OT: Music 6

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Music fans...take 2.5 hours of your day to watch this...if you have HBO that is. Easily one of the best biopics I've ever watched, though I am a bit biased as I am a bit of a Springsteen fanboy

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Music fans...take 2.5 hours of your day to watch this...if you have HBO that is. Easily one of the best biopics I've ever watched, though I am a bit biased as I am a bit of a Springsteen fanboy

Since there's an issue with the attachment, I'm assuming you're referring to Steven Van Zandt. Yes, I'm planning to watch it along with the one about Stax Records.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Next time I get on a plane I expect this tune to be on.

I have heard a couple of their tunes but i would say i don't really listen to them. I have a question for all you music people, have you ever flown on this airline? :naughty::laugh:

RFOwMU.gif

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Anybody else see this guy at Hagars back in the day?

Hagars and The Zoo (Montcalm, Club Soda). Spent a ton of time at the Zoo back in the day.

Frank Soda and the Imps was one of those bands we saw a lot of (Chocolate Bunnies from Hell anyone?).

When we went to the Zoo we always went to the front if we could get it. Away from the scary bikers, better odds of interacting with the band. We saw Frank on a Friday night one long weekend, circa maybe 1984 at the Zoo. Spent some time between sets drinking with him. Turns out he's playing at the real Zoo, or Assiniboine Park, the next day for Canada Day in the afternoon.

We load up the panel van (not quite a 'candy' type van, but grey and otherwise close) and proceed to the park with way too much beer in the van. We're literally sitting in the parking lot outside the actual zoo, drinking in the van when there's a tap, tap, tap at the door. Park police. Somebody has to take the open liquor charge and a buddy volunteers (we all contributed to the fine). We lose all our beer (yes, we are idiots).

Get back from the cop shop in time for the show and up against the snow fence waiting for the show. Frank comes over, recognizes us from the night before, pushes the fence down, lets us in and we drink the backstage beer and watch the show from behind the fence, best seats in the house easily.

Good times. Stoopid kids.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Also Kick Axe.

Saw these guys five nights in a row at the Rock Exchange (which was more often the Stock Exchange) at the foot of the Arlington bridge. Owned by the Bassett brothers, of Glenlawn fame, who I played basketball with. Complete dive bar. We spent more than a few hours drinking with the boys from Kick Axe, given our preferred positioning at the front of the bar. We bought them shooters, they bought us shooters, it got stupid. Much fun was had, hangovers lasted a whopping six hours or so. The joys of youth.

Goddo also fit into this pattern. I'm sure none of the bands would remember any of us but we had a lot of fun with them, good conversations and they were good people. I talked to Greg Goddo at the last show they played at the Zoo shortly before it shut down. He didn't remember me at all but he was still a great guy to talk to.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Barney Bentall and the Legendary Hearts anyone?

Way more of a BC band for sure. Played a couple of times in Winnipeg but not nearly as much as many other bands. My impression was they played "Central Canada" a lot more and stayed home a ton. Bentall is still huge in BC.

Saw them at the Lamplighter and at "Dick's on Dick's" when they had live bands on occasion in Vancouver.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Another one of my first concerts was these guys, now i don't know how many people remember the old Winnipeg Arena but the north end was super steep and very high . My buddy and i were right at the top and the dude next to us opened up his pack of smokes , yes back then you could smoke in the arena:laugh:but it wasn't cigarettes it was joints, the whole pack.:laugh:Well needless to say i was super high and i swear to god it took me 45 minutes to get down the stairs .:laugh:

Reactions: spiny norman

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Hagars and The Zoo (Montcalm, Club Soda). Spent a ton of time at the Zoo back in the day.

Frank Soda and the Imps was one of those bands we saw a lot of (Chocolate Bunnies from Hell anyone?).

When we went to the Zoo we always went to the front if we could get it. Away from the scary bikers, better odds of interacting with the band. We saw Frank on a Friday night one long weekend, circa maybe 1984 at the Zoo. Spent some time between sets drinking with him. Turns out he's playing at the real Zoo, or Assiniboine Park, the next day for Canada Day in the afternoon.

We load up the panel van (not quite a 'candy' type van, but grey and otherwise close) and proceed to the park with way too much beer in the van. We're literally sitting in the parking lot outside the actual zoo, drinking in the van when there's a tap, tap, tap at the door. Park police. Somebody has to take the open liquor charge and a buddy volunteers (we all contributed to the fine). We lose all our beer (yes, we are idiots).

Get back from the cop shop in time for the show and up against the snow fence waiting for the show. Frank comes over, recognizes us from the night before, pushes the fence down, lets us in and we drink the backstage beer and watch the show from behind the fence, best seats in the house easily.

Good times. Stoopid kids.
Yup Hagar's, the Zoo, Black Knight and Curtis, lots of touring hard rock metal bands playing every weekend at atleast 1 location. But for me one of the best nights was going to Wellingtons to see a up and coming band called Slayer, no more than 50 people in that dingy basement and loud AF. It was also our first interaction with bible thumpers who warned us about the evils of a band they probably had never heard of.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad