Speculation: My Dude. It's early.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Statement game from Marner?

- Nobody knows where he got the first assist on Knies goal.

- 2 assists from the blueline.
- One assist 4v4
- One assist goalie pulled and 56 million dollar line on.

Can this guy produce 5v5 on a regular line?
Looks like hes doubling down on playing the perimeter..playoffs will be no difference for this guy.

Get a job

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nothing wrong with cheering for the Leafs. It may be hard to believe but we all are. I just don’t like seeing posts telling other fans how they should react.
"It's early" is different from "Don't get upset."

People can do whatever they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
These games mean literally nothing. So many examples of cup winners having rough starts to season from the first 10 games to nearly the first half with the Blues. What matters is how they are playing in April
We've seen how much April matters for this group in all of its 8 year glory. But hey, maybe this year is different.
jt.gif

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The standings don’t have me one bit worried. In fact I think we’re in a better position than we deserve to be in.

To me it’s the way the team is playing and the consistency. I don’t doubt the ability of this team as we saw it in Tampa as well as NJ and Pittsburgh. I really questions this teams drive and their ability to adapt to play the way you need to consistently. They have it in them, they just keep resorting to their comfort zone. The emotion is also lacking. They rarely look bothered by shitty performances.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
They should have fired Keefe during the season to ride the new coach bump + to not give Berube time to f*** everything up.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Statement game from Marner?

- Nobody knows where he got the first assist on Knies goal.

- 2 assists from the blueline.
- One assist 4v4
- One assist goalie pulled and 56 million dollar line on.

Can this guy produce 5v5 on a regular line?
Looks like hes doubling down on playing the perimeter..playoffs will be no difference for this guy.

Ah yes I hate when one of the teams best players gets assists (I hate goals too).

Can’t wait to hate on Marners 100 pt season

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The Leafs have only played 9 games. 4-4-1 is not terrible.

Berube is still figuring out this team. There's still tinkering going on. Certain players haven't even played yet. The Bottom 6 Defense has not been decided on. Woll is in no way 100%. He only played 3 periods of hockey in preseason.

Many media analysts felt that TOR would take some time with a new coach/new system.

There's a lot of hockey left. TORONTO has to finish strong.

Just be cool.

Judge who they are at game 20 and not game 9.
The bottom 6 and goaltending hasn't been the problem so far this season. The problem is still the core players. At this point this is what they are. They take too many games off, play the way they want to play. It works in the regular season up til now due to Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit not being good. Those teams look much better so far this season. With many teams at .500 there isn't as many easy games like in years past.

These guys better figure it out quickly or the 18 wheeler will come quickly

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
They should have fired Keefe during the season to ride the new coach bump + to not give Berube time to f*** everything up.
I think the problem is they really honestly don't care that much, they lack pride in themselves and the team. That's why they lose to zamboni drivers, that's why they lose to the isles, that's why they kept getting pumped in the playoffs. They just don't care that much.

These 3 games illustrated how rotten the core is as a whole.

Columbus has one of the worst rosters in post lockout history and they manage to lose 6-2. Ok the excuses flood in "1 game" aka the nonsense we heard when they lost to a middle aged non athlete, whatever. The next game is a massive opportunity to put the hurt on a mediocre team that is your coach's former team, they get pumped. "B-but it's only 2 games." They have TWO leads vs the team that eliminated them in the playoffs that they blow and then their captain manages to completely flub it in OT.

New coach/new D/new lines/new captain made zero difference because the core itself sucks, they're just so talented that them sucking is a bit different than a team with no talent sucking.

That is why players like Matthews/Marner experience such a massive dropoff in the playoffs, it just doesn't matter that much to them and when people elevate their compete/effort level, theirs stays the same or drops off.

Reactions: stealth1

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
The core of players aren't early. They shouldn't be still learning lessons at this stage in their career or at their salary

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
When I see Nylander dangle at the blueline with no one behind him while a game is still within reach, lose the puck and have the other team score, then have him do the exact same thing in the next game with the same result after taking a completely unnecessary 4-minute high sticking penalty that resulted in another goal against, and Berube's response is not to sit him to teach him a lesson, but instead reward him by sending him out with Mitch & Auston just minutes later.

I've seen all I need to see.

I'm convinced at this point during his interview for the Leafs' coaching job Treliving suggested Berube be introduced to his new bosses. And seconds later AM, Marner and Willie walked into the room.

"Tough" guy Berube has been neutered by this organization. Just like Babcock and Keefe before him and he'll get the same result out of these guys as they did. Early playoff exits until this core is gone.

Like OP said, there is still a lot of time but the warning signs are all there. This is the same group and they'll never change.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When I see Nylander dangle at the blueline with no one behind him while a game is still within reach, lose the puck and have the other team score, then have him do the exact same thing in the next game with the same result after taking a completely unnecessary 4-minute high sticking penalty that resulted in another goal against, and Berube's response is not to sit him to teach him a lesson, but instead reward him by sending him out with Mitch & Auston just minutes later.

I'm convinced at this point during his interview for the Leafs' coaching job Treliving suggested Berube be introduced to his new bosses. And seconds later AM, Marner and Willie walked into the room.

"Tough" guy Berube has been neutered by this organization. Just like Babcock and Keefe before him and he'll get the same result out of these guys as they did. Early playoff exits until this core is gone.

Like OP said, there is still a lot of time but the warning signs are all there. This is the same group and they'll never change.
Nylander hasn't been very good but no coach is going to bench any of his best players 10 games into his tenure, it doesn't happen.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Nylander hasn't been very good but no coach is going to bench any of his best players 10 games into his tenure, it doesn't happen.

I'm not sure I agree with that. My experience has been that coaches are more likely to pull that move early in their tenure, to prove themselves and show the players who's boss.

Either way, Berube has been fine by me so far, and I think he'll get a handle on things. Just because he hasn't benched someone doesn't mean he's not doing anything.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The bottom 6 and goaltending hasn't been the problem so far this season. The problem is still the core players. At this point this is what they are. They take too many games off, play the way they want to play. It works in the regular season up til now due to Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit not being good. Those teams look much better so far this season. With many teams at .500 there isn't as many easy games like in years past.

These guys better figure it out quickly or the 18 wheeler will come quickly

The bottom 6 has sucked, a lot.

The problem has been everything but goaltending.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure I agree with that. My experience has been that coaches are more likely to pull that move early in their tenure, to prove themselves and show the players who's boss.

Either way, Berube has been fine by me so far, and I think he'll get a handle on things. Just because he hasn't benched someone doesn't mean he's not doing anything.
Any examples?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Marner does that move 10 times a game, almost cost them a goal last game but people only remember the ones that end up in our net. But we all know Marner and Matthews are a couple

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Any examples?

Tough thing to recall, as it's not really a stat that can be tracked.

But Tortorella benched Ryan Johanssen in his first game as the Jackets HC, and then did it again like a month later. Here's a link.

He also did the same thing in his first few games with Philly in 2022. He benched both Koneckny and Kevin Hayes in the same game. Here's a link.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Tough thing to recall, as it's not really a stat that can be tracked.

But Tortorella benched Ryan Johanssen in his first game as the Jackets HC, and then did it again like a month later. Here's a link.

He also did the same thing in his first few games with Philly in 2022. He benched both Koneckny and Kevin Hayes in the same game. Here's a link.
In game benchings are a little easier to take than being scratched. I think we'll start to see that a little more.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad