Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Holding onto Askarov after Saros extension is insanity. Move him while he still has high value and help the team win now. This is a team who's core is not getting any younger and they need a lot of help.

Askarov's one of your best trade assets, currently, so for f***'s sake Barry, you better pull the trigger on this one. No more half-assing this. It's all or nothing.
Not trying to be a smart-aleck here, but what kind of return do you think Askarov gets right now? He's a top goalie prospect who has shown that he needs further development before becoming an NHL starter. Would you be satisfied with a top F or top D prospect as a return?

As part of a bigger package deal, I think Askarov could be moved for something that improves the team now, and I'm fully onboard with that, but we shouldn't move him just because Saros got extended.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
What does Trotz do if Askarov "lights it up" and Saros shits the bed at the same time? That's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Daugherty seems to think Askarov is going to be the backup next year based on his interview with Trotz. Super obvious take but we really need Askarov to light it up as a backup and then I think we actually could get a haul for him.

Reactions: bdub24

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Holding onto Askarov after Saros extension is insanity. Move him while he still has high value and help the team win now. This is a team who's core is not getting any younger and they need a lot of help.

Askarov's one of your best trade assets, currently, so for f***'s sake Barry, you better pull the trigger on this one. No more half-assing this. It's all or nothing.
What do you consider high value?

What does Trotz do if Askarov "lights it up" and Saros shits the bed at the same time? That's a nightmare waiting to happen.
This is a massive “what if”

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Most of the young players in Milwaukee are not top 6 (first or second line) forwards or top 4 (first or second pairing) defenders.

Sorry, they just aren’t.
Yeah, sorry not buying it. Milwaukee has now had a couple of tremendously successful seasons and none of those players are worthy enough? But Fagemo was brought in, as was Beauvillier who did absolutely nothing! Same goes for Gurianov, Foudy and we didn't even play JAD but 1 game.

I think Svechkov, Kemell, ZLH are all at least able to play on the 2nd line. And Molendyk, Gravel, Livingstone and Del Gaizo could play 2nd pairing. Stastney came up and filled in well till he was injured.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well, despite the talk going into this weekend all we've really done is extended Saros and stood pat in the draft. With all the deals being made, TB opening enough space to keep Stamkos, the likelihood of targets like Pesce going elsewhere, it feels like all we're going to see for a big offseason move is re-signing a Zucker or Carrier on Monday. Hope Trotz has something more up his sleeve.

Reactions: Armourboy

PredsV82

Mushy Middle Forever
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
In other Preds news they have announced the first 6 players from each 4 nations team and the Preds have 2 of the 24 (Forsberg and Saros)

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1719703904904.png

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Our future center depth is shaping up. Still lots of questions on defense but adding Gibson will help.

Just pick shuffling trades are meh.

As the team sits now, next season will be meh as well. Will see how free agency goes

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, despite the talk going into this weekend all we've really done is extended Saros and stood pat in the draft. With all the deals being made, TB opening enough space to keep Stamkos, the likelihood of targets like Pesce going elsewhere, it feels like all we're going to see for a big offseason move is re-signing a Zucker or Carrier on Monday. Hope Trotz has something more up his sleeve.
I full expect that Trotz has big ideas for Monday, he flames out on all but one of them and then has to circle back to guys like Zucker and Carrier just to fill spots cause we know he ain't going to bring anyone up to do that.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
So, it's Stamkos and Skjei at least come Monday,

Some rumors floating around that Vegas is after Askarov. Don't see them having anything enticing to offer for us.

I like Trotz' asking price for Askarov, though. A legit NHL'er or an equivalent prospect who is not a goalie.

I wonder if a guy like Cole Sillinger from Columbus would be available. They already have Jenner and Fantilli down the middle and they just drafted Lindstrom to complement them. Sillinger could be the odd-man out.

Other names I've wondered:

David Reinbacher/Logan Mailloux (MTL)
Frank Nazar (CHI) - but do we want to trade in-division?

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The only reason not to go for Stamkos at this point is if he wants term, like more than 3ish years.. clearly a rebuild isn't gonna happen so just use the cap space and there's not really a better option out there

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The only reason not to go for Stamkos at this point is if he wants term, like more than 3ish years.. clearly a rebuild isn't gonna happen so just use the cap space and there's not really a better option out there
Yep if you aren't going to truly rebuild you might as well load up and take a stab at it. My guess is Trotz offers him 7 x 4 or something similar. He apparently hasn't been stellar 5 vs 5 but on the PP he is still awesome and TBH we really could use that.

Reactions: PredsV82

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If you have a superstar goalie on an entry level contract or 2nd contract, you can make it work. Saros is still a top 10 goalie in a league with multiple elite teams with crap goaltending. He is movable with or without that contract.

Trotz believes in elite goaltending. I don't think that is a mistake. This situation is enviable if you do not have a goalie, but it is not enviable in that goalies development is one of the hardest thing to predict in all of sports.

As a fan, I have had to just relax and say, "It is better to have goaltending in abundance, then to not have a goaltender." Yeah, this is a basic thought, but I guarantee something similar is going through this organization's management.

Heck yes I want Stamkos. He is one of the most entertaining players of the last generation. I would LOVE to see him on the Predators. Just like I wanted Peter Forsberg (that was awesome) and Paul Kariya.

I'm a fan. Let's go. If we can't win a cup, I'll take an entertaining roster with one of the best offensive players in his era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad