Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
People need to stop worrying about being in the mushy middle with this group. We were going to be there even without the signings in the summer. Maybe we would be on the lower end rather than the upper end but we were going to be there. That is the reason Trotz did what he did. Whether it turns out the way we hoped it would or not, it was basically the only chance to get out of it.

We may end up missing the playoffs, so what? Would we really be in any different position on that front?

Now going with youth vs vets is a different argument, and I think one that is valid to have although ultimately at this point doesn't matter.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
At this point, if probably throw one of those kids in for Nyquist for a game or 2. He's been a Trainwreck.
Forwards generally peak around 24-26. Relying on 30+ year olds for FIVE of our top six slots was always risky, and we're locked into most of them long term.

Overall, we aren't 0-5 bad. We'll bounce back and end up being in the mushy middle. Our underlying numbers look a lot better than 0-5 shows, and the new guys will gel over time. I'm not panicked about this year because the reality is this was never a true contender, just more of of the same.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Forwards generally peak around 24-26. Relying on 30+ year olds for FIVE of our top six slots was always risky, and we're locked into most of them long term.

Overall, we aren't 0-5 bad. We'll bounce back and end up being in the mushy middle. Our underlying numbers look a lot better than 0-5 shows, and the new guys will gel over time. I'm not panicked about this year because the reality is this was never a true contender, just more of of the same.
So agree with the first part for sure. For Trotz to say that players should be coming to win championships not retire... It's an interesting strategy.

Where I disagree with you is the idea panicked about the year: we all know this team is better than the worst team in the league. We know that.

I think myself, and you for that matter, advocated for a true rebuild and we started to see that at the start of the Trotz/Poile transition, because our team started looking like a retirement home.

I was all in on put the chips all on the table with the signings this off-season. Good, we committed to a direction which is win now. Trade the youth. Burn the boats. Whatever. Some people wanted a rebuild more, some people wanted a cup chasing team more.

What I don't think ANYONE condoned is mushy middle. That is the absolute worst outcome.

And I can't say this forcefully enough: if adding Skeji, Stammer and Marchy only got us to the mushy middle again ... Someone's faith in this teams core was very, very off. Like someone needs to be shown the door off.

We traded our best prospect to lock up our current starter, we committed roster spots to vets instead of letting our youth grow into them. How are the prospects supposed to get to NHL level if they never get the opportunities to?

If we are mushy middle and barely miss the playoffs/lose in the first round that just isn't acceptable for the investment this team has made. More of the same is not going grow the shrinking fanbase.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Thankfully missed the game tonight but woof looks like a brutal one. I said it last time that while I expected some struggles out the gate I didn’t expect us to be completely hapless. One other thing that I haven’t seen mentioned is that the way last season ended was brutal too blowing a series we very easily could have won. It’s especially frustrating seeing Silovs turn into a pumpkin and lose his job to the back up we jettisoned.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This team is doing a lot of the things it needs to in order to win ... 2nd best FO% in the league, most shots per game, players we want shooting among the highest shot totals in the game (Forsberg, Stamkos, Josi, Skjei, Marchassault all in the top 45 shot count). Unfortunately, its doing more to cost itself games. The turnovers in the defensive zone that result in quick goals against, the odd man rushes allowed, Saros giving up at least one bad goal a game, too little traffic in front of the opposing goalie so that high shot total results in unscreened attempts that get saved and the rebounds collected by the other team, etc. The boys are -11 playing 5on5 hockey .... then there are the five empty net goals allowed (-4 with the extra attacker).

It's a bit early for the seasonal questioning of the coaching staff and on ice leadership ... but after five games here we sit. When are the alleged leaders going to step up and put a stop to the self inflicted damage every game? The getting full control of the puck in the defensive zone only to brainfart it away has to stop. The skating past the post and taking themselves out of the goalie's sightline and position to collect rebounds has to stop. The poorly timed pinches (Lauzon especially) need to end. The east west movement and getting in each other's way should never have started.

Until the team addresses its self destructive actions on ice the opposition doesn't need a star to step up and carry the team or a goalie to stand on his head. The other teams can just sit back and watch the Preds beat themselves.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It's so weird, he only posts when we're losing. :whatever:
I posted in the summer and preseason about how optimistic I was at what Trotz had done. Now that the season has started things are not going well , I'm as lost as anyone to why.

So I'm only noticed when things are going bad well that's ok. The attacks on me occur about the same time the fire bugs start you know then. Fire Trotz Fire Brunette Fire Hynes. I do not contend I have any inside info like I once did to this team so I am in the same position as every one of you folks.

As to posting well I still read here daily which gives me opportunity to post on every little thing like most here but that is a pety way follow a fan page. So I guess I will continue on and every so often trigger a handful of readers just by being here. When things are going well I still reserve the option to post or not. One thing I will not do or have never done is promote the team tanking see I want to see them succeed. There are players on this roster now and historically that I believe have not helped nor will not help in the future. Some have been addressed during this skid. If someone would have noticed before the season as soon as March and Stammer were added
I made the point they needed a complimentary center most pointed out that Sissions would be the man. Since that has not been successful where do they go? The pressure that could be taken off the 1st line would only help. So yes Trotz had the right idea they only lack that effective center to play with March and Stammer . Of course offense is not the only issue but each area has to be addressed individually. Offense is the closest to a quick fix. The defense is mess which negatively impacts the goal tending. I have never been a Saros fan but it is hard to criticize him right now with the D in front of him. But I would point out how easily goalies confidence is broken so the D has to be addressed pretty quick before Saros new contract goes into effect. For example Jake Ottenger had a good start then went thru a similar situation and he was almost out of the league before Dallas took a chance. He got back on track and is one of the best in the league.

Sorry I got derailed and started talking about hockey instead of what a number wanted to talk about a salty fan.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

I was posting about pro athletes in the modern day extending the primes of their careers and their careers in total in the former Preds thread. It is clear that athletes have better understanding of nutrition, training, rest, and taking care of bodies than they did a generation ago. This is leading to longer careers, BUT, Trotz is pushing the boundaries with this team in regards to the age of players in key positions.

I didn't watch yesterday's game, but watched the four before that and I have been surprised by how slow and unexplosive Stamkos looked. I wasn't even expecting much and it's still worse than I expected. Hopefully he is out of shape and playing his way into game shape.

Maybe TB fans weren't just salty about losing him when they claimed he has been bad 5 on 5. I'm going to try to remain optimistic and hope there is another level for him to get to as he adjusts to a new team and gets into better shape.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Stamkos and Marchessault spend about as much time apart as together 5on5 ... just under 35 minutes together, 31-ish each separated (for comparison the 9/90/14 line has over 50 minutes of 5on5 time so far this season ... Smith and McCarron have over 30 minutes together on the 4th line 5on5). The thing is that none of the team's 5on5 goals occurred Stamkos or Marchessault on the ice ... Marchessault's lone "even strength" point was with the goalie pulled.

Bruno needs to figure out what the middle six is for this team and let it run for more than a couple of shifts. Is it Stamkos and Marchessault on the wings with Novak or Sissons between them? Is it the FA signings on separate lines with Evangalista and Tomasino across from them? Right now there is no consistency and minimal 5on5 production.

Is it too late to call up Molendyk?

No. Scratch Pärssinen, Tomasino, and Fabbro to skate 7 defenders sounds like something in the realm of realistic for Bruno.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Maybe TB fans weren't just salty about losing him when they claimed he has been bad 5 on 5. I'm going to try to remain optimistic and hope there is another level for him to get to as he adjusts to a new team and gets into better shape.
Stamkos had 14 goals 5on5 last season, 4th best on the Bolts with a similar rate to Hagel who was 3rd in 5on5 goals scored (16 goals) while playing about a minute and a half more per game in that situation. Only one Pred had more than 12 goals 5on5 last season.

His game isn't about explosive speed. It's getting enough open space and unleashing that shot we finally got to see go in yesterday.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Using our resident soccer guy from Atlanta’s logic, Nashville Predators 2022 fourth round selection Cole O’Hara is now the greatest prospect in the Predators organization because he is leading the NCAA in points. He has 3 goals and 6 points for a 1.8 ppg.

ALL HALE THE GREAT COLE O’HARA.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad