Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
This has been a very interesting off season for the Preds. I will say that.
Basically the whole Trotz tenure has been pretty eventful. All the trades at the previous deadline, last summer's buyouts, etc... it has been quite the whirlwind. I guess when a franchise makes its first... ever!... GM change, that sort of thing might be expected to some extent. But it's still fun to watch. Hopefully it will all actually work out.
:popcorn:

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Eck is the only one that hurts. Schenn and both firsts for Eckholm at the dead line in a fantasy world lol.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
After moving Glass, we're still probably not quite able to ice a 23-man roster. Pending the resolution of the Johansen case anyway. Even if we got Parssinen and Tomasino at just $775k we'd be a hair over the Cap fwiw. So I reckon it will still be a battle in training camp between Stastney and Del Gaizo, there probably isn't room for both of them. Yet. With Stastney's waiver exemption perhaps not weighing in his favor (although I can't see Del Gaizo being claimed on waivers anyway).

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Stamkos ($8M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marchessault ($5.5M)
Evangelista ($0.7975M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.800M)
Jankowski ($0.800M) - McCarron ($0.900M) - Smith ($1M)
Tomasino (RFA - $0.800M)

Skjei ($7M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier ($3.75M)
Stastney ($0.825M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Wedgewood ($1.5M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M (???)
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $88.1041M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $-0.1041M

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
No one's going to claim Del Gaizo. They will keep the better of the two, which I believe will end up being Statsney.
I admit I haven't seen much of Del Gaizo, but this makes sense to me. He seems like the kind of slightly undersized, moderately skilled, good AHL defenseman who can fill in when needed, but based on his stats and pedigree, doesn't really project as NH regular. A guy who can play well in limited minutes but you don't want to ask too much of. Seems like a Calle Rosen type. Does this track with what y'all have seen?

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I admit I haven't seen much of Del Gaizo, but this makes sense to me. He seems like the kind of slightly undersized, moderately skilled, good AHL defenseman who can fill in when needed, but based on his stats and pedigree, doesn't really project as NH regular. A guy who can play well in limited minutes but you don't want to ask to much of. Seems like a Calle Rosen type. Does this track with what y'all have seen?
I think he is good enough to be an every day 3rd pairing guy, but that is probably about his limit. I don't think he is really a guy you need to shelter, there just isn't enough there that you would want to play him more than that.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think he is good enough to be an every day 3rd pairing guy, but that is probably about his limit. I don't think he is really a guy you need to shelter, there just isn't enough there that you would want to play him more than that.
That makes sense. Those type of guys tend to clear prior to opening night, because nearly every team has a guy they think can be at least that. As season goes along and many realize that they don't, chances of getting claimed may increase, but realistically almost everyone (without 1st round pedigree) clears.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Much of the same thoughts. He may have 2nd pairing upside depending on his partner but probably never gets as good as Carrier. In the grand scheme of things, i think more of Stastney than him but i think both could be NHL players. Both are likely pushed out by Skjei, Lauzon, and Molendyk at the end of the day but maybe one manages to hold on long enough to stay 3rd pairing once Lauzon's contract expires.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Much of the same thoughts. He may have 2nd pairing upside depending on his partner but probably never gets as good as Carrier. In the grand scheme of things, i think more of Stastney than him but i think both could be NHL players. Both are likely pushed out by Skjei, Lauzon, and Molendyk at the end of the day but maybe one manages to hold on long enough to stay 3rd pairing once Lauzon's contract expires.
Well Stastney I see a little differently. That guy has something to his game that I could see him being a 2nd pairing guy long term. He's pretty calm on the ice and seems to make the correct play with the puck, and he can skate. Now, he may end up being pushed out due to other talent but I think if that is the case someone will pick him and be very happy they did.

He has way better upside than Lauzon imo.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well Stastney I see a little differently. That guy has something to his game that I could see him being a 2nd pairing guy long term. He's pretty calm on the ice and seems to make the correct play with the puck, and he can skate. Now, he may end up being pushed out due to other talent but I think if that is the case someone will pick him and be very happy they did.

He has way better upside than Lauzon imo.
Luckily... Lauzon only has 2 more seasons under contract

Unfortunately, i think they really like his playstyle and with our upcoming crop of players we really do need some physicality. Most of the young crop are on the smaller side and rely on mobility to defend. We do have some bigger dmen as well but not sure how close any of them are to NHL time.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Is there an easy way to watch entire games from last season?

CenterIce used to offer that, but now that I have ESPN+ it doesn't look like they are still available beyond some of the later playoff rounds. I was hoping to see some games to get deeper sense of guys on the bottom half of the Preds roster. I watched highlights but they were basically just Josi, Forsberg, or Saros, all of which I already knew were studs.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Is there an easy way to watch entire games from last season?

CenterIce used to offer that, but now that I have ESPN+ it doesn't look like they are still available beyond some of the later playoff rounds. I was hoping to see some games to get deeper sense of guys on the bottom half of the Preds roster. I watched highlights but they were basically just Josi, Forsberg, or Saros, all of which I already knew were studs.
Probably not. Bally sure isn't offering anything extra and they have the local rights.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think one of del gaizo or Stastney gets sent down. Stastney if they really think Del Gaizo gets picked up or Del Gaizo if they think he will pass through like Carrier did a couple years ago.
Skjei Josi
Lauzon Fabbro
Stastney Carrier
Schenn
Del gaizo

For sure Gaizo gets sent down which is a bummer because he takes away valuable top pairing mins in Milwaukee from guys like Wilsby, Ufko and Matier. I personally think DG is a tweener and not really even worth keeping around. We have lots of D but that’s just me.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I can't help but shake this bad feeling I've had in my head since we unloaded Askarov about so many things.

• While I get the excitement of the FA signings, has any team ever won the Cup with their core players in their mid-30s? That's a lot to ask from 6 guys. I looked at the Caps roster the year they won - Backstrom was 30, Ovie was 32, Oshie I think was 31 and Orpik was 37. Backstrom and Ovie were still elite players and Trotz got the most out of Kuznetsov, especially during the playoffs. I can't think of any team in recent memory that had a core with the average age that it is that was a serious contender or won it all.
  • Did we have to sign Saros when we did? Couldn't we wait until the season to see how things were shaking out? I get not wanting the distraction, at the same time, you're hitching the next 9 years to a goalie who's 29, who's never won a playoff series and didn't look all that great a good portion of the season in Brunette's system.
  • Should we have moved on from Saros when we unloaded most of the vets during Poile's last season? While the return from Askarov is mixed, would we have gotten more for Saros, who would've given a team 3 years of playoffs and 2 full seasons at a cost-controlled contract? I can't imagine we wouldn't have gotten more than what we got for Askarov and at the same time, I think what Poile/Trotz thought he was worth was unrealistic, which made them not pull the trigger. It would've also gotten us players and/or picks who were further along in their development.
Maybe I'd get more excited if I felt some of the kid forwards had a legitimate shot at making the roster while making an impact. I like our top 8 forwards. Fil is the best of the bunch. I don't think any of them outside of Fil is elite. This causes me a lot of trepidation about who's filling slots 9-12 because the way I see it now, I don't know how you go on a deep run with the guys who are currently penciled into slots 10-12. Maybe I'll be surprised by the staff and some players who come to camp hungry and earn their spots on the roster.

While I was truly excited on July 1, the more I've thought about this, the more nervous I've become. I wish it weren't the case. I may need to step away for a couple of weeks and let camp play out the way it's going to and see where we're at then.

Reactions: hockey diva

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Elite Prospects (who I find to be the most accurate pundits in the prospect game) have us with the 18th best prospect pool

here are their rankings:

1. Matt Wood
2. Teddy Stiga
3. Zach L’Hereux
4.Kemell
5. Molendyk
6. Svechkov
7.Edstrom
8. Lind
9. Marques
10. Surin
11. Nilssson
12 Ufko
13. ingram
14. gibson
15 willis
16 fink
17 hanzel
18 Reid Schafer (fake prospect)

quotes:

The Nashville Predators find themselves in a unique position: They're built to win now, but also have a very deep prospect pool. To make it even more interesting, not many organizations have as many prospects thriving in key roles in the AHL.

If this exercise focused more on depth than high-end prospects, they'd challenge for a top-10 spot. The organization is loaded with prospects on the cusp of a major breakout thanks to a drafting strategy emphasizing intelligence and physical skills.

So, despite the Predators pool lacking some high-end talent due to the recent trade of Yaroslav Askarov and the graduation of Luke Evangelista, they've taken so many swings that at least one or two of these prospects should turn into high-end prospects this season.

When it comes to special elements, Joakim Kemell has one: His shot. His one-timer is ridiculous, and he has the off-puck movement to always be a threat. It's not hard to envision him as a big-time power play scorer in the NHL. To get there, he'll have to keep adding more elements to his game, building off his work from this season.

Kemell has developed more defence, physicality, transition skill, and playmaking. He's not a dynamic puck carrier or playmaker, but he's able to work give-and-goes, set up the occasional chance, and start passing plays that eventually work back to him. The physicality has also picked up as he finishes checks and battles in open ice. Getting better along the walls and more deceptive rush routes to create space for his release will be key.

There's a chance Kemell just doesn't impact enough areas of the game to become an NHL goal-scorer, but he's steadily improving. He could still become a middle-six scorer, and he's not too far off from the NHL.

It's easy to imagine Tanner Molendyk in the NHL. In some ways, he's an NHL player already. Look no further than his rush defence. He's not just an explosive mover, but an intelligent player with how he takes the middle to force opponents to the outside, times his pokes, and runs over stubborn opponents. In the rare instant he gets beat, he has the acceleration to easily recover. His in-zone defence continues to improve and now projects as a strength, too.

Mobility also powers Molendyk's offence. He doubled his scoring rate this season, activating into the play as much as possible to fire off chances and occasionally set one up. In transition, he creates through pace – quick up-and-outs, long-range passes, and sprints up the middle. Cleaning up the breakouts is a must. He hammers pucks into traffic, gently tosses them into battles, and misses a ton of options. He plays too fast and reckless – some of it likely due to his huge minutes, but his reads must improve to limit options.

Still, Molendyk is an exciting prospect because of his special qualities: Skating and rush defence. He's on an NHL path, likely in a bottom-pair role with a chance to hit higher if the puck game keeps getting better.

After struggling to crack the KHL, it was no guarantee that Fyodor Svechkov's first AHL season would go so smoothly. But he just kept playing his game and got better and better as the season wore on.

Intelligence, pace, and physical skills power Svechkov's game. Down low, he draws pressure before cutting back and constantly leans back into the defender, creating space for the escape. After passing, he's quick to get off the wall and to the net for chances. In transition, he combines high-pace plays with manipulation skills, using the threat of attacking wide to create a lane to the middle of the rink. Though he's neither an especially great playmaker nor a goal-scorer, he's a very strong time and space creator for his linemates.

In the NHL, Svechkov could fill many roles. He could become a bottom-six checker who posts positive results through transition and down-low prowess. He could play a supportive middle-six role with two higher scorers. Or, he could further develop his playmaking and become more of a driver. No matter the pathway, he looks like an NHL player. Competition will be stiff in this organization, however.

David Edstrom is one of those players where points will never do his impact justice. With him, it's in the details – and how he doesn't even need to touch the puck to create a goal.

With a 6-foot-3 frame and puck-protection skills, Edstrom already controls the game down low in the SHL. He wins battles, quickly works pucks back inside, or takes them to the net. In the slot, he's a constant presence. He's always screening the goalie, while somehow still finding ways to pop free for deflections and rebounds. Though he's not much of a puck carrier, he makes quick, short passes through pressure, hits give-and-goes, and occasionally creates chaos with a powerful long-range shot.

Considering all of those elements, Edstrom is one of the best bets to become an impactful NHLer in this organization. Maybe he never produces like those above him, but he could become a stifling third-line centre.

The Predators have no shortage of agitating, physical forwards. Yegor Surin's unique element is how aggressively he attacks the middle. With feet that never stop moving and even quicker hands, he fearlessly drives the middle of the rink, dragging defenders with him when possible. That skill powers his offensive game, but it's far from his only NHL element.

Surin is a uniquely capable forechecker and defensive player for the MHL. He applies intense pressure with and without the puck, whether he's pressing for seams or charging at opponents to induce panic. A lot of his offence directly comes from his ability to force turnovers and then immediately gain the middle.

The primary concern with Surin is one of offensive translatability, with his emphasis on overwhelming with pace and running everything through his hands potentially limiting his success at higher levels. Still, his all-around game and agitating style could earn him a middle-six role.

It's tough to imagine a better first collegiate season for Aiden Fink. He quickly became Penn State's top offensive player while maintaining a high defensive impact. His pace is a huge advantage. He's able to access lanes before defenders react, even if he doesn't have a pure skating speed advantage. He's always ready to move the puck for the next play, whether that's a shot, pass, or cut inside. Shooting and passing are both above-average projections with adaptability and diversity in both facets. He's so focused on outpacing opponents that he misses opportunities to manipulate defenders, cut back, or set up chances, and he'll have to become even more proactive about establishing body position and engaging opponents as he enters the boards. He has middle-six potential but expect a lengthy development curve.

Catch Matthew Wood on the right night, and you'll come away thinking he's one of the sport's elite prospects. He has that type of dynamic skill. His one-timer is lethal, supported by give-and-goes where he intentionally pops wide to maximize the distance the goalie has to travel to stop the shot. He's a creative, deceptive handler who constantly baits pokes before pulling the puck around and cutting inside. There's also a power-playmaking side to Wood's game. After beating one defender, he cuts straight to the net. He spots teammates across the slot and connects by pulling pucks into his feet to pass under defenders' sticks.

That version of Wood looks like a soon-to-be top-six scorer in the NHL, but he fades into the background too many nights. Those nights, he tries to handle through every defenceman he sees, failing more often than not. He gets locked to the outside and settles for perimeter shots, or doesn't create any space before shooting right into the defender's stick. Sluggish skating only amplifies the poor decisions, as he's constantly chasing the puck.

Given how little help Wood had at UConn, along with how outrageously high the highs were, it'd be unwise to knock him too hard for the lows. Still, he needs a big season, one where he shows more agility, quickness, and improved play selection. Now at Minnesota, where the cross-slot pass is the play, expect Wood's one-timer and playmaking to factor into more games.
One of the big risers in the 2024 NHL Draft cycle, Teddy Stigafilled the net early and finished the season as a dynamic attacker.

Stiga's too smart and too relentless to get stifled by the opposition. Always one step ahead of the opposition with his movements, he's always ready for a one-time chance or a quick pass back across the slot for a tap-in. He doesn't need a ton of touches to make his impact as he emphasizes inside play and high-value looks over distance shooting.

Like so many prospects in this organization, Stiga is also an intense battler. He's a menace on the forecheck, combining subtle physicality, direct routes, and anticipation to force steals and create instant offence. In spurts, he played a bit of a pest game, too.

There are many directions Stiga's game could go, but we believe all of them lead to the NHL. He projects as a versatile top-nine forward.
Like so many prospects in this organization, Zachary L'Heureuxachieved immediate success in the AHL. This was also the healthiest season he's had in years, and now he looks poised to play NHL games this season.

With a rare combination of physicality and playmaking, comparables are few and far between for L'Heureux. He takes breaks from beating down opponents to pop out into space for one-time chances or rush off the boards to the net. In pursuit, he swipes, slashes, and hammers opponents until he gets possession. Then, he goes right back on the attack, looking to power past opponents and then rip a puck into the slot. In spurts, he even manipulates defenders to create lanes out of nothing.

Discipline remains a concern. It's not just the penalty trouble but his play selection. Skating also remains a concern, albeit less so after his strong AHL campaign. L'Heureux could fill many roles, with a versatile top-nine role seeming like the most probable one.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I can't help but shake this bad feeling I've had in my head since we unloaded Askarov about so many things.

• While I get the excitement of the FA signings, has any team ever won the Cup with their core players in their mid-30s? That's a lot to ask from 6 guys. I looked at the Caps roster the year they won - Backstrom was 30, Ovie was 32, Oshie I think was 31 and Orpik was 37. Backstrom and Ovie were still elite players and Trotz got the most out of Kuznetsov, especially during the playoffs. I can't think of any team in recent memory that had a core with the average age that it is that was a serious contender or won it all.
  • Did we have to sign Saros when we did? Couldn't we wait until the season to see how things were shaking out? I get not wanting the distraction, at the same time, you're hitching the next 9 years to a goalie who's 29, who's never won a playoff series and didn't look all that great a good portion of the season in Brunette's system.
  • Should we have moved on from Saros when we unloaded most of the vets during Poile's last season? While the return from Askarov is mixed, would we have gotten more for Saros, who would've given a team 3 years of playoffs and 2 full seasons at a cost-controlled contract? I can't imagine we wouldn't have gotten more than what we got for Askarov and at the same time, I think what Poile/Trotz thought he was worth was unrealistic, which made them not pull the trigger. It would've also gotten us players and/or picks who were further along in their development.
Maybe I'd get more excited if I felt some of the kid forwards had a legitimate shot at making the roster while making an impact. I like our top 8 forwards. Fil is the best of the bunch. I don't think any of them outside of Fil is elite. This causes me a lot of trepidation about who's filling slots 9-12 because the way I see it now, I don't know how you go on a deep run with the guys who are currently penciled into slots 10-12. Maybe I'll be surprised by the staff and some players who come to camp hungry and earn their spots on the roster.

While I was truly excited on July 1, the more I've thought about this, the more nervous I've become. I wish it weren't the case. I may need to step away for a couple of weeks and let camp play out the way it's going to and see where we're at then.
1. Probably won't, but Trotz had two choices, take a shot while he still had years with Forsberg and Josi, or sit in the middle of the pack as a bubble team because those guys would have kept us just good enough not to really bottom out.

2. No we didn't, but if you don't you may not have gotten the UFA's you did to take the shot Trotz is trying too. The minute Trotz made the decision to go all in he didn't have much choice imo.

3. Yes and no. We have no idea what he was seeing offer wise for Saros, but based on what some other guys got traded for it appears it probably wouldn't have even been what we got out of Askarov.

Basically Trotz kicked the can down the road 3 years or so, which isn't a bad thing. It lets him work in a few of the young guys, move them or keep them while the bulk should be ready to go just about the time these guys are done. I mean worse comes to worse they all get hurt and we get a top 5 draft spot, odds are though we probably just end up where we would have been anyways, squarely in the middle.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Elite Prospects (who I find to be the most accurate pundits in the prospect game) have us with the 18th best prospect pool

here are their rankings:

1. Matt Wood
2. Teddy Stiga
3. Zach L’Hereux
4.Kemell
5. Molendyk
6. Svechkov
7.Edstrom
8. Lind
9. Marques
10. Surin
11. Nilssson
12 Ufko
13. ingram
14. gibson
15 willis
16 fink
17 hanzel
18 Reid Schafer (fake prospect)

quotes:
This is a pretty decent write up though i think they underestimate a few players. Ultimately, we have a large collection of nice middle 6 and bottom 4 players but not really anyone that you can confidently point to and say they are going to be a top line /top pair player which i feel is a pretty fair assessment. We will see how things look next year. I think a few players are primed to take that next step and get into that category but it is ultimately up to them to take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad