OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was at the venue when they performed as part of the Montreal Jazz Festival in 1991.

Still one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen.

Jan Hammer, Tony Williams, Jordan Rudess and Fernando Saunders.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was at the venue when they performed as part of the Montreal Jazz Festival in 1991.

I went to a show of Yan Hammer around 1980, such a great show I was lucky to see, wow he and his musicians they were so good, fast, tight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

I'm a big fan of his work with the mahavishnu orchestra. Amazing old school jazz fusion, I really wish I could have seen them live in their prime.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had the misfortune of surfing YouTube and landing on Badfinger. What a sad outcome this band experienced, with two of their members committing suicide on account of money issues caused by con men they had business dealings with. One of these was their manager who ultimately was murdered.

A third band member died relatively young at age 56.

I had known of their tragedy but somehow had let it slip from my mind. The music industry has had more than its share of unscrupulous types who have ruined the lives of several talents, but I can’t recall anything as dire happening to any other band.

How sad, they were so promising. Lots of fans discovered them thanks to this old hit song that was featured on Breaking Bad:

Barilko

You are what you is
Jan 30, 2016
I had the misfortune of surfing YouTube and landing on Badfinger. What a sad outcome this band experienced, with two of their members committing suicide on account of money issues caused by con men they had business dealings with. One of these was their manager who ultimately was murdered.

I had known of their tragedy but somehow had let it slip from my mind. The music industry has had more than its share of unscrupulous types who have ruined the lives of several talents, but I can’t recall anything as dire happening to any other band.

How sad, they were so promising. Lots of fans discovered them thanks to this old hit song that was featured on Breaking Bad:

that tune produced by Rundgren
Harrison produced another hit as did Sir Paul...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Late July on Parc Ave.. It will be a good one

This cut is very similar to the music of a band called Tinariwen that I first saw on Last Call with Carson Daly many years ago. Their claim to fame was how the band was made up of warriors who had traded in their weapons for musical instruments.

Is the band in your clip an offshoot of Tinariwen?

At the Fairmount Theatre on Wed. July 26th: MDOU MOCTAR | Blue Skies Turn Black

Tempting.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Barilko

You are what you is
Jan 30, 2016
This cut is very similar to the music of a band called Tinariwen that I first saw on Last Call with Carson Daly many years ago. Their claim to fame was how the band was made up of warriors who had traded in their weapons for musical instruments.

Is the band in your clip an offshoot of Tinariwen?

At the Fairmount Theatre on Wed. July 26th: MDOU MOCTAR | Blue Skies Turn Black

Tempting.
i already have my tix

no they are a separate (now a) band from almost the same area of the world (Nigeria)

though he does do a Tinariwen cover

I first saw Tinariwen on Jools Holland show out of the UK love what i heard

they once played the stage of Amoeba records in Hollywood (cripes so did McCartney imagine shopping for records and Paul jumps on the store stage incredible !

he started solo made a guitar from bicycle brake cables i think..(crazy) only on his 4th or 5th album did he have a band

and now its Psychedelic bliss im so looking forward to the show.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Good shows,had a blast! even with plugs the ears are still ringing!

They opened up,still sound great! The band before them,BBR did covers of metal,some good some too deathy style. lol.

Reactions: angusyoung

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
MKariska Veres. Born in Neederland. I was just discovering her last week. She was a singer with a strong tone and able to keep a good beat. She was great at that time.
Their biggest international hit and years later Bananarama covered it and destroyed it,what a disgrace.
Seeing the original,might have to pull out the pipe!!! lol

10cc did that hit?? I couldn't beleive that !!. It's strange their hits doesn't sound like from the same band.
10cc are versatile in styles.
And this one is different yet again

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Can't believe I've neglected this thread for so long, can't wait to go backwards here and sink my ears into some of these morsels. Looks like I'll be awhile.

Now I know this thread is about music and not about our beloved habs, but I find It can be tricky being overtly positive on these forums. So I'm hoping to find a little sanctuary here, if only just to say that I can't help but feel buoyed by where were headed wIth this new managment team. The position of our ever growing prospect list and having the 5th pick in this years excellent draft. It feels like forever that we could actually honestly see better days ahead. Excited for the offseason to see what happens next!

So in order to stay within the context of this thread... I'll let the late great Richie Havens convey this feeling for me.

Go Habs!! :)

Last edited:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
We were introduced to a gent that he claimed is a friend of Billy Connolly,don't know if anyone here knows him,anyways,could have even been him,sounded like him,looked like him coming from a cave.lol. Didn't know this but he was in a band with Gerry Rafferty called '' Humblebums '' before Rafferty went solo.

Sounds like a fine tune.

And Rafferty's biggest hit?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Their biggest international hit and years later Bananarama covered it and destroyed it,what a disgrace.
Seeing the original,might have to pull out the pipe!!! lol

And this one is different yet again

That's another good one from them. That song is what ressemble the most to a Beatles song by a non beatle group.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

This band is victim of the dismantle of the beatles. They were managed by apple record and when the beatles layers went accusing the other part, the whole apple music went on switch off. A group such as badfinger had to find quicky a new manager and they got scr*wd up by this one. He sold for peanuts the hit I can't live without you that made no1 hit for 6 weeks to Harry Nilsson. The two suicides are related to that. And it was in the appartment of Nilsson downton london, that both Cass Elliott and Keith Moon died, 4 years of difference.
A link to the curse of Harry Nilsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad