GDT: Nashville Predators 2024 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We literally just had the best example of a guy that got on a good run and then was done in Jeannot. Why people are holding on to two years ago like it means anything is beyond me. He may have went on his good run that season and it's over. We haven't seen it since and I haven't seen anything out of him in the preseason against weak competition that makes me think he suddenly going to be something different.

If he earns a spot great. If he doesn't I have zero issue in waiving him. The next couple of seasons is not the time to be hoping and praying a guy can play.
Yeahbut... we got a whole draft for Jeannot. We get zip all if Parssinen is claimed on waivers? For all we know, Jeannot will also bounce back. He had injury issues and was still an ok-ish checker even at his worst, still an NHL player. I don't really see the comparable.

To me, the Parssinen situation is more like Tolvanen. You have a guy that has shown flashes, but you can't quite commit to his spot in the lineup for the style of player that he is... but you haven't really given him the full opportunity to shine yet either, just you think maybe you can sneak him through waivers?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Just on the Parssinen demotion question... it wouldn't shock me if the Preds simply messed up on that? Like they tried to demote Parssinen, only to have the NHL reject it on the basis of needing the waiver action? Because his case is a little borderline, given he only has the 2 full years here. All the websites have always marked him as waiver-eligible this year, so I have gone by that and haven't been "parsing" the rulebook. But normally you need 3 years. Something about his age/signing date/playoff cameo the year before has made him waiver eligible. It's quite possible IMO the Preds didn't even realize he needed to clear waivers. :dunno: :oops:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Am I the only one a bit.. concerned about the Stamkos-Novak-March line? Stamkos has had his struggles at 5v5 lately and none of them at this point are really known for their defensive chops. Marchessault at least is a good play driver but that line might really need to dominate possession to be effective and I'm a little skeptical on that front with 2 out of the 3.
Yeah I think that's a valid concern. The O'Reilly line should take the make difficult matchups generally so hopefully that helps them but I also wouldn't be surprised if we have to dramatically shake up the lines as soon as the season starts.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeahbut... we got a whole draft for Jeannot. We get zip all if Parssinen is claimed on waivers? For all we know, Jeannot will also bounce back. He had injury issues and was still an ok-ish checker even at his worst, still an NHL player. I don't really see the comparable.

To me, the Parssinen situation is more like Tolvanen. You have a guy that has shown flashes, but you can't quite commit to his spot in the lineup for the style of player that he is... but you haven't really given him the full opportunity to shine yet either, just you think maybe you can sneak him through waivers?
Tolvanen had already played a full season and had shown he was at least a decent two way option on the 3rd line if he couldn't do anything else. Tolvanen was also a 1st round pick, which means someone was always more likely to take a chance.

Parssinen is a 7th round pick that looked promising two years ago but sense then hasn't done much. Are teams willing to guarantee a guy like that a roster spot on their team for the season? I mean maybe that team is out there, but teams also know how much we've looked for good centers, so if we are waiving him I'm not sure how many are going to be that confident. Not to mention it's always easier to get them through this time of year as opposed to mid season.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Tolvanen had already played a full season and had shown he was at least a decent two way option on the 3rd line if he couldn't do anything else.
Preds didn't think so.
Tolvanen was also a 1st round pick, which means someone was always more likely to take a chance.

Parssinen is a 7th round pick that looked promising two years ago but sense then hasn't done much. Are teams willing to guarantee a guy like that a roster spot on their team for the season?
Did we guarantee Fagemo or Foudy a roster spot on our team for the season?
I mean maybe that team is out there, but teams also know how much we've looked for good centers, so if we are waiving him I'm not sure how many are going to be that confident. Not to mention it's always easier to get them through this time of year as opposed to mid season.
It's certainly the time to do it, if you are ever going to, that much I agree on. I think it's about 50/50 Parssinen would clear. I just don't see the value added to us in taking that gamble. L'Heureux is coming on like gangbusters, I love that from him. But he has time. Wiesblatt is kind of a fad/latest-trend, I doubt he is really going to suddenly pan out for us after busting to date - would be hilarious/awesome if he did - but I'm really not banking anything on Wiesblatt. Parssinen has shown us a TON more in the NHL than Wiesblatt ever has. And Jankowski is... Jankowski. Yeah, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about taking a longer look at Parssinen.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Did we guarantee Fagemo or Foudy a roster spot on our team for the season?
Well in Fagemo's case the Kings got him back in the end and in Foudy's case the Jackets could have reclaimed him and sent him down but chose not to. So if we think Parsinnen won't be able to stick in the NHL then we should similarly be able to get him back even if he goes on a bit of an adventure.
And Jankowski is... Jankowski.
As much as I wasn't a fan of us elevating Jankowski last year into the role he got I actually think he's a very useful guy to have as an extra forward on a contending team. He can slot anywhere in the lineup and be effective enough to get you by. Now if he manages to get through waivers then its just as good to have him in Milwaukee but I think he has a non-zero chance of being claimed too.

In recent years I've been a huge play the prospects guy since we weren't really contenders but at this point we should be contenders so the calculus changes in my book. I don't really see the comparison to Tolvanen. In Tolvanen's case his rate stats improved each season so it was more obvious his problem was usage. There isn't anything like that I see in Parsinnen's numbers. How Tomasino's camp gas gone tells me that Parsinnen should have had the opportunity to make the team out of camp so I think if he gets passed over for L'Hereux or Wiesblatt I won't be too torn up.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I like Pärssinen but now with Svechkov, Surin, and Edström in reserves he is more expendable. He was drafted at age 20 in the 7th round so our actual investment into him isnt massive.

That said, there is talent there and id like to see him get a proper shot. If L'Heureux or even Ozzy pass him then so be it... but u want Pärssinen to be given a legit chance. I dont want him waived simply because someone with better draft pedigree is around (McCarron, Jankowski, Ozzy, and L'Heureux are all 1st round picks).

Also, Tomasino has impressed me so far. He is playing like he took the criticism to heart. Hopefully that doesnt wear off as the season goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad