Nathan MacKinnon vs. Nico Hischier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Both were drafted for overall and both came from the Halifax Mooseheads. Nico finished his draft year with 38G, 48A, and 86 points, while Mackinnon ended with 32G, 43A, and 75 points. Who was a better prospect and why? I am aware Hischier really didn't have any other top prospects to play with, while Nathan got to play with Jonathan Drouin.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Mac and it's not close. You forgot to factor in games played. MacKinnon only played 44 games
MacKinnon was also at 1.92 PPG in the playoffs.

Hischier only got 7 points in 6 games.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
This is a flawed comparison either way. You're either comparing an 18 year old who hasn't played an NHL game yet to a guy whos already hit 60 points. Or you're comparing two players on squads built much differently.

I am saying in their draft years. Not now.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
In their draft years MacKinnon ainec. Tbh from what I've seen of mack/drouin/ehlers/hischier when they played for Hali I'd take all of those guys over Hischier. He only really wowed me one game (I saw 4 games of his last year so it's not a huge sample just fyi).

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I am saying in their draft years. Not now.

And I still don't think that's a fair argument. Hischier's only had 1 season with them. Mac had 2 and a better squad. If I'm not mistaken, Halifax was supposed to be a bad squad this year and Hischier was the reason they weren't. Could be wrong on that, only read it in passing going through draft articles.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Mackinnon was the best player on what might be the best junior team of all time. Him AINEC

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Mac and it's not close. You forgot to factor in games played. MacKinnon only played 44 games
MacKinnon was also at 1.92 PPG in the playoffs.

Hischier only got 7 points in 6 games.

Halifax Mooseheads 2016-17 (with Hischier): 27-35-3-3, a .441% percentage.
Halifax Mooseheads 2012-13 (with McKinnon): 58-6-3-1, a .882% percentage.

Those percentages, translated to an NHL style 82 games season would translate into a team getting 72 points vs a team getting 144 points.

McKinnon's Mooseheads scored 347 goals that season (goal differential... +171). Nico's Mooseheads? 229 (goal differential -30)...

Did you know that Nico had a +/- of +20 (lead the whole team, lead all rookie forwards), while the best forward after him had a... 0? It's not even funny how Nico had to literally drag his team all by himself.

2. That was McKinnon 2nd year in the Q + he played all his life on NA ice. This was Hischier first season in the Q and first in North America.

3. Hischier got a wrist injury that limited him on the latter part of the season. I don't know if McKinnon was playing hurt too. If anyone knows, please do tell.

So, in this comparison, are you that sure that the playing field was even remotely close to level, to express such a judgement? What Nico achieved for that team is pretty much a miracle. Nico's season was much more difficult to achieve than McKinnon, given the conditions.

Last edited:

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
MacKinnon was just a much better player. Hischier might surpass him still though...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Halifax Mooseheads 2016-17 (with Hischier): 27-35-3-3, a .441% percentage.
Halifax Mooseheads 2012-13 (with McKinnon): 58-6-3-1, a .882% percentage.

Those percentages, translated to an NHL style 82 games season would translate into a team getting 72 points vs a team getting 144 points.

McKinnon's Mooseheads scored 347 goals that season (goal differential... +171). Nico's Mooseheads? 229 (goal differential -30)...

Did you know that Nico had a +/- of +20 (lead the whole team, lead all rookie forwards), while the best forward after him had a... 0? It's not even funny how Nico had to literally drag his team all by himself.

2. That was McKinnon 2nd year in the Q + he played all his life on NA ice. This was Hischier first season in the Q and first in North America.

3. Hischier got a wrist injury that limited him on the latter part of the season. I don't know if McKinnon was playing hurt too. If anyone knows, please do tell.

So, in this comparison, are you that sure that the playing field was even remotely close to level, to express such a judgement? What Nico achieved for that team is pretty much a miracle. Nico's season was much more difficult to achieve than McKinnon, given the conditions.

Why are you telling me this? It's easy to see just by watching them that MacKinnon is a sure step above.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
MacKinnon had better competition in the draft as well, where Hischier shot up through the ranks in a weaker draft.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Except there is literally nothing that backs up that claim to date.

63 points in the season immediately following his draft. That's almost unrivaled company. I think Kane was the last guy to do that before him. He's had some struggles since then but he's not even 22. I firmly believe he's going to be a Seguin/Tavares caliber center in this league based on what I've seen from him at this level.

When I see hischer, I see someone at least a tier below. I think he'll be a Couture/Nugent Hopkins level player when he reaches his ceiling. It's very doubtful he'll have he same impact as Mackinnon in this upcoming season.

Obviously I'm not s fortune teller, that's just my opinions based on prior observation.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I forget who said it and I can't find the source on the interconnected web of computers but a member of the Halifax Mooseheads said that he believes Hischier was the best Moosehead. He mentioned that Mac, Drouin and Ehlers all played on great teams and had talented line mates whereas Nico had to do it all on his own while in his first year in the league.

I'd still say MacKinnon was the better prospect and had the better draft year. I also think he will end up the better NHLer but interesting that a member of the Mooseheads made that comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad