World Cup: National Team threads #2

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Spain made the U19 Euros semifinal even without Yamal (resting) and Cubarsi (Olympics). They're even with Italy's U19 (who is slightly better on paper) 30 minutes in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spain made the U19 Euros semifinal even without Yamal (resting) and Cubarsi (Olympics). They're even with Italy's U19 (who is slightly better on paper) 30 minutes in.
Spain winning in OT.
France, who won Spain's group without many of their marquee players (Tel, etc...) will have to beat Ukraine tonight to face Spain again in the final.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn't watch the match but looks like the US got whooped by France? Three zero with goals by Olise and Lacazette.

If it means anything the USA actually had the higher xG, France's first two goals were shots from distance which I think the goalkeeper should have done better with, especially Lacazette's. USA had three good chances in the 2nd half but failed to covert any of them included an unmarked header from practically point blank range. France though took control once the 2nd goal went in and for some reason the US was pushing for a goal late in the match (GD is the first tiebreaker)

I don't think this is an overly promising generation of players for the US though. Tessman & Aaronson I guess are the legit prospects but I don't know if thats because of his 'name' but even his older brother has kind of hit a wall. McGuire is scoring a lot in MLS but seems like he is a Championship-level player at best

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Was only going to watch the final to see Camarda, but alas Italy didn't make it.

I guess Spain - France would be worth watching too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not spoiling it, just that personally I'd be less likely to watch Spain - Ukraine final.
Ukraine easily the better team so far.
France is missing tons of their star players : Tel, Doue, Restes, etc...

But still this team is impressive and dominated Spain in their group encounter. They lost the plot for 10 minutes and got scored one twice but managed a draw.

Bouabre scored a scream in that game and has a shot at tournement MVP. I'm still very much in love with his talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France totally dominating the second half and finally score through their captain Atangana (Reims).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Forgot to watch from the start, just started watching. Spain 1-0 up, Iker Bravo scored at 41 mins. France made a triple substitution around hour mark, Bouabre off amongst others.

2-0 now, Diao, although it could go down as an own goal as it took a deflection. Also looked like it could have been offside, but the goal stood.

It's all but over at 76 mins as France has a player sent off, he brought down a Spanish player who would have been through all alone against keeper.

Liked Iker Bravo in this match. No idea how he only managed to score 2 goals for Real Madrid Castilla last season. If Leverkusen has no plans for him, I hope he finds a team where he can be a starter.

During the trophy presentation, very different looking guys agewise for Spain. Their no. 12 Dani Diaz looked like he is about the same age than his shirt number, while some others could pass for being near mid-20s.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Only a rumor at the moment but there is some talk that next summers Gold Cup will be expanded to invite teams from other confederations to create something of a quasi Confederations Cup to improve the prep games for the three hosts. A report out of Africa says Egypt and Senegal were invited by CONCACAF with a further two more teams from UEFA, CONMEBOL and AFC getting an invite. Don’t know how realistic this is, I’m sure FIFA don’t want interference on their silly Club World Cup and theoretically the top UEFA teams will be involved in the Nations League which UEFA too has expanded to include a quarterfinals

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Oof, the tears.

If I’m Christian Pulisic or Weston McKennie or Gio Reyna, I’m on the phone with the US Soccer Federation asking for a friendly against Morocco that might not be so friendly. This is the kind of game that will be used as locker-room motivation for years to come.

As if they're the better team with senior sides. It's an incredible thing in North America. If you're not a massive European side, US/Canada fans automatically think they're competitive against you. Morocco's just a better side in all facets and at all levels. If the senior sides played, Morocco should still take care of business and rather easily on a good day.

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Oof, the tears.

If I’m Christian Pulisic or Weston McKennie or Gio Reyna, I’m on the phone with the US Soccer Federation asking for a friendly against Morocco that might not be so friendly. This is the kind of game that will be used as locker-room motivation for years to come.

As if they're the better team with senior sides. It's an incredible thing in North America. If you're not a massive European side, US/Canada fans automatically think they're competitive against you. Morocco's just a better side in all facets and at all levels. If the senior sides played, Morocco should still take care of business and rather easily on a good day.
to be fair, at least canada were relatively competitive against morocco two years ago!

but yea, the goofball shit from USMNT fans is truly bananas. i find the inclusion of Gio Reyna - a guy who couldn't buy a minute at a team that should've been relegated - so funny.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
to be fair, at least canada were relatively competitive against morocco two years ago!

but yea, the goofball shit from USMNT fans is truly bananas. i find the inclusion of Gio Reyna - a guy who couldn't buy a minute at a team that should've been relegated - so funny.

They were, I'm just being a troll over the whole 'Canada will pass the group because they'll get 3 against Morocco' media hype before the WC '22. It's nothing more from me than a fan being bitter at the constant underrating because we're not blueblooded.

The senior US side and U-23 has some quality but I think the game today just showed again the gulf that presents itself when you're dealing with a bunch of guys in the MLS and guys who are all in top European leagues. The United States weren't even close to doing anything on the pitch today.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He was pretty hyped here a few years ago.
They were, I'm just being a troll over the whole 'Canada will pass the group because they'll get 3 against Morocco' media hype before the WC '22. It's nothing more from me than a fan being bitter at the constant underrating because we're not blueblooded.

The senior US side and U-23 has some quality but I think the game today just showed again the gulf that presents itself when you're dealing with a bunch of guys in the MLS and guys who are all in top European leagues. The United States weren't even close to doing anything on the pitch today.
They’re media and fans are always hyping themselves up. That’s why when they fail it’s more hilarious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad