Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Parssinen official

Comeon Tomasino. Sign something similar and lets go

Tomasino and Parssinen will just need to sign before camp. Obviously nobody is going to give them an offer sheet and it doesn't do either of their careers any good to hold out and miss part of camp. They have very little leverage.
At this point, a 1 way league minimum is a guaranteed raise for them. Take it and work your way into the lineup. Im sure they want more but capspace is limited now.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Parssinen official

Comeon Tomasino. Sign something similar and lets go
Tomasino should just take whatever the Preds are offering. Don't ask for more than $775k, and if Trotz is insisting on a 2-way deal, just take that... if the Preds ever waive him, he's going to get claimed, and that's going to be a good thing for his career. So he should just make sure he signs and gets going from Day 1 of camp, let the chips fall where they may with his on ice performance. If he wants to get paid based on his stats, he'll have to wait until he can file for arbitration next summer. For now, he just needs to get on the ice and play hockey.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tomasino should just take whatever the Preds are offering. Don't ask for more than $775k, and if Trotz is insisting on a 2-way deal, just take that... if the Preds ever waive him, he's going to get claimed, and that's going to be a good thing for his career. So he should just make sure he signs and gets going from Day 1 of camp, let the chips fall where they may with his on ice performance. If he wants to get paid based on his stats, he'll have to wait until he can file for arbitration next summer. For now, he just needs to get on the ice and play hockey.
Parsinnen got a 1 way deal. No way or reason Tomasino shouldnt get a 1 way deal as well.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Parsinnen got a 1 way deal. No way or reason Tomasino shouldnt get a 1 way deal as well.
The only reason would be that the Preds like Parssinen, and think he has the work ethic and dimensionality to be an NHL player, even on the bottom lines. Whereas they may still have doubts about Tomasino.

To me, the fact that you'd lose him on waivers 100% for certain if you tried to send him down says to me there's absolutely no point whatsoever in bothering with a 2-way deal for him. I'm not sure Trotz looks at things quite that way, however? :dunno:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Once again, "character" hangs over these decisions. According to Trotz, Juuso has "it," and Askarov didn't. My gut tells me Tomasino is closer to not having "it" than having "it."

I hope Trotz gives him a one-way, and Tomasino takes it. Tomasino may not amount to anything, but it is too soon to know.

For better or worse, Trotz is god right now. He looks into your soul and decides your virtues.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Glad to see Pars get a deal that's 1 way. I am more hopeful on his long-term outcome than I am Tomasino. He should have ample opportunity to center a productive line.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Once again, "character" hangs over these decisions. According to Trotz, Juuso has "it," and Askarov didn't. My gut tells me Tomasino is closer to not having "it" than having "it."

I hope Trotz gives him a one-way, and Tomasino takes it. Tomasino may not amount to anything, but it is too soon to know.

For better or worse, Trotz is god right now. He looks into your soul and decides your virtues.
What exactly is that "it"? Is it the same "it" that neither Fiala nor Tolvanen had? Because if it is, I'm not 100% sure that's the "it" you need to absolutely have.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wonder if Trotz just decided to wait till everyone would start coming into town for camp to tie up these loose ends.
Could also be that rookie camp starts in a two days and he's telling these guys this is his best offer so take it or leave it because he's moving on to the season now. Not like any of these guys have any leverage at all.

Reactions: PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just under 1.5 million in capspace and Del Gaizo in the minors and a 21 man roster. Really not a way to get to 23 man roster and be cap compliant since league min is 775K (i think) without sending down someone like McCarron (900K or more). That would free up space for 3 league min contracts and be cap compliant. More than likely we run a 22 player roster and accumulate some space over the year for a deadline pickup if needed.

Tomasino at whatever he cost will put us up to 13 forwards. 1 of stastney, Molendyk, or del gaizo puts us at 7 d, then 2 goalies. Should have roughly 500K to 700K in space depending on how things shake out (22 players)

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
For those of you saying Parssinen is better or will be better than Tomasino. I get it. There are legitimate eye test reasons to think so. But it's worth noting that he was absolutely awful at NHL level last year, and while Brunette took some blame, it's on the player too.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
For those of you saying Parssinen is better or will be better than Tomasino. I get it. There are legitimate eye test reasons to think so. But it's worth noting that he was absolutely awful at NHL level last year, and while Brunette took some blame, it's on the player too.
Brunette takes the blame because he didn't put him in a position where he could do well. He was on a different line every night, and the role he was asked to play was different every night. Coaches don't publicly take the blame on players, so for him to do so tells you something.

For what its worth, I don't think Tomasino has been put in the best of situations either.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah there’s plenty to like about Parsinnen but I do find it interesting how the general consensus on here is much higher on him than Tomasino.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Anybody else wondering if there’s a trade Fabbro. they’re always seems to be smoke with him being traded
Seems like that ship has kind of sailed at this point. If there were a decent return out there for him we probably move him instead of Glass. No reason to move him and at worst he’s a nice depth piece that we know can play well with Josi.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah there’s plenty to like about Parsinnen but I do find it interesting how the general consensus on here is much higher on him than Tomasino.
I think that’s more situational/pragmatic though than based on any sort of objective player evaluation? I see Parssinen as a player the Preds will at least afford an opportunity to. I’m not so sure they will afford the same opportunity to Tomasino. It’s independent of being “higher” on one than the other.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
What exactly is that "it"? Is it the same "it" that neither Fiala nor Tolvanen had? Because if it is, I'm not 100% sure that's the "it" you need to absolutely have.
We will regret letting Tomasino go if that happens. The dude is a good hockey player I don’t get why anyone has issues with him. Give the kid a one way deal and get him out on the ice. He should have been full time last season. Ridiculous they are screwing around with this.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anybody else wondering if there’s a trade Fabbro. they’re always seems to be smoke with him being traded
I think Fabbro is still here because he provides an option if someone goes down long term. He's basically depth, or who knows, after last season Trotz may be more than a little worried that Schenn just completely drops off.

Either way the depth option he provides is worth more than the draft pick you could get. The only reason to move him is if someone gives you something that fills a hole you don't know you currently have.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Now just Tomasino left... if he holds out, it will be interesting to see who would land the final roster spot. It could be L'Heureux or they might just use one of the AHL tweeners they signed like Lucchini. It sort of has to be a 22-man roster now, unless we do get cashback for RyJo. The Cap remaining is less than the league minimum salary.

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Stamkos ($8M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marchessault ($5.5M)
Evangelista ($0.7975M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Parssinen ($0.775M)
Jankowski ($0.800M) - McCarron ($0.900M) - Smith ($1M)
Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)

Skjei ($7M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier ($3.75M)
Stastney ($0.825M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Wedgewood ($1.5M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M (???)
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $87.2791M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $0.7209M

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Parssinen wasn't given a chance to play center until he had already been run down the line up at wing then sat for two weeks.

The "the coaches ruined Tomasino" thing is tired, he hasn't shown anything except being able to put up .5 ppg in sheltered minutes against grinders. He at least played his normal position and was given top6 minutes and PP time.

Let Parssinen work his way into the lineup in the position he knows then see where the chips fall. If he succeeds, great. If he performs at Tomasino's level then give someone else a chace. If they play him at wing again, expect the same result.

Reactions: PredsV82

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Any chance they were just waiting out to see if there was extra capspace coming from Joey's contract termination in time?

Parssinen and Del Gaizo didn't have much leverage, so they were probably easy to persuade to just take the minimum deals if there was no extra capspace just to make it work.

Tomasino had good point totals for last few years, so there's some leverage, so he might be a tougher customer. Barry may have promised a compensation for taking less money now, but it's always a risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad