challenges.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The challenge for Oshawa is adding enough to keep up with other hopeful contenders with less picks than all of them.
The challenge for Barrie is trying to add when every conservation starts and ends with the 5th overall pick.
The challenge for Brampton is trying to contend this season while improving their chances next season. That team is built for 2025-26.
The challenge for Brantford is trying to contend with its’ goaltending and defence still in the rebuilding stage.
Sudbury might not know what their roster will consist of until November. They could go into the break with a split roster of all-stars and rookies being far removed from the top of the standings.

Every team faces challenges.

I don’t think Brampton’s window being next season is as cut and dry as you. There is no guarantee Martone will be back for his 4th season. As a late birthdate with his draft status, it may be less likely that he returns vs graduates. He is trending as a top 5 pick. If he continues his development curve, I actually doubt he returns. Misa, MacDonnell, and Harding are their three most likely returning OA’s. All are NHL drafted so there is no guarantee any o f the three will return.

Although a portion of their core are young, they have an opportunity to add 2-3 OA’s to their current roster. I think it is very possible that with a surplus of OA’s on the market, they could fill their OA positions very cheaply, add at least two impact OA’s, and then maybe add one 19 year old.

If Valentini does not report (which seems likely right now), they potentially have two key tradable assets next year at the deadline. I;m not saying they would do it but they do have those assets. There is the possibility that they use draft picks this year and the two 1st rounders next year.

Personally, I think they will be more conservative but if Oshawa is not in true contention because they are not fortunate with their players returning, I think Brampton adding two key OA’s likely makes them the class of the conference. They won’t need to move much if they jump on the OA’s early. They still have flexibility to adjust at the deadline if they need to.

I think this is a two year window provided Martone returns. If Martone doesn’t return, their year is this year. Martone is the type of player that is that playoff guy that pushes the team forward.

Reactions: frontsfan67

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

Coming back next year
Miedma (OA)
McNamara(OA)
Cavalinn(OA)
Battaglia
Hopkins
Weir
Soto (OA)
Buttar
Euro pick

defence
McGowan (OA)
Williamson
Uens (OA)
Vellaris
Euro pick

Vaccari(OA)
Betts
As far as I'm concerned 25/26 should be a sell year. Their '06 class is incredibly weak - at this point they'd only have Battaglia and Williamson (assuming Frasca does end up traded). I think you move Battaglia for a haul and then depending on how the '07 and '08 draft class develops, consider re-tooling for a run in 26/27 with Hopkins/Weir/Velliaris as 19 year olds, as well as hopefully an impact import or two.

If Miedema remains unsigned he could be one of the top OAs next year along with Soto who're available to be moved. Vaccari could be moved for depth or could stay as a mentor for Betts.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
You guys got a heck of a player in Ceddy.
He will be your 1C , PP.

He is a great guy, great with the fans, leader in the room, he will be agreat team mate.
I'll go on a limb and predict 40 G this season.
Rely going to miss him in OS.
With the shtshow here the last couple years, I think he decided he wanted a fresh start .
Kingston will be a great fit .

The Attack got a great return which will help us as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Does that seem like a slight overpay for an OA in the offseason in a year that looks to have a surplus of OA’s? That seems like the deadline price, no? I am curious to see if that sets the bar for OA’s. Maybe it is more because he is a centre? Thoughts?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Does that seem like a slight overpay for an OA in the offseason in a year that looks to have a surplus of OA’s? That seems like the deadline price, no? I am curious to see if that sets the bar for OA’s. Maybe it is more because he is a centre? Thoughts?
Picks are later, probably a bit more because of that . If it was all 24/25 it may be a bit less.

could potentially be the best 04 traded until the deadline as well

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Picks are later, probably a bit more because of that . If it was all 24/25 it may be a bit less.

Good point.

EDIT:
Regardless, I jsut looked at some of last year’s deadline deals for OA’s and even though the picks in this deal are a little deeper, many of the deadline OA deals for key players were also somewhat deep with maybe one pick nearer in the future. Still feels heavy in this market or at least base don what this market is shaping up to look like.

I think there will be a handful of Connor Punnet value deals out there to start the season for teams that are more patient.

Last edited:

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Not a knock on the player but I felt like it was an overpay too...
No doubt what is going to bring but that was alot back for an OA albeit an OA who is likely your 1C..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I thought it was quite fair, maybe light considering the 2 & 3 picks are in '26 & '27.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
With the Guindon move offiicial, based on the draft pick DB the Fronts still have:

4 2s, (2 -'26, 2 - '28)
5 3s (1 - '25, 1 - '26, 1 - '27, 2 - '28)
3 4s (2 - '25, 1 - '26)
4 5s (1 - '25, 1 - '26, 2 - '27)

Assuming any Frasca return has at least 3-4 premium picks (possibly less if they get a player for him), they'll be in decent shape to be a buyer this year.

Needs: 2nd pair D (Not convinced Uens/McGowan is enough)
Winger depth (After Battaglia, Hopkins, Soto, Uronen all they have signed are Weir, Buttar and McQuaig)

I'm more and more starting to think Heyes starts the year as the 3rd OA because of the lack of winger depth - but there's still tons of time for more moves.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Exactly. I thought there would be more 2nds and 3rds lol. Only 2nds and 3rds were in 2027 and 2028 that’s an awesome trade imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad