Confirmed with Link: Nathan Todd on unconditional waivers UPD cleared, contract terminated

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
ZVQrxg.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Thought he was a good top-line player for the Barracuda. Perhaps he thinks he can make more in Europe.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Isn't this a good thing? As a right shot RW he would be taking minutes away from Cardwell and Graf.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

For what? A replacement for Todd?

Isn't this a good thing? As a right shot RW he would be taking minutes away from Cardwell and Graf.

Todd mostly played LW for us. Not that that's really relevant. Losing our top AHL scorer is something I struggle to classify as a "good thing" regardless.

--

Curious what he does after this, I was a fan. The fact that he wanted out makes me wonder if he was miffed he got passed over for an NHL call-up despite his play for the Cuda. Would've been nice to get him an NHL game or two sometime last season.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Nathan Todd career AHL player that wasn't ever any good in that level. His best choice is to go over seas to start making some money before his career is over.

Reactions: JBeast

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

It's paywalled, but Todd is headed to Europe. Best of luck to him.

hopefully the Cuda get Carpenter and Bailey back. Gonna need some good AHL veterans down there.

I'd love either of them back. We won't really have any idea what the plan for the Cuda forwards are until we know what the Sharks' plans are, but the Cuda are going to need veterans, regardless.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
For what? A replacement for Todd?

Todd mostly played LW for us. Not that that's really relevant. Losing our top AHL scorer is something I struggle to classify as a "good thing" regardless.

--

Curious what he does after this, I was a fan. The fact that he wanted out makes me wonder if he was miffed he got passed over for an NHL call-up despite his play for the Cuda. Would've been nice to get him an NHL game or two sometime last season.
Ideally I'd like the Cuda's top 9 next season to consist of Carpenter, Bailey, Cardwell, Graf, Bystedt, Gushchin, Robins, Coe and Wiesblatt in some combination. It would have been nice to have Todd as insurance in case Gushchin or Wiesblatt isn't coming back but we can also just sign Bordeleau or a different AHL vet forward if that happens. Gives the prospects on the final year of their ELCs a chance to prove they're worth developing further. Carpenter and Bailey are preferable to Todd since they have utility to the Sharks as injury callups.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Ideally I'd like the Cuda's top 9 next season to consist of Carpenter, Bailey, Cardwell, Graf, Bystedt, Gushchin, Robins, Coe and Wiesblatt in some combination. It would have been nice to have Todd as insurance in case Gushchin or Wiesblatt isn't coming back but we can also just sign Bordeleau or a different AHL vet forward if that happens. Gives the prospects on the final year of their ELCs a chance to prove they're worth developing further. Carpenter and Bailey are preferable to Todd since they have utility to the Sharks as injury callups.

Oh for sure, if we get Carpenter and Bailey back, I'd be over the moon. I'd like another veteran in there, someone playing a role like Cassels last season. While I'm encouraged by some of Coe's play down the stretch I'm still wary of trusting him to be contributing at that level throughout the year. Robins is going to need a bounceback season too.

Todd did some great work for us this year and it really does break my heart that he didn't get a game with the Sharks. Guy worked hard to improve as a late bloomer and now it looks like the NHL is not going to happen for him.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Nathan Todd career AHL player that wasn't ever any good in that level. His best choice is to go over seas to start making some money before his career is over.
Him wanting out must imply he is going overseas. I can imagine NHL and AHL teams would not look positively on a guy terminating a contract just to get a different NHL or AHL deal.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
We have our own very version of that in zadina
Zadina was a guy walking away from millions to not be buried in the AHL. It is not the same as an AHL player trying to terminate his contract to then turn around and sign another NHL deal.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Two years in a row the Cuda have their top scorer leaving the club with another season to go on the contract...

But nothing to see here!

It's OK. I really do want Bailey back though. That guy is dedicated, humble, hard-working. He oozes the right mentlity and culture. Willing to layout into the air for a puck. Bailey & Barnum's Flying Circus.

1718227745713.png

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It's OK. I really do want Bailey back though. That guy is dedicated, humble, hard-working. He oozes the right mentlity and culture. Willing to layout into the air for a puck. Bailey & Barnum's Flying Circus.

View attachment 881973
Bailey and Carpenter would be excellent guys to bring back - either they play a valuable role for the Barracuda or wind up filling an NHL spot in a depth role while someone younger percolates.

I'd like to get a couple more vets and maybe a couple "distressed prospects" (guys in the vein of Robins, injuries or something have pushed them down the depth chart and their current team doesn't anticipate having a place for them).

Todd is apparently off to Russia.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

View attachment 881973

I unabashedly love Justin Bailey. He does everything so well except score at an NHL level and generate offense at an NHL level. I'd love if he plays his entire career with the Sharks/Cuda, always on two-way contracts, but ideally with an AHL salary that keeps him happy. (so give him NHL league min which I think is $775k, but give him a bump to $400k for AHL salary)

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Not that it's a for sure indicator of anything but Halttunen has a "Thank You London" post on his IG like he's moving on. And the HF London thread seems to believe that Halttunen's moving to the next level.

The thing that makes me think Halttunen isn't coming to the AHL is that his contract has a European assignment clause specifically for the 2024-25 season. I've been assuming he'll be playing in Finland next season.

• Wow

tib2d2

Jan 4, 2022
How common is it for North American born players in their 20s to leave the AHL for Russia to make MORE money? This is assuming they are a solid AHL player and could continue to be of value to north american teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad