Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Return would really depend on if Nashville is taking cap back or sending Fabbro’s full cap hit without taking anything back. More than likely the Oilers would be sending Ceci out in a separate deal to create the space for Fabbro.

The issue is I see is that Nashville probably wants to send someone out to clear cap before the season starts and Oilers would probably be looking more at an in season deal. My feeling is they really liked what they saw of Broberg playing in that #4 slot on the right side in the playoffs but they need a larger sample size and they want to hang onto Ceci just in case Broberg isn’t ready to fill that role early season and also to let the trade market develop to see if a definitive upgrade on Ceci comes available because most of what’s available right now, such as a guy like Fabbro isn’t a clear cut upgrade, it’s more gambling on the fact that he might fit better with Nyrse then Ceci does.

Fabbro is a pending UFA if I’m not mistaken so he’s basically a rental and if the Oilers were acquiring his full cap hit without sending any cap back I’d guess they’d probably be comfortable with a package of mid picks or mid pick and prospect.
I think a mid pick is realistic at this point. Keep it simple. No salary involved, just send him for a 3rd.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Still have time but given that most teams have largely finalized their rosters already if we can get positive value out of either Fabbro or Glass I'd happily make that deal. Both guys still have some upside but I don't really see either of them having regular roster spots this season or a long term future here. I'd prefer to move Glass but I also think its way less likely we can get any sort of return for him.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I’m not sure what trotz is waiting on to make some kind of trade to clear cap. The longer he waits the harder it’s gonna be to shed the cap we need. Kinda strange. He was super active the beginning of free agency now absolutely nothing minus Statsney’s arbitration

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think a mid pick is realistic at this point. Keep it simple. No salary involved, just send him for a 3rd.
Hear, hear.

We'll be getting rid of someone to clear cap. It wouldn't make a lick of sense to waste the last retention spot and keep any part of a contract counting against the cap, when we're trying to do the polar opposite.

Getting something back and something that counts $0 against the cap, such as any draft pick at all, is clearly a better option.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’m not sure what trotz is waiting on to make some kind of trade to clear cap. The longer he waits the harder it’s gonna be to shed the cap we need. Kinda strange. He was super active the beginning of free agency now absolutely nothing minus Statsney’s arbitration
Somewhere I posted a roster whereby he could get through the Cap Compliance date with a short roster and Glass in the minors, right?

As long as he is within that "wiggle room" of being compliant, there actually isn't any rush. In fact, he doesn't even have Parssinen and Tomasino signed at all yet. Injuries could arise in training camp. Or who knows, maybe Glass shows up in camp ready to make some noise and increases his market value from zero/negative to at least something - or at least to zero whereby he could actually get claimed on waivers.

So to me, assuming there are no non-negative offers even out there atm, there really is no rush at all. It may not actually get any harder later on, one of our many older folks might pull a groin in training camp, go on IR, and punt the question even further down the road.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I was sitting on the glass in the corner just behind Forsberg on this goal. My claim to obscure predators fame.

WOW! The Preds had Peter Forsberg, Paul Kariya, Jason Arnott, JP Dumont, Erat, Hartnell, Leggy, Rad, Sully as forwards and Weber, Suter, Klein, Timonen, Zidlicky and Hamhuis as Dmen. Vokoun in Goal. Then Leipold basically crapped on the team and city to sell them to Canada!

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
WOW! The Preds had Peter Forsberg, Paul Kariya, Jason Arnott, JP Dumont, Erat, Hartnell, Leggy, Rad, Sully as forwards and Weber, Suter, Klein, Timonen, Zidlicky and Hamhuis as Dmen. Vokoun in Goal. Then Leipold basically crapped on the team and city to sell them to Canada!
That was the year Vokoun got blood clots and had to go on blood thinners right before the playoffs, leading to Chris Mason in net and a first-round exit against the Sharks, right? Such a kick in the teeth after an incredible season. I bought a Peter Forsberg jersey, actually - in his prime he was my favorite player and I never thought I'd get a chance to see him play for Nashville. Even the version of him with half a foot.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg only played 11 regular season and 7 playoff games over 2 seasons after his time in Nashville. His career was pretty much over. Still worth it seeing him in a Predators jersey though

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah if we had an owner with deeper pockets it would have been interesting to see where our franchise went after those seasons.

I don't think you will ever see owners like that again allowed into the league. The buy in is simply too high now. They may not want to spend it, but I don't think it will be an issue of having it.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Trading Glass could even turn out to be a addition-by-subtraction type of scenario. It might even open up a spot for Pärssinen in the lineup who I think is a much stronger player than Glass.

Reactions: SouthNash

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trading Glass could even turn out to be a addition-by-subtraction type of scenario. It might even open up a spot for Pärssinen in the lineup who I think is a much stronger player than Glass.
Glass - honestly i think if he could stay healthy, he could turn into a pretty decent middle 6 player. Unfortunately, i dont think he can stay healthy and that has messed significantly with his confidence.

Ryan Ellis trade tree is all sorts of odd.

Ellis for Myers and Patrick

Patrick for Glass
Glass for ???

Myers and Mismash for McD
McD and a 4th for a 7th (Pahlsson) and a 2025 2nd

I guess so far we have gotten the better deal all around

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Glass - honestly i think if he could stay healthy, he could turn into a pretty decent middle 6 player. Unfortunately, i dont think he can stay healthy and that has messed significantly with his confidence.

Ryan Ellis trade tree is all sorts of odd.

Ellis for Myers and Patrick

Patrick for Glass
Glass for ???

Myers and Mismash for McD
McD and a 4th for a 7th (Pahlsson) and a 2025 2nd

I guess so far we have gotten the better deal all around
I guess looking at this way if we have to use that 2nd we got from sending back McD as a sweetener to move Glass than we're still coming out neutral.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was sitting on the glass in the corner just behind Forsberg on this goal. My claim to obscure predators fame.

That's a pretty sweet memory! I don't remember WHERE I was sitting (probably 104 at that time frame but I'd often sit with friends) but I do remember being there.

We can always put someone on LTIR, right? I mean...that's how the Lightning, the Devils and the Knights deal with such unpleasantries as "cap", right?

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
That's a pretty sweet memory! I don't remember WHERE I was sitting (probably 104 at that time frame but I'd often sit with friends) but I do remember being there.

We can always put someone on LTIR, right? I mean...that's how the Lightning, the Devils and the Knights deal with such unpleasantries as "cap", right?
Still hard to believe we had 2 HOF'ers in Kariya Forsberg on that same team for short time. I am sure you will be able to add Weber to that list as well.

Reactions: Adz

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I am disappointed in myself. I thought I could find 5 ways the Preds can manipulate the cap; I only found 4. I know, I know, I suck, it's all my fault. Here is what I see so far; a 20 man roster.
1723416931322.png
Which is fine, CBA rules state the minimum roster must be 18 skaters and 2 goalies. 23 is the MAXIMUM you can have. A game roster is the minimum; 18 skaters, 2 goalies. Now, lets talk about using the LTIR and roster manipulation. Let's say Saros were to come to coach's office and goes:

"*cough* I think I got the Vegas Flu. *cough* I need 6 weeks off... in Cancun."

Right at the beginning of pre-season. LTIR states you must miss 24 days and 10 games. That's the first month of the season. Imagine, October, you have a goalie pairing of Askarov and Wedgewood. 10 games. You get Askarov time to start vs. NHL teams. You rest Saros. Also, the Pre-season LTIR would cover the need for a couple $100K. Also a nice chunk of change for the regular season. Development wise, It would give Askarov NHL time and help shop him around the NHL. Win/Win. This would prevent the Preds from having to deal Fabbro or Glass. There would be finacial room for them *IF* a player, with a high cap is willing to play ball.

There is the second way of trading a player. Problem is EVERY NHL team knows Nashville's cap and will do anything to screw them. This might lead to a Fabbro or a Glass on waivers. Plus, Nashville wants cap negativity. More picks or prospects? Philly is looking interesting with 3 1sts and 3 2nds

They could gamble on players getting hurt in camp...Problem is you don't know who gets hurt and for how long.

There is also thew mechanic of waiving Wedgewood. The difference capwise between Askarov and Wedgewood is a good chunk of change. Yes, there is a risk of someone claiming Wedgewood but Askarov is the insurance. (BTW, Matt Murray is not dog water either, The Matt M. on the Preds, not the other one, who might be a dog's breakfast.)

Now for my minor concerns; there is a LOT of RHD in Milwaukee; Livingstone, Prokop, Ufko, Matier, Blankenburg, not to mention AHL contracts. And please note, Gibson will be of age to go to Milwaukee after this CHL season, same with Molendyk. I know Nashville has to provide players to Atlanta but a whole RHD side?

I wonder if the trade is to make camp room on the roster, not just cap space? I see one spot on the 3rd line and one on the 4th IF Glass is moved. One RHD IF Fabbro is moved for the 8 bajillion RHD.

I say Philly because their young goalie of the future is going to Canada's version of Club Fed. Would they be interested in a package of Askarov, Fabbro, and Glass?

Also, Isn't nice to have 7 top 6 fowards?

Reactions: GoldOnGold

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
FWIW if Wedgewood wasn’t claimed on waivers he has a 1-way contract so the buried Cap hit plus Askarov’s salary means you don’t save any Cap there.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

With the talent of the drafts around this time, it’s a f***ing miracle for predators were worth a damn

FWIW if Wedgewood wasn’t claimed on waivers he has a 1-way contract so the buried Cap hit plus Askarov’s salary means you don’t save any Cap there.

Out of all that I wrote, that’s the only thing you can knit?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00