OT: Music 6

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of the band Lone Justice; I never had until this popped up on the Top 2000 A GOGO website. I found it an interesting story. A young band in the '80's that had all kinds of industry buzz that they were going to be the next big thing. Before they signed a record deal Dolly Parton was coming to their shows and Bob Dylan was writing a song for them (Go Away Little Boy).

But it never happened. It was a case of over involvement, where everybody was telling them to "be like this, dress like this, look like this, sing like this, write songs like this" instead of just letting them be their own band.
Maria McKee, the lead singer, talks about all of this in these videos (skip the part where she pulls out the guitar and sings...don't do that in interviews, please).

A song she wrote did become a hit for Feargal Sharkey, who previously lead the Irish punk band The Undertones. The song is called "A Good Heart" Maria McKee wrote it when she was 18 and admits is a cutesy naive song about love. You know what, I like it. It's a fun little poppy song.

A few other interesting tidbits taken from WIki:

In 1995, Bette Midler recorded two of McKee's songs—"To Deserve You" and "The Last Time"—for her platinum album, Bette of Roses.

She sang back up on the Counting Crows' 1993 debut August and Everything After on "Sullivan Street" and "Mr. Jones"

Her song "If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags)" was personally selected by Quentin Tarantino for his feature film Pulp Fiction. It is the only original song on the soundtrack.

Pretty interesting career arc for Maria McKee. I love finding out about stories like this.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm choked that I missed the Headstones last night (although my ears are still ringing from seeing them at the Pyramid in the 90s lol)

In Grand Forks with the wife and four teenage girls for Zach Bryan tonight. Should be a great show but I realized that this will be the first time I've seen someone in concert who is themselves so much younger than me. Hopefully there will be some other Boomers there so we don't stand out like narcs too badly lol

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm choked that I missed the Headstones last night (although my ears are still ringing from seeing them at the Pyramid in the 90s lol)

In Grand Forks with the wife and four teenage girls for Zach Bryan tonight. Should be a great show but I realized that this will be the first time I've seen someone in concert who is themselves so much younger than me. Hopefully there will be some other Boomers there so we don't stand out like narcs too badly lol

Hope you had fun ya narc .:laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hope you had fun ya narc .:laugh:

Lots of other Boomers there lol... but I did have to not-so-politely remind a kid about respecting my wife's personal space after he bumped into her 3 times and spilled a beer on her.

Amazing show... Zach Bryan quite the entertainer. That said, Matt Maeson opened for him and blew me away. Just him and his guitar. He's a guy to keep an eye on

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of the band Lone Justice; I never had until this popped up on the Top 2000 A GOGO website. I found it an interesting story. A young band in the '80's that had all kinds of industry buzz that they were going to be the next big thing. Before they signed a record deal Dolly Parton was coming to their shows and Bob Dylan was writing a song for them (Go Away Little Boy).

But it never happened. It was a case of over involvement, where everybody was telling them to "be like this, dress like this, look like this, sing like this, write songs like this" instead of just letting them be their own band.
Maria McKee, the lead singer, talks about all of this in these videos (skip the part where she pulls out the guitar and sings...don't do that in interviews, please).

A song she wrote did become a hit for Feargal Sharkey, who previously lead the Irish punk band The Undertones. The song is called "A Good Heart" Maria McKee wrote it when she was 18 and admits is a cutesy naive song about love. You know what, I like it. It's a fun little poppy song.

A few other interesting tidbits taken from WIki:

In 1995, Bette Midler recorded two of McKee's songs—"To Deserve You" and "The Last Time"—for her platinum album, Bette of Roses.

She sang back up on the Counting Crows' 1993 debut August and Everything After on "Sullivan Street" and "Mr. Jones"

Her song "If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags)" was personally selected by Quentin Tarantino for his feature film Pulp Fiction. It is the only original song on the soundtrack.

Pretty interesting career arc for Maria McKee. I love finding out about stories like this.

That's a great stumble Dharma!

That first Lone Justice album still remains one of my fave albums. Still play it often and never skip a track on it...what a set of pipes she had/has. "Cowpunk" was the term often applied to them and their music. Maria was pretty damn cute to boot!

Her first solo album also had several great tracks on it too.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Got home from Wednesday night Mens' League Golf... f'n debacle for me...

Great guys golfing against... awesome guys... thank God...

Needed to chill... to feel good... though... pissed with myself...

I put this on after scrolling through YouTube for a bit, just looking for the right "chill"...

My daughter just short of pre- COVID bought Me the most awesome birthday gift... tickets to see these guys...

F' Covid... !!! 2 wasted years... and...

They are retired... never will see live... gold for Me tonight though... made me happy...

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
One last one for me.. gotta go get some sleep...

Further towards feeling good and "chill"... I offer this...

This is one of my favorite live performances on video... David Bowie "Heroes" would be one...

"Jail Break" from AC DC Live at Donington... powerful and fun... would be another...

There's more... but this is one I love because of the peaceful, powerful, poised, good spirited, focused and soulful performance of all involved is spectacular... vocally... production... individual performance, instrument or voice... and just feel good sympatico movement...

Just so cool... so "chill"...

Good night all on HF Jets... "chill"...

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Got home from Wednesday night Mens' League Golf... f'n debacle for me...

Great guys golfing against... awesome guys... thank God...

Needed to chill... to feel good... though... pissed with myself...

I put this on after scrolling through YouTube for a bit, just looking for the right "chill"...

My daughter just short of pre- COVID bought Me the most awesome birthday gift... tickets to see these guys...

F' Covid... !!! 2 wasted years... and...

They are retired... never will see live... gold for Me tonight though... made me happy...

I totally understand.:laugh: Golf is hard, Tuesday i shot 91 , yesterday 82 . :laugh:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm like you @John Agar i love great live

I'm like you @John Agar i love great live stuff.

My best friends from High School and University days... Friday and Saturday nights all winter hit the Winnipeg live band scene... which was fantastic...

Absolutely love live acts... live crowds live environments...

I'm glad you noticed... I do prefer to post live versions of bands previous studio versions...

The best bands of all genre's progress, get better and evolve to a much higher level... and live in action is truly inspirational...

I'll give another band as an example that has matured and become absolutely brilliant in their live studio and not acts... Radiohead... I liked their albums... their mature, many years later live studio stuff is brilliant and polished bright like the sun... so incredibly much better...

Examples - Album Original Version vs Live:

versus...

The album version is over produced and much less soulfull... the Live Studio Version shows their progressions as masters of their art and mature... plus the obvious emotion visuals and musicianship... and you can tell they are just loving the moment... real passion...

Another example original Album Version vs not studio really and live:

versus...

The album version over produced again... muddled elongated... experimental... Live, outdoor collaboration with just 2 of the band... Thom and Johnny... as a YouTube comment beneath the video says " This is gorgeous, magical...transcendental.".... couldn't explain it better...

Lets take another genre... Interpol...

Album:

Live:

The Live is a simple yet atmospheric, powerful dirivitive of the orginal... "the cigarette smoking guitar" just by itself sets the live stage act experience apart from the sterile Album version...

I could go on... but thanks @Jets 31 ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad