OT: Music discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
A music thread and the topic is dominated by Linkin Park? They should driving the bus with Rob and Luc on it straight into the sun as far as I'm concerned. Nu Metal was the official death knell of any relevancy rock had left in the late 90's. At least in the mainstream.

I'm still stuck in the 80's/90's with punk, hardcore, post hardcore, metal, indie rock and anything adjacent (except ska). I've recently started collecting records again. Just got a big stack the other day from a friend. One of which was a 7" from 1134 and if I'm not mistaken one of the mods on here at some point was in or associated with that band back in the 90's. Anyone remember? If it's you speak up!

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

So I guess this is the new Linkin Park song with Emily that the OP was originally asking about?

When I was a kid my parents told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So that tells you what I think about it.

I got 1:15 into it before I had to tap out.

I mean this is my first time listening to it. It’s labeled Linkin Park but it’s not LP. They should’ve just rebranded. Just my opinion.

A music thread and the topic is dominated by Linkin Park? They should driving the bus with Rob and Luc on it straight into the sun as far as I'm concerned. Nu Metal was the official death knell of any relevancy rock had left in the late 90's. At least in the mainstream.

I'm still stuck in the 80's/90's with punk, hardcore, post hardcore, metal, indie rock and anything adjacent (except ska). I've recently started collecting records again. Just got a big stack the other day from a friend. One of which was a 7" from 1134 and if I'm not mistaken one of the mods on here at some point was in or associated with that band back in the 90's. Anyone remember? If it's you speak up!
Going to see Maiden again next month. Might be the last time I see them.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Eh, it was amuwing at first. Eventually that stuff gets old to me.

You can only call someone an asshole so many times before the best choice is to block them. Like these forums!
This is true, but also this latest track (Watch the Party Die) from yesterday feels like him going after the whole mainstream industry so it's got my attention again. Plus it's another good track from a super talented lyricist if rap is your thing.

Reactions: King'sPawn
It was a Linkin Park thread.

The mods just changed it to a general music thread because people started talking about other bands.

Ok, that makes more sense then. I don't like to be a hater but Linkin Park is not my cup of tea. I was honestly surprised they had as much longevity as they did. I just associated with being "bro music".

Going to see Maiden again next month. Might be the last time I see them.

Nice.. I haven't seen an older band play like that in years. Crazy they are still going!

I went the Primus/Perfect Circle/Puscifer show at the Hollywood Bowl back in April. That was pretty cool. They had all three bands backline up during the show and they all took turns performing and collaborating.

Reactions: The Butcher

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I always liked A Perfect Circle's first album. Saw them live back in the day when they were touring on it. Back when Paz Lenchantin was still in the band.

Puscifer is hit or miss for me.

I find Primus's music bizarrely terrifying. Nightmare fuel.

I always liked A Perfect Circle's first album. Saw them live back in the day when they were touring on it. Back when Paz Lenchantin was still in the band.

Puscifer is hit or miss for me.

Yeah not really into Puscifer and Tool is ok but I've never gone down the rabbit hole with their music. I love A Perfect Circle's first two albums quite a bit. I saw them the first time in 2017 at the Hollywood Bowl and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I had the luxury of sitting in the boxes a few feet from the stage. The sound might have been the best sound I've ever heard at a show as well. It was beyond loud and perfectly clear. I didn't mind the permanent damage it was doing to my hearing. It was well worth it! It's crazy how a live performance can really change your perspective of a song or an artist.

I never saw A Perfect Circle when they first came out because I never went to arena shows or shows in very large venues back then. If the show was over $25 it was too expensive. I would love to go back and see them in that era. I found out a few years ago that Josh Freese is my neighbor. Like a block away.. pretty cool.

Speaking of older rock acts, I saw Alice in Chains with the new singer around that same time at the Wiltern. They crushed it too and it's eerie how similar his voice is to Staley's. It's obviously different but he's a great fill in IMO.

Reactions: The Butcher

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
Here’s one for the metal heads, Cannibal Corpse or Pig Destroyer. I honestly always leant more towards Pig Destroyer but I saw Cannibal Corpse live recently and they were f***ing awesome.
I saw Cannibal Corpse open for the Misfits when they did that crappy reunion in the 90s. I had a couple of their tapes that someone had given me and wasnt really a fan but damn were they pretty amazing live. The neck muscles on the singer looked like something out of a cartoon

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I saw Cannibal Corpse open for the Misfits when they did that crappy reunion in the 90s. I had a couple of their tapes that someone had given me and wasnt really a fan but damn were they pretty amazing live. The neck muscles on the singer looked like something out of a cartoon
Seriously. I’ve heard plenty of their songs and was like yeah ok grindcore, not my thing really. But seeing them live was eye opening for sure.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Linken Park tickets went on sale at 10am. At 10:30 there were 500 tickets left and we were 79000th odd in the queue. Damn bots.its about time they did something about it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am on the other side of this one.
Primus is one of the most orginal bands of the last 50 years. Sure some of the their songs are over the top on the weirdness, but I also have done a plethora of hallucinogens in my life

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I am on the other side of this one.
Primus is one of the most orginal bands of the last 5 years. Sure some of the their songs are over the top on the weirdness, but I also have done a plethora of hallucinogens in my life
It wasn't a criticism.

If someone describes your music as odd, bizarre, weird or terrifying that's a compliment.

Some bands just trigger things in certain people. My buddy can't listen to Around The Fur because it gives him acid flashbacks.

If your second sentence was a joke, it worked. I'm guessing it was a typo.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It wasn't a criticism.

If someone describes your music as odd, bizarre, weird or terrifying that's a compliment.

Some bands just trigger things in certain people. My buddy can't listen to Around The Fur because it gives him acid flashbacks.

If your second sentence was a joke, it worked. I'm guessing it was a typo.
Whoops. Typo

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
That’s my feelings on it as well. Wish they would have just went with a new name. Retired the LP Jersey and moved forward.

I know what you mean but the name of the band has more value than the sum of its current members. Same thing as how the Kings get new players and trade away players but are still the Kings, even switch owners but are still the Kings.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
My boys, both 7, have been interested in where/how music started lately. Found a cool YouTube video showing how music has progressed. They really like Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Wagner and Liszt.

Hmm, this video has the years 1976-1982 but it completely leaves out the songs of the most important era of modern music of 76-82.

I'm guessing this is just a surface-level video that talks about the "videographer's" favorite tracks of those years amongst those most downloaded.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Kreator was one of the best metal shows I ever went to

They were never my favorite band , but they put on an amazing show
Kreator is STILL great.

Hmm, this video has the years 1976-1982 but it completely leaves out the songs of the most important era of modern music of 76-82.

I'm guessing this is just a surface-level video that talks about the "videographer's" favorite tracks of those years amongst those most downloaded.
I’m sure they just picked their favorites from that time period.

Reactions: Rorschach

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Didn't realize there were so many metal heads here. I guess i shouldn't be surprised given our general demographic.

I've played the drums since I was 8, played in a lot of death metal bands for some pretty legendary stages in my younger years but don't have the dedication to play at that level anymore. Prefer to play reggae or more straightforward rock these these days.

There was a time where I took music very seriously but more of a hobby these days. Even though I hate LP it's cool to see so many of you guys love music.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Didn't realize there were so many metal heads here. I guess i shouldn't be surprised given our general demographic.

I've played the drums since I was 8, played in a lot of death metal bands for some pretty legendary stages in my younger years but don't have the dedication to play at that level anymore. Prefer to play reggae or more straightforward rock these these days.

There was a time where I took music very seriously but more of a hobby these days. Even though I hate LP it's cool to see so many of you guys love music.

Here's an open secret...many of the old time Kings fans are metal heads, especially those around the Gretzky era. Also not surprising at all is LA and CA being the key scene/s for many forms of hard rock/metal, especially from the 80s to 90s, once it left the US went to UK, then came back to the US. LA had the scene and the clubs. For example Metallica started in N Cal, then moved down to So Cal, Megadeth spun off and was made in LA, Slayer is OC.. All of that scene is counter culture to the hair metal that came from the Hollywood scene, etc. Even crossover kings Suicidal Tendencies is from LA (Venice Beach, various skateboarder/surfer scenes like Zephyr/Powell-Peralta.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
A note on Linkin Park, and this is just my personal opinion:

Faith No More, especially Patton's FNM is the "father" of good rap "metal" while Linkin Park is the last good rap "metal" band. But I don't slap the NU Metal label on either of these guys...they're not just turning the 6 string down low, they're not trying to sound like Limp Bizkit...IMHO they are both way better than LB.

To me it's full circle on that movement.

Reactions: tigermask48

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad