Nationality as a Surname only in Czech or Slovak?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Does Nemec really count? According to Wikipedia it means German,mute (or "(he) does not speak (Slavic). Word for German is Deutsch.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah baby, its Summer.

What i noticed is this little curiosity. Only in Czech or Slovakia you have players, that have nationality as a surname. For Example:

Simon Nemec aka Simon German
Pavel Francouz aka Pavel French
Tomas Slovak
Petr Cech aka Petr Czech

Why dont we have John Canada? Or Mike American?

Is this common in Sweden, Finland?
Ruotsalainen, Virolainen, Venäläinen... For example, Reijo Ruotsalainen who was a pretty good NHL player. Ruotsalainen is "Swedish" in Finnish.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Actor Ron Canada.

1721817413331.jpeg

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
Holland is a region of the Netherlands, but almost!
True. I do believe, though, for example, that we have to wait to get a player called "Johnny United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" for a while. Might as well pick the almosties :)?

Edit: can I offer you a Steven Finn here?

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
True. I do believe, though, for example, that we have to wait to get a player called "Johnny United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" for a while. Might as well pick the almosties :)?

Edit: can I offer you a Steven Finn here?
Difference is that England is a country, Northern Ireland is a country, Scotland is a country etc.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Oh, we have Canada as a last name alright. I give you, CFL Legend Tom Canada - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Canada

America is different. It is based off of the name of the continent, and I don't think I have heard any continents as a last name. I mean, we have heard of Steve French, but not Steve Europe.

The real answer is that most surnames come from outside of the Americas originally. Most people immigrated here, and naming conventions for people indigenous to the Americas wouldn't have the colonial names for locations as part of the naming conventions,
Ex BC Lion, Tom Europe

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yeah baby, its Summer.

What i noticed is this little curiosity. Only in Czech or Slovakia you have players, that have nationality as a surname. For Example:

Simon Nemec aka Simon German
Pavel Francouz aka Pavel French
Tomas Slovak
Petr Cech aka Petr Czech

Why dont we have John Canada? Or Mike American?

Is this common in Sweden, Finland?
German and French are not Nationalities, they are languages. Their last names aren't Germany and France, which would be the equivalent of Canada. Canada and American aren't equivalent either, it would be Canadian and American (though you'd then have people suggesting Canadian's are Americans as well as it's North America).

Anyway.....I know of several people with the last name English....wouldn't that be the equivalent of the examples you are providing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad