OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Is his stuff copyright restricted on youtube? Looked it up and all I found was him talking. Not actual tracks. Don't know any of his discog so was not sure what to find or how. He seems to be a big Sabbath fan. Opeth are interesting but never really went into their brand.

Yeah, Opeth is basically his brand. He has a lot of videos on social media discussion some of the more obscure proggy stuff that he likes. A small list is Porcupine Tree, Camel, Mirage, Cornus, DP, Yes, Jethro Tull (who is featured on their upcoming album), ABBA. Along with a lot of Metal bands that have inspired his work. The guy is practically a music encyclopedia.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah, Opeth is basically his brand. He has a lot of videos on social media discussion some of the more obscure proggy stuff that he likes. A small list is Porcupine Tree, Camel, Mirage, Cornus, DP, Yes, Jethro Tull (who is featured on their upcoming album), ABBA. Along with a lot of Metal bands that have inspired his work. The guy is practically a music encyclopedia.
I'm a Camel fan from way back. Mirage I'm familiar with and of course Tull and Yes.

Starcastle is another interesting listen.

I was into King Crimson, ELP, Yes etc starting as a kid so definitely up my alley. Got into a lot of the early prog stuff.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm a Camel fan from way back. Mirage I'm familiar with and of course Tull and Yes.

Starcastle is another interesting listen.

I was into King Crimson, ELP, Yes etc starting as a kid so definitely up my alley. Got into a lot of the early prog stuff.

You should really dig into some Opeth stuff then. Although some of the earlier growly stuff is more difficult to attune your ears to, you might be surprised how many musical references you catch in their stuff. Their last album In Cauda Venenum might be a good place to start if you're opposed to the harsh vocal style. The entire album is clean singing and very proggy. I'll suggest the Swedish version of the album instead of the English version. It might surprise you.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You should really dig into some Opeth stuff then. Although some of the earlier growly stuff is more difficult to attune your ears to, you might be surprised how many musical references you catch in their stuff. Their last album In Cauda Venenum might be a good place to start if you're opposed to the harsh vocal style. The entire album is clean singing and very proggy. I'll suggest the Swedish version of the album instead of the English version. It might surprise you.
I'll give it a listen. A lof of fans have said based on my listening choices that Tool and bands like Opeth would be stuff I could get into. I've listened to some of Tool. That said I loved the stuff I did when I loved the complexity of musical pieces by acts like ELP. Given the times were in today I've had to kind of adopt my ear to much more simple music, unfortunately, if that makes any sense.

Also its hard to get into some of these if you've been around for the Legends prog if that makes any sense. Not to diminish any that has come later but its harder for subsequent acts to be as innovative. Simply because prog has been done.

Years ago a band like Triumvirat blazed some trails and revisited prog. It was already a revisitation back then, and they did some interesting things adding to the form but its just so long ago.

These taken from the brilliant work "Spartacus"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This stuff is right in the same wheelhouse that Akerfeldt is into @Drivesaitl
Good taste! ;)

To clarify if I had been younger and discovering newer prog acts of the time I'd have been more familiar with his work. Seems to know his music well as well as being very accomplished. Nice to see some artists that carried the art along. Especially in this day and age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorian2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad