Speculation: My Dude. It's early.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Leafs have only played 9 games. 4-4-1 is not terrible.

Berube is still figuring out this team. There's still tinkering going on. Certain players haven't even played yet. The Bottom 6 Defense has not been decided on. Woll is in no way 100%. He only played 3 periods of hockey in preseason.

Many media analysts felt that TOR would take some time with a new coach/new system.

There's a lot of hockey left. TORONTO has to finish strong.

Just be cool.

Judge who they are at game 20 and not game 9.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
a new coach usually takes at least 30 games to have the guys fully understand his system in my view .... we will have a much better idea come closer to the holidays ...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I felt a slowish start was going to happen. And like I say every year, it's freaking October relax, people won't even remember these games in March. We're in the hunt, I like this team on paper, I think the style he wants is winning hockey, particularly in our division.

The over the top takes here aren't reality, chill imo.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It is early but 10% of the season gone already, have to be at least 41 and 32 the rest of the way. So we do have to be better

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Nobody is freaking out cause it's game 9, people are freaking out cause it's 7/8 years of the core being a disappointment. Hayes called it a long time ago:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It's 9 years of this, I mean shouldn't they get SOME kind of a bump at some point:

New coaches
New GMs
New captains
New forwards
New D
New goalies
New contracts
New systems

None of it has any effect because the core itself is rotten. I know people hold out hope because of the Caps, but they finished:

4th/1st/2nd/15th/9th/17th/10th/1st/1st/7th (year they won the cup), unlike the Leafs who NEVER dominated the league in 9 years

And they also got rid of Semin/Green/Varlamov which was their previous core.

These dudes just don't have it, I'm not even sure if Matthews could lead a team. I have no doubt all of them would be excellent complimentary pieces (outside of Tavares who is a 3rd/4th liner now), but they just don't have the psychological makeup (Matthews/Marner) or the talent (Nylander/Rielly) to be THE guy and all of them are just not THAT good (outside of Matthews).

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad