Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I'll say one thing about Egor, while he may have progressed every year, he never made the front office go, he needs to be on this team full-time. I'm tired of people blaming the front office for the failures of the players. It's on the players to make an impression and make his mark. Progress is nice, an imprint is even better. Also, the fact that he couldn't knock McC, Jank, Smith or Woody out of the lineup says all you need to know about him. Same could be said about Tomasino and Glass.
I would agree with you if the guys you are knocking aren't given a chance on the big team to show they can do that. How many people on this forum knock Smith constantly? He is a poor man's Craig Smith with less talent.
Smith in 23 had 69gms 4/13/17
McC in 23 had 32gms 2/2/4
Jank in 23 had 50gms 7/5/12
Woody in 23 had 32gms 7/6/13
Tomasino in 23 had 31gms 5/13/18 Outscored all of them.

In 24
Smith in 80gms had 9/14/23
McC in 70gms had 12/10/22
Jank in 32gms had 7/8/15
Woody in 68gms had 10/17/27
Tomasino in 41gms had 7/13/20 on pace for over 40pts.

Not sure how you could say PT was outplayed by those other players. Plus he is only 22yo and has room to grow! Although I do agree with you about Glass.

Reactions: maplepred

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think Glass has actually been afforded a bit more consistency in opportunity than any of the others. I'm not entirely sure why that is. He is a "big center", I guess, but also came from outside the organization so maybe he doesn't have that same taint of familiarity that seems to plague our own draft picks for some reason?

Anyway, having been afforded more opportunity, I'm more satisfied that Glass probably doesn't have "it".

Tomasino is more in the Tolvanen category to me, where I did see enough to believe they have NHL futures. Once we get rid of Tomasino - hopefully soon for his sake - then I suspect he'll be fine wherever he catches on. Nothing special, but a reasonable middle-lineup depth scorer. Of course, the player does need to come into their new situation without being too "down" from getting turfed by us. Tolvanen was fine. Tomasino will certainly need to come in all fired up in his new digs, because teams won't give him very much rope. But he has NHL ability at least.

Afanaseyev is a year of NHL duty away from me being able to put him in the same category. He's more of an unknown. It's entirely possible that he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL, ever. I think his season in the AHL last year showed sufficient progress that I'd have been very interested in finding out how he performed in the NHL. Enough so that I would have paid him the extra $500k or whatever he was looking for. After we've invested the 5 years and he reached that point, I'd have no qualms about paying for the next level final look. The worst case is that he can't make the Preds and he gets waived and that money is either picked up by another NHL outfit or he becomes one of the best players in Milwaukee at a pay rate that isn't different from what we have sometimes paid other veterans down there.

I'll be very interested in seeing how the Tomasino, Parssinen, Del Gaizo, and Stastney cases play out. Because we just can't continue this trend of undervaluing and liquidating our internally developed young players. Especially when it's guys like Fabbro, Tolvanen, and Tomasino who we invested 1st round picks in. Those are important organizational building blocks.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Two year deal is a given, its the details of the money that is the only thing to be determined.

He didn't really get a chance to beat those guys, not by this coaching staff anyways. He came for two games, which was when we played some of our worst hockey of the year and got blown out ( and then had their trip to Vegass Cancelled). He didn't do anything great, but he was the one semi bright spot cause he didn't get owned defensively at least like everyone else in those games.
Id say having only 1 EV GA over those two games was quite the accomplishment. Only Guiranov, Evangelista, and Trenin also had 1 EV GA and only Trenin also played in both those games.

When almost everyone else had 3 or more EV GA, only having 1 is pretty good.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I'll be very interested in seeing how the Tomasino, Parssinen, Del Gaizo, and Stastney cases play out. Because we just can't continue this trend of undervaluing and liquidating our internally developed young players. Especially when it's guys like Fabbro, Tolvanen, and Tomasino who we invested 1st round picks in. Those are important organizational building blocks.
I agree. I wonder if the Ads players see the big team bring in these other young players (Beauvillier, Fagemo, Foudy, JAD) that are not Vets and have very little NHL experience, are not that good and are playing before any Ads player being called up. Surely they talk about that among themselves and wonder why.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
That's a bit of a win for Stastney...

Good for him! I didn't think he had enough of a case on stats alone to get that much more than the Preds' filing. But $400k in the AHL and a 1-way in Year 2 would be very fair.

He should be in the NHL both years, just if the Preds end up with a numbers game with other guys who aren't waiver exempt like he is, or need to try to sneak under the Cap with a short roster, he could end up in Milwaukee again. At least he'll have $400k to help cushion any such injustice.
:handclap:

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Thats a real hefty reward for a 2-way. That AHL pay is a real nice pay bump. His AHL pay was 70,000... granted he also had 93,000 in signing bonuses. Still 400,000 for AHL pay is pretty significant. Dont think it should matter since he should be in the NHL and coming in at a 2 year 837,500 caphit works out well for the team and better than a 1 year 925,000 that he wanted.

Reactions: braindead

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So just 2 more RFAs to go. Given Stastney got a 2 way at 825K NHL 400K AHL, i assume both Pärssinen and Tomasino will be looking for more given they both have a more extensive NHL track record.

Reactions: maplepred

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So just 2 more RFAs to go. Given Stastney got a 2 way at 825K NHL 400K AHL, i assume both Pärssinen and Tomasino will be looking for more given they both have a more extensive NHL track record.
And Del Gaizo.

My offers would be pretty simple to all 3 of these guys.

Parssinen: 1yr, 1-way, $775k
Tomasino: 1yr, 1-way, $775k
Del Gaizo: 1yr, 2-way, $775k/$400k - or possibly a 2yr deal split like Stastney's

I don't think there is any point at all in trying to force a 2-way contract on Tomasino or Parssinen. They are both NHL players. Whether they fit our current coach's gameplan or not, who knows, but if we tried to waive them they'd be claimed, so it's not like there is any risk of getting stuck with those 1-way contracts on guys we wanted to assign to the minors. Now, the players themselves may argue they want a little more, since they have both played a significant number of NHL games now. But they have zero leverage, so I don't see much point in them arguing for $100k extra or anything. These should not be difficult contracts at all. I don't know why they haven't already happened... if management is insistent on making them 2-way or the players are insistent on more $$$/term, then somebody is just being nonsensical. Take your 1-year $775k show-me deals, have a great year, you'll have arbitration rights next year, there shouldn't be anything for either side to squabble about right now!

As for Del Gaizo... he can really only get a 2-way contract at this point. He's as good as anybody in Milwaukee, however. I think it's possible with the flood of training camp cuts around the league that he could clear waivers and still end up on the Ads if he doesn't make it for us. He could be in the Carrier situation from a few years back. Or he could stick with us. Giving him a deal like Stastney and Blankenburg got with the 2nd year 1-way could work - and could also help dissuade other teams from claiming him on waivers if it came to that? :dunno:

Reactions: weeze

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And Del Gaizo.

My offers would be pretty simple to all 3 of these guys.

Parssinen: 1yr, 1-way, $775k
Tomasino: 1yr, 1-way, $775k
Del Gaizo: 1yr, 2-way, $775k/$400k - or possibly a 2yr deal split like Stastney's

I don't think there is any point at all in trying to force a 2-way contract on Tomasino or Parssinen. They are both NHL players. Whether they fit our current coach's gameplan or not, who knows, but if we tried to waive them they'd be claimed, so it's not like there is any risk of getting stuck with those 1-way contracts on guys we wanted to assign to the minors. Now, the players themselves may argue they want a little more, since they have both played a significant number of NHL games now. But they have zero leverage, so I don't see much point in them arguing for $100k extra or anything. These should not be difficult contracts at all. I don't know why they haven't already happened... if management is insistent on making them 2-way or the players are insistent on more $$$/term, then somebody is just being nonsensical. Take your 1-year $775k show-me deals, have a great year, you'll have arbitration rights next year, there shouldn't be anything for either side to squabble about right now!

As for Del Gaizo... he can really only get a 2-way contract at this point. He's as good as anybody in Milwaukee, however. I think it's possible with the flood of training camp cuts around the league that he could clear waivers and still end up on the Ads if he doesn't make it for us. He could be in the Carrier situation from a few years back. Or he could stick with us. Giving him a deal like Stastney and Blankenburg got with the 2nd year 1-way could work - and could also help dissuade other teams from claiming him on waivers if it came to that? :dunno:
Thought del gaizo still had a year under contract. He was drafted a year after Stastney so he should get a little less than Stastney but i wouldnt mind something similar. Maybe a 3 year just to lock him in and not have to deal with it again
825K / 250K
825K / 400K

Parssinen and Tomasino maybe 1x1 each and both 1 way. Would be nice to get down to 925K since we are trying to get as much capspace as possible but i dont know if we can get that low. They both have pretty significant nhl time. Then again McCarron is only 900K so maybe we can get em lower on a 1 year contract but i dont think theyll agree to less than what Stastney just got rewarded on a NHL level.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Thought del gaizo still had a year under contract. He was drafted a year after Stastney so he should get a little less than Stastney but i wouldnt mind something similar. Maybe a 3 year just to lock him in and not have to deal with it again
825K / 250K
825K / 400K

Parssinen and Tomasino maybe 1x1 each and both 1 way. Would be nice to get down to 925K since we are trying to get as much capspace as possible but i dont know if we can get that low. They both have pretty significant nhl time. Then again McCarron is only 900K so maybe we can get em lower on a 1 year contract but i dont think theyll agree to less than what Stastney just got rewarded on a NHL level.
The difference is they don't have an arbitrator who will give them more like Stastney did. I think Tomasino and Parssinen should just take their $775k. As long as Trotz is even offering them 1-way deals, that is. Having had significant NHL time already means they should already have banked pretty good money... they're not coming off $90k like the minor league guys. Fighting over an extra $100k shouldn't be something they need to do. They're at the next level: fighting to show they belong in permanent roles in the everyday lineup. And that's something they could invest in by taking the $775k deals. :dunno:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
BTW, I don't know if folks have found this site yet or not...? It mimics CapFriendly moreso than PuckPedia's unique layout...

The one problem I see with this one is it doesn't seem complete. Puckpedia has the NMC info listed for the recent signings while Capwages does not.

There is also Cap-Space that does have the NMC info but also for some reason is including some AHL players on the Preds roster at the moment.
Nashville Predators - CapSpace (cap-space.com)

Personally for now, I feel like Puckpedia is the better one outside of the layout. One thing I find interesting about Puckpedia is they also list the player's agent and let you see who the other players for that agent are. That may give some insight as to who may be hard to re-sign when looking at that agent's client list.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hey guys, Edmonton fan popping in. I was just looking at your cap situation and I have to say it’s quite impressive the roster Trotz has put together with almost 12M in dead cap.
That being said, it seems like ideally they might want to shed some cap to give themselves a little breathing room. Reading through your threads it seems like Fabbro is sliding down the depth chart and could possibly be a cap casualty.

I haven’t watched a ton of Preds hockey but when I do he’s a guy who always catches my eye. He seems like a smart defender who’s good positionally and has a good stick. Seems poised with the puck, maybe doesn’t have the offensive upside that was hoped for when he was drafted but seems to have a decent first pass and ability to start a breakout.

Seems like his best play came when he was playing in a supporting role with Josi and I’ve wondered if he could be a good partner in a similar role to help bring some stability and cover a bit for Nurses chaotic and sometimes brain dead style of play. He would be our #4 playing 18 a night or so and be one of our PK RD. Wouldn’t need much from him offensively but really need a dependable defender who’s got a decent transition game but more importantly can excel both in transition defending and in zone with a partner who can get a bit loose sometimes.

How do you guys think Fabbro would fit in a role like that on a team like Edmonton?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Hey guys, Edmonton fan popping in. I was just looking at your cap situation and I have to say it’s quite impressive the roster Trotz has put together with almost 12M in dead cap.
That being said, it seems like ideally they might want to shed some cap to give themselves a little breathing room. Reading through your threads it seems like Fabbro is sliding down the depth chart and could possibly be a cap casualty.

I haven’t watched a ton of Preds hockey but when I do he’s a guy who always catches my eye. He seems like a smart defender who’s good positionally and has a good stick. Seems poised with the puck, maybe doesn’t have the offensive upside that was hoped for when he was drafted but seems to have a decent first pass and ability to start a breakout.

Seems like his best play came when he was playing in a supporting role with Josi and I’ve wondered if he could be a good partner in a similar role to help bring some stability and cover a bit for Nurses chaotic and sometimes brain dead style of play. He would be our #4 playing 18 a night or so and be one of our PK RD. Wouldn’t need much from him offensively but really need a dependable defender who’s got a decent transition game but more importantly can excel both in transition defending and in zone with a partner who can get a bit loose sometimes.

How do you guys think Fabbro would fit in a role like that on a team like Edmonton?
I think he's a really solid #4 if he's being asked to do nothing but play positionally sound defense. Probably his ideal usage honestly.

What's the return?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think he's a really solid #4 if he's being asked to do nothing but play positionally sound defense. Probably his ideal usage honestly.

What's the return?
Return would really depend on if Nashville is taking cap back or sending Fabbro’s full cap hit without taking anything back. More than likely the Oilers would be sending Ceci out in a separate deal to create the space for Fabbro.

The issue is I see is that Nashville probably wants to send someone out to clear cap before the season starts and Oilers would probably be looking more at an in season deal. My feeling is they really liked what they saw of Broberg playing in that #4 slot on the right side in the playoffs but they need a larger sample size and they want to hang onto Ceci just in case Broberg isn’t ready to fill that role early season and also to let the trade market develop to see if a definitive upgrade on Ceci comes available because most of what’s available right now, such as a guy like Fabbro isn’t a clear cut upgrade, it’s more gambling on the fact that he might fit better with Nyrse then Ceci does.

Fabbro is a pending UFA if I’m not mistaken so he’s basically a rental and if the Oilers were acquiring his full cap hit without sending any cap back I’d guess they’d probably be comfortable with a package of mid picks or mid pick and prospect.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we are sending out fabbro or glass then it is likely as a cap casualty so the return would likely need to be one of a pick, AHL bound prospect, or future considerations. I honestly like Fabbro but i see him as odd man out in our d group seeing that
1 - brunette likes having josi on the right side
2 - lauzon carrier pairing received alot of icetime last season and both are back this season
3 - schenn has intangibles and a style of play that Brunette likes and probably would be a favorable partner for Stastney on the 3rd pairing.
4 - having 2.5 million sitting in the pressbox when we have zero capspace is not really acceptable.

Fabbro is a capable dman but from my eyetest does fan on passes a bit but overall plays a decent game. I think it is dumb to trade him in favor of schenn but it is likely what ends up happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad