My argument for trading Marner

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'd like to start by saying Marner had an AMAZING regular season and he was a lot of fun to watch. I also think this was the first year where Marner played up to his contract. With that said starting at gm4-7 Marner got a whopping 2pts and was a -3 and has never been a standout in any playoff series since joining the Leafs

Why Marner over Nylander? Nylander should land us a decent player but trading Nylander doesn't move the needle, like at all

As it stands right now, as far as I am concerned, Toronto needs a #1 Goalie, a RHD to play with Rielly and bottom 6 depth. Trading Marner, with the package that we get + the cap room it frees up Toronto would be able to address every single one of those weaknesses

Yes our top6 will not be as good and yes when you trade Marner you won't "win" that trade as Marner will be the best player in the package. But you don't make trades to win the trade you make trades to make the team, as a whole, better and I firmly believe Toronto would be better, overall, if Dubas trades Marner

Flame me all you want!

With all due respect you could trade Matthews for the same reasons. Matthews is a great player, but flamed out near the end of the TOR-TBL series.

The truth is Marner is more valuable than the negative picture you paint.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021

Flame me all you want!
I have been thinking the same thing,cap space to balance the team would be a great asset .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With all due respect you could trade Matthews for the same reasons. Matthews is a great player, but flamed out near the end of the TOR-TBL series.

The truth is Marner is more valuable than the negative picture you paint.

Matthews is a 60+ goal scorer while Marner is 30+. Both are regular season studs. Matthews returns more though so unless somebody .throws a basketball trade at you for Matty, Marner goes first unless you can find a way to move JT.

IMO a team can succeed with one 11+m star but not 3 in a flat cap world. Perhaps if those three were Mattyx2 and McDavid but not our 3. It has been proven 4 years in a row.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It always depends on the return.
I agree it would have to be massive, but the answer cannot be empirically no

Yes it can especially when the biggest need and really the only TRUE need is goaltending.

You DO NOT trade Marner for goaltending

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No. Trading Marner does not make us a better team. Also, your claim that he's never been a standout in any playoff series is wrong.

Matthews and Marner are untouchable. Trading them for anything remotely realistic would be counterproductive, and just open up a way bigger hole than the ones you're attempting to fill.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Any player on TOR who makes 6.9 million plus can be traded to create more balance on the team.

I think we are too deep into the Shanahan Dubas plan to do something so practical and old fashioned.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It always depends on the return.
I agree it would have to be massive, but the answer cannot be empirically no

I can't see a team sending us something that would make us better but if Dallas calls and offers us Heiskanen, I am saying yes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Also, we were the 2nd best offensive team and the 3rd best defensive team this year. We were balanced.

The only place we're not balanced is goaltending, but goaltending is not a position you solve by throwing money at it or trading a Marner-caliber player.

Reactions: kb

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Just my opinion from a Habs fan, but if you break up the M&M boys the chances of Matthews moving on increase. The two seem to coexist well and seem to be fairly good friends. Even as a Habs fan I do enjoy watching them play together even when it is against Montreal!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can't see a team sending us something that would make us better but if Dallas calls and offers us Heiskanen, I am saying yes.
I agree that it is very unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
It might be all just fantasy, but it's summer

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Yes it can especially when the biggest need and really the only TRUE need is goaltending.

You DO NOT trade Marner for goaltending

I never said you should, I said by trading Marner and the cap flexibility you will be able to address the #1 goalie, top RHD and bottom6 depth. If it makes you feel better the return for Marner will be a RHD for Marner, a bottom 6 player and picks

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Someone lock this damn thread please
1656943311475.png

Would have been quicker to just click the button.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Just my opinion from a Habs fan, but if you break up the M&M boys the chances of Matthews moving on increase. The two seem to coexist well and seem to be fairly good friends. Even as a Habs fan I do enjoy watching them play together even when it is against Montreal!

You think Matthews will want to stay on a team that can't make it out of the first round? Frankly speaking I'm of the impression he is gone when his contract is up

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
You think Matthews will want to stay on a team that can't make it out of the first round? Frankly speaking I'm of the impression he is gone when his contract is up
Really hope that doesn’t happen but you’re probably right! Find your goalie and get a defenseman that wants to clobber and not get hurt!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad