GDT: NAS-CAR - Nights of Blunder | 7:00 PM | PNC Arena

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
LaRose, when he was younger, was a relentless forechecker.

I remember one sequence during a home game, he killed off a decent chunk of a penalty all by himself. Dumped the puck in, chased it down, held it against the boards for a little while until he was knocked down. Got back up, sticklifted and stole the puck from an opposing player who was being too lax, thinking LaRose was done, then held it against the boards for another little bit.

Crowd was going nuts and John and Tripp were commenting on how LaRose feeds off the energy of the building to get him going. I believe Tripp made some comment about it being a symbiotic relationship.

Wish I could remember what game it was so I might be able to find a clip.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
While there is no way to prove it, we'll disagree on speed. I don't believe Chad was ever as fast as Dwyer, but again, no way to prove it. I do agree he was faster when he was younger, but not to Dwyer's level.

Chad LaRose had below average speed, Pat Dwyer has always been in the top 10% in the NHL. What's more, LaRose couldn't accelerate worth a damn, so the slower he was going, the longer it took him to get going. Dwyer doesn't have that problem.

It's an absolutely laughable comparison.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Yeah, that was a long time ago, so I could be wrong. Might have been more of a quickness than a top end speed. Was trying to find video of a breakaway from that era, and came up empty.

But found this, which might be the best Hurricane goal I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vZpggYbdVk

That game was awesome

Chad's goal, Eric's hatty, all beating up on the Habs on national television here. Can't remember the last time the Canes have been on TSN for a national game.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
We already have a new Char. His name is Nathan Gerbe. He does everything #larosey59 used to do in his prime, but better.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That is one of the more racist things I have read on these boards. Bryz with his view on the world is the "typical Russki goalie" in your book? Should I bring up Roy, Tugnutt, Emery, or anyone else? And the funny thing is if Bryz was successful with PHI everyone would consider him funny, a "breath of fresh air" (remember how he was viewed when playing for ANA and PHX???) Thought so...

Anyways, in other news: Chances of Dobby starting against Buf are 70:30... I am actually kinda speechless... On the other hand, if he wants to be a No.1, then he should prove it by playing a crapload of games consistently well.

Typical goalie I think would have done just fine. They are all a little off....see Tracy, Tripp.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
We already have a new Char. His name is Nathan Gerbe. He does everything #larosey59 used to do in his prime, but better.

I can't stand this comparison, but it's easy to make, since they're both short, high motor players.

Gerbe has way more hockey talent than LaRose ever had, and it's not even close.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think Chad's got an reputation on this board (some undeserved) that makes it so that comparing players to him becomes a negative thing.

But the fact of the matter is, LaRose, when he was playing that high energy, strong forechecker role, was a really effective player. Especially for an undrafted player. He forced turnovers, chipped in points, and (as much as it's joked about here) was great with the fans and players in the locker room.

Of course, the lack of any real offensive talent in the Top 6 forced LaRose to play a role he wasn't prepared for. He wasn't talented enough for it, he wasn't fast enough for it (though his speed only really took a hit when he broke his leg back in...08?), and the minutes he played eventually became too much for him to handle.

But I digress. Comparing Dwyer or Gerbe or whoever to LaRose shouldn't be a bad thing or one that draws some of the reactions it gets on this board.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
But I digress. Comparing Dwyer or Gerbe or whoever to LaRose shouldn't be a bad thing or one that draws some of the reactions it gets on this board.

I tried to interject some humor, not very well, but just backed away slowly. LaRose is still a hotly debated subject.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I love how when the team is winning, there isn't as much to complain about so the board resorts to the old standbys...LaRose arguments.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
larose was bad at hockey and you all are still in denial. as soon as the PK/JR/plymouthwhaler country club had a rare moment of sanity and chose to not offer their golden boy a contract, he was out of the league. again i'm right in my analysis.

saying stuff like larose was as fast as dwyer is just sheer lunacy. might as well be comparing komisarek to murphy. must be weird living with larose-colored glasses.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I love how when the team is winning, there isn't as much to complain about so the board resorts to the old standbys...LaRose arguments.

Hmmm...let's see if we can get older. :laugh:

Babchuk needs to be resigned. It's a travesty that he was given the lowball offer he was, and the last time our PP looked even halfway competent is when he was at the point firing away.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Hmmm...let's see if we can get older. :laugh:

Babchuk needs to be resigned. It's a travesty that he was given the lowball offer he was, and the last time our PP looked even halfway competent is when he was at the point firing away.

Plus, a Babchuk goal against the Penguins in 2009 is what secured our playoff spot that year IIRC.

And that was Ward's twenty-sixth straight start in goal that night. No wonder he's broken now.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Plus, a Babchuk goal against the Penguins in 2009 is what secured our playoff spot that year IIRC.

And that was Ward's twenty-sixth straight start in goal that night. No wonder he's broken now.

So Ward had 28 straight starts (since he played two games after that), Peters had the start for the last game of the season, then Ward started every game in the playoffs, even when he tweaked his back in the first game in the ECF. So that's another 18 games there.

46 games with 1 game off. Jesus :laugh:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
larose was bad at hockey and you all are still in denial. as soon as the PK/JR/plymouthwhaler country club had a rare moment of sanity and chose to not offer their golden boy a contract, he was out of the league. again i'm right in my analysis.

saying stuff like larose was as fast as dwyer is just sheer lunacy. might as well be comparing komisarek to murphy. must be weird living with larose-colored glasses.

"Analysis" in this case means to obsessively:

1) Ignore, downplay, and above all, try to marginalize any achievement, trait, or effort that is beneficial to the team whether that be scoring, the ability to create one's own chances, or the work ethic/hustle to play a full 60 minutes. Hold that player to a vague archetypal standard instead of the specific needs of the team and what's available. For example, if he scores goals insist that he's "robbing" the good players" (creating the laughable notion that even his scoring goals is somehow detrimental to the team, or that scoring isn't in his job description). Attempt to taint every upside, and if all else fails, mock these traits or him by assigning it "Facebook crowd" importance or "dumb love" much like in politics you demonize any association with the opposing party.

2) Highlight and attempt to direct focus at any miscue or mistake common to almost every player through the course of any game in an effort to lead/create a myth for the uninformed (trying to pretend they are informed) that these miscues or mistakes are singular to that player. Hold them to an impossible standard. This could range from not scoring (by whiffing, missing the net, or the goalie making the save without heroics) on every shot that player takes to pretending that something as common as a 31 year-old forward who's lost a step not being signed by anyone is unique.

Ignore the fact that if these standards had any sort of validity (since many players take shots) hockey games would have basketball scores and the average age of an NHL forward wouldn't be 27 years old (the youngest of any position).

I don't know what to call those kind of glasses, where the good is seen as bad and the common mistake turned hyperbolic…maybe "He Stole My Girlfriend Goggles", or something. Now, when the branding irons come out for a player I just think of as trying to "LaRose" him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad