Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
O' Hara having a good start will be something to watch. He already has half of his normal season production in a handful of games. May not mean anything but something to see if it continues.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Stamkos had 14 goals 5on5 last season, 4th best on the Bolts with a similar rate to Hagel who was 3rd in 5on5 goals scored (16 goals) while playing about a minute and a half more per game in that situation. Only one Pred had more than 12 goals 5on5 last season.

His game isn't about explosive speed. It's getting enough open space and unleashing that shot we finally got to see go in yesterday. Obviously I don't expect him to have the same quickness and agility

Fair enough on the 5 on 5 production. I'm certainly not rooting against him. I hope he clicks here in all situations.

I didn't say his game was about explosive speed. I said I was surprised at how slow and non explosive he has looked, and I wasn't expecting much in either department. I don't expect him to have the same quickness and agility in his mid-30s as he did a decade ago, but I'm still surprised about how slow and old he has looked thus far. He was a quick agile skater when he first came into the league. Sometimes it takes guys a bit of time to get their legs underneath them early in the season. Hopefully that is the case here.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not surprised Stamkos isn't great 5v5, Tampa fans told us that. My surprise is Brunette not knowing that and giving him the number of minutes he has. He hasn't averaged this much ice time since 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundgarden

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Using our resident soccer guy from Atlanta’s logic, Nashville Predators 2022 fourth round selection Cole O’Hara is now the greatest prospect in the Predators organization because he is leading the NCAA in points. He has 3 goals and 6 points for a 1.8 ppg.

ALL HALE THE GREAT COLE O’HARA.
Is he also padding stats against the likes of Alaska-Fairbanks like Fink is?

I'm not surprised Stamkos isn't great 5v5, Tampa fans told us that. My surprise is Brunette not knowing that and giving him the number of minutes he has. He hasn't averaged this much ice time since 2015.
Feels like you want to shelter him and manage minutes on a 3rd scoring line with offensive zone starts and then feed him heavy PP time. Marchy is a far more active player and should be with linemates that can counterattack with speed as well.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Fair enough on the 5 on 5 production. I'm certainly not rooting against him. I hope he clicks here in all situations.

I didn't say his game was about explosive speed. I said I was surprised at how slow and non explosive he has looked, and I wasn't expecting much in either department. I don't expect him to have the same quickness and agility in his mid-30s as he did a decade ago, but I'm still surprised about how slow and old he has looked thus far. He was a quick agile skater when he first came into the league. Sometimes it takes guys a bit of time to get their legs underneath them early in the season. Hopefully that is the case here.
Nothing in his game requires speed or explosiveness. He gets to his area and generates a decent, consistent shot volume. He wasn't brought in to be an aggressive fore or back checker. The area of his game that is bothering me so far is his low shooting percentage. One goal on twenty shots, no conversion 5on5 is troublesome. That is the same problem from Marchessault so far ... getting his shots on net, not getting them in. Until the team figures out who is on the second and third lines ... starts getting some traffic in front of the net for screens, tips, and rebounds ... starts getting more shots from inside ... it won't matter how high the shot volumes are from Marchessault, Skjei, Josi, Forsberg, and Stamkos (5 goals total on 98 combined shots from those players).

We're well past the time when Bruno needs to do some of that line creation / building aspect of his job. After five games we still can't consistently predict if Marchessault and Stamkos are linemates or not ... we don't know who is the center with either of them (Stamkos and Marchessault with Sissons for 12 minutes of 5on5, with Novak for about 8 1/2). Who is across from him? Who is going to the front of the net to create some traffic?

It isn't 5on5 TOI driving Stamkos' total TOI. His 5on5 TOI/game is currently his 12th highest of his career. Add another 2 minutes per game on average with our goalie pulled for his ES TOI. Where his TOI is actually elevated is on the PP which is tied for his 3rd highest average per game at 3:58.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad