GDT: nashville plays carolina in ice hockey wtf???

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I grew up owning dogs, but at this stage in my life, the "low maintenance" aspect of a cat wins out.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Coolest dog we ever owned was a wire hair fox terrier (which we bought because of an allergy to one of my siblings). The dog was the best "people" dog we ever owned (better than a black lab and golden we had owned), but it also kinda had the personality of a cat. It was great with young children, kids, adults, and loved to play. It had 1 drawback though. It hated every other animal and would try to attack and kill anything it came across (including 2 skunks which also sprayed it unfortunately). It got along ok with other dogs, but that's it (although I don't know that it ever came across a cat).

Wire-Fox-Terrier-7.jpg

The Black Lab and Golden we owned were more "loyal" type dogs, but not nearly as interesting.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
My best dog was Buster, a Boxer.

He had a personality on him. Still miss him. Passed up a German Shepard pup, maybe next year when my daughter is a little older.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Coolest dog we ever owned was a wire hair fox terrier (which we bought because of an allergy to one of my siblings). The dog was the best "people" dog we ever owned (better than a black lab and golden we had owned), but it also kinda had the personality of a cat. It was great with young children, kids, adults, and loved to play. It had 1 drawback though. It hated every other animal and would try to attack and kill anything it came across (including 2 skunks which also sprayed it unfortunately). It got along ok with other dogs, but that's it (although I don't know that it ever came across a cat).

Wire-Fox-Terrier-7.jpg

The Black Lab and Golden we owned were more "loyal" type dogs, but not nearly as interesting.

as someone who takes great care in their grass, gotta say you've got a nice lawn. no weeds in sight.

strong work.

(nice dog too)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My brother had 2 Dalmations. Worst dogs I have ever seen, as a good number of them are just uncontrollable, and one of his was that way. He now, believe it or not, has 2 Great Danes. He said they are the laziest animals he's ever seen. Talk about pointless.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
as someone who takes great care in their grass, gotta say you've got a nice lawn. no weeds in sight.

strong work.

(nice dog too)

:laugh:

That's not my dog/lawn, I just grabbed a shot off the internet of a fox terrier. We owned that same dog when I was in my teens, so it is long since passed. My lawn does look good though, at least from now until next June it will look good. There is no sense trying to keep a fescue lawn looking good in the summer.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
:laugh:

That's not my dog/lawn, I just grabbed a shot off the internet of a fox terrier. We owned that same dog when I was in my teens, so it is long since passed. My lawn does look good though, at least from now until next June it will look good. There is no sense trying to keep a fescue lawn looking good in the summer.

it's true. my tall fescue got bombarded with grubs this summer. brown patches everywhere. put some poison on it and i'm not kidding when i say i picked up a bucket of grubs in the following days.

put some fertilizer on it, over-seeded too. should be good by spring.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
it's true. my tall fescue got bombarded with grubs this summer. brown patches everywhere. put some poison on it and i'm not kidding when i say i picked up a bucket of grubs in the following days.

put some fertilizer on it, over-seeded too. should be good by spring.

Yeah, I've lived in my house for 10 years now and have gotten it down. The turf files on NC State's Cooperative Extension website is helpful. Just have to accept that I'm going to have to aerate and reseed every fall. I've been able to fend off the invasion of bermuda / Zoysia that have invaded most of my neighbors with fescue, but it will be a losing battle since my nextdoor neighbor has now installed Zoysia so it's only a matter of time.

North Carolina is probably the worst area in the US to grow grass. It's a bit to hot / humid for the cool season grasses, like fescue and it's not quite hot enough for the warm season grasses like bermuda, zoysia, and centipede as they stay brown from November - June. It was so much easier when I lived up north.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Back to the game. I though Ward played well, Rask looked decent, and Versteeg looks promising. The 4th line looked decent in stretches also. The rest of the forwards were kinda meh, disappointing or invisible.

Hard to tell too much on defense as it was thrown into chaos after the injury to Wiz. Hanifin looked more confident as the game progressed, but will make his share of mistakes, which is expected. Murphy still can't play defense but Liles looked better.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Yeah, I've lived in my house for 10 years now and have gotten it down. The turf files on NC State's Cooperative Extension website is helpful. Just have to accept that I'm going to have to aerate and reseed every fall. I've been able to fend off the invasion of bermuda / Zoysia that have invaded most of my neighbors with fescue, but it will be a losing battle since my nextdoor neighbor has now installed Zoysia so it's only a matter of time.

North Carolina is probably the worst area in the US to grow grass. It's a bit to hot / humid for the cool season grasses, like fescue and it's not quite hot enough for the warm season grasses like bermuda, zoysia, and centipede as they stay brown from November - June. It was so much easier when I lived up north.

i agree. it's hard being in a transition zone. my fescue grows great behind the house in the shade but has a hard time in the areas with no shade.

i follow the turf files site schedule very closely..what dates to fertilize by, what months to fertilize, how much nitrogen, when to drop pre-emergents etc.

i always held off on spending money on controlling grubs and other insects because i didn't see any brown patches anywhere up until this year. wow, gonna make it part of the yearly september/october ritual from now on tho.

my wife laughs at how much i obsess about our grass. told her it's all about making sure our kids can run around barefoot.

anyways, good grass talk....back to the game.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Back to the game. I though Ward played well, Rask looked decent, and Versteeg looks promising. The 4th line looked decent in stretches also. The rest of the forwards were kinda meh, disappointing or invisible.

Hard to tell too much on defense as it was thrown into chaos after the injury to Wiz. Hanifin looked more confident as the game progressed, but will make his share of mistakes, which is expected. Murphy still can't play defense but Liles looked better.

It felt like after a certain point Murphy stopped caring about playing defense and only cared about getting a shot off.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Cat owners are more likely to live alone and in an apartment.

Dog owners, especially, ones that get larger (> 35 lbs) are usually trying to compensate for their own inadequacies. I bet a lot of them also own big pick-up trucks and maybe even muscle cars as well. Trying to show how "manly" they are. It's kinda sad really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad