Nathan MacKinnon vs. Nico Hischier

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
MacKinnon. Actual production is a better indicator than using a percentage of points. Also ignoring the playoffs and MC is a disservice to MacKinnon, he was absolutely ridiculous during that run. If Patrick and Hischier were in the 2013 draft, they probably go ahead of Monahan and probably Lindholm. I'd think MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones would be ranked above them.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
MacKinnon. Actual production is a better indicator than using a percentage of points. Also ignoring the playoffs and MC is a disservice to MacKinnon, he was absolutely ridiculous during that run. If Patrick and Hischier were in the 2013 draft, they probably go ahead of Monahan and probably Lindholm. I'd think MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Jones would be ranked above them.

The irony is, in the NHL, people's biggest argument for why MacKinnon isn't a disappointment is his percentage of his team's points. Without that line of thinking, you've basically gotta treat him like Yakupov...

6.4% shooting last season (all-time level bad). 30+ PROD... (sad). Turgeon goes number 1 and puts up a hall of fame career and gets treated like a bum. MacKinnon puts up 50 points in a season, and he is destined for greatness. I'd love to see the magic 8 ball that decides opinions for the majority.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The irony is, in the NHL, people's biggest argument for why MacKinnon isn't a disappointment is his percentage of his team's points. Without that line of thinking, you've basically gotta treat him like Yakupov...

6.4% shooting last season (all-time level bad). 30+ PROD... (sad). Turgeon goes number 1 and puts up a hall of fame career and gets treated like a bum. MacKinnon puts up 50 points in a season, and he is destined for greatness. I'd love to see the magic 8 ball that decides opinions for the majority.

If Turgeon even put half of the effort in compared to his talent, his legacy would be much different. Turgeon earned that criticism just like Ovy has.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
If Turgeon even put half of the effort in compared to his talent, his legacy would be much different. Turgeon earned that criticism just like Ovy has.

If Turgeon lived up to others arbitrary standards, needed of only him, to get into the hall of fame, then he would be at 2 points per game in his career.

Then again, since he finished at over a point per game in his career while basically giving "half effort," he should have had 2 points per game (best ever). Yes, he should have the best numbers of all-time... But... since he only has better numbers than a lot that are in the Hall, lets make sure we continue to award lesser players that gave it "100%"

Sure, I got an F on my test... but I tried really hard, so... that A+ you got, that you didn't even try for... is irrelevant due to lack of heart.

It's a miracle that any number 1 pick, today, can ever continue to improve their game, given they're treated as god -- no matter how they perform.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
That's the issue though. They weren't *only* applied to him; they were applied to him because it was visible and noticeable when he got out worked by far less skilled players.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
That's the issue though. They weren't *only* applied to him; they were applied to him because it was visible and noticeable when he got out worked by far less skilled players.

This whole premise is crazy to me. The guy comes off as one of the nicest and most humble players I've seen. Who is perfect? How do we know who wasn't using performance enhancing drugs?

Making mountains out of things that aren't even molehills. It's like being the most productive person at your job, yet you're never recognized for it, because... "you could have done more."

Maybe they should only pay McDavid 2 million a year and make him exempt from the hall of fame, because I don't like how he plays. I think he could try harder and fight more people.

I can't even take anyone seriously after this ongoing injustice and MacKinnon worship. Guy is literally a part of the worst team in the history of the league and has seasons that are nothing to write home about, yet... may as well reserve a spot for him in the hall.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
ask this question in 3-5 years

dumb thread is dumb

"Super MacKinnon" haven't been able to do anything for Colorado yet, why is that.

in his defense the avs have largely been as incompetent as the worst in the national for the last decade

anyway, i can't wait to bump this thread if nico is putting up 60-70 points within his first three seasons and colorado still sucks

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
god everyone hates the devils. :laugh:

i want to know how this even passes for an acceptable thread. he was literally drafted six days ago and the consensus seems to be "NOPE MACS BETTER AINEC."

riveting, challenging discourse about ice hockey, eh? like how the ****? :help:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

i want to know how this even passes for an acceptable thread. he was literally drafted six days ago and the consensus seems to be "NOPE MACS BETTER AINEC."

Read the OP buddy, it's about comparing their draft years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Everyone hates the Devils? Wut. I guess everybody has to try to feel important somehow.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Everyone hates the Devils? Wut. I guess everybody has to try to feel important somehow.

i am never serious (e.g. i ****post) on the main board.

that's one calling me out after i retracted my statement, let's keep count.

anyway, really interested in what actual mooseheads fans and people who follow the juniors closely have to say about this comparison. carry on.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
i am never serious (e.g. i ****post) on the main board.

that's one calling me out after i retracted my statement, let's keep count.

anyway, really interested in what actual mooseheads fans and people who follow the juniors closely have to say about this comparison. carry on.
Lol I'm on my phone so I didn't see that but I am a moose fan and I don't think it is as definitive as a lot of people say but still have to go with Mack. He just had the ability to single handedly take a game over and hell a playoff series too and had a wow factor while doing it.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Why are you telling me this? It's easy to see just by watching them that MacKinnon is a sure step above.

Because I thought I could have an intelligent dialog with you. I am an optimist for sure, but looks like that I am not a realist. Why do I even bother...

So, if the overall team one is playing for doesn't have great impact, I guess that McKinnon is a 50 points player, Duchene a 40 points one, and Landeskog a 30 points player. It all makes sense now. :sarcasm:
(not directed at you, just thinking out loud)

I bow out of this thread.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
63 points in the season immediately following his draft. That's almost unrivaled company. I think Kane was the last guy to do that before him. He's had some struggles since then but he's not even 22. I firmly believe he's going to be a Seguin/Tavares caliber center in this league based on what I've seen from him at this level.

When I see hischer, I see someone at least a tier below. I think he'll be a Couture/Nugent Hopkins level player when he reaches his ceiling. It's very doubtful he'll have he same impact as Mackinnon in this upcoming season.

Obviously I'm not s fortune teller, that's just my opinions based on prior observation.

Tavares increased point totals every year on an awful team while having insane pedigree from junior. Tyler Sequin only became one of the absolute best scorers in the world in his first four years. Reasonable comparable to mac, who hit 60 points once with Paul Stastny cantering him. Note: not playing his position

And Couture and rnh are a separate tier of players from each other, so you'll gain no credibility with that part unless you were trying to give a very broad, very open area to slot a prospect you haven't seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad