Muay Thai Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
My recommendation is to not even bother trying to focus on combos yet. Focus primarily on breathing at this point. Cant speak for you, but when I was a total noob, Id still hold my breath and throw punches. I had to make a conscious effort to breathe properly.

If you aren't breathing properly, everything else you do is irrelevant. Because you can go into a fight with the best form and skill in the world, but without breathing, you'll gas within a minute and will probably get your ass kicked.

Then I'd also focus on simply maintaining distance. Using teeps, leg/body kicks, and jabs/crosses. Keep them at muay thai range (just outside of punching range, but where you can kick them), and hold that distance. Teeps are super important and should be a focal point here. You want them leaning in if they wanna land something. As they'll be off balance and open to big shots.

Then work off the leg kick. While you're holding your distance, keeping them at bay, and holding your range, you will land some leg kicks. Follow up your leg kicks with a 1-2. Then turn your distance controlling jabs into a 1-2. Then follow up your 1-2 with a leg kick. Etc.

That's really the base of muay thai. Once you have that down, slowly add in strikes to your arsenal. Elbows, knees, higher kicks, uppercuts and hooks. Then once you have the tools, then that's when you learn to start throwing them at the right time, learn to duck/move and counter, set up your power shots with smaller strikes, etc.

It's a process, and you're doing yourself a disservice trying to do it all in at once. You climb a flight of stairs one step at a time, do the same with thai.

Shouldn't take you more than 5 or 6 months to be at the point where you have the breathing down, can control distance, and have all the tools and are learning to throw proper combos.

Pretty standard fight training advice. Learn to walk before you run. Parts of everything will always be drilling in the muscle memory so you are acting without thinking as opposed to thinking of how to act.

There are a lot of different schools of thought for Thai. I guess it depends on where you intend to take it. Straight Thai or into MMA sparing, and it really branches into almost a different artform. Teeps in MMA I don't see too often and MMA fighters tend to use leg kicks the way a boxer uses a lead jab. In MT, leg kicks are often used as the end of a combo the way hooks are in boxing or MMA.
f059818b7c848778fad80bcc34a4d538.jpg

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Pretty standard fight training advice. Learn to walk before you run. Parts of everything will always be drilling in the muscle memory so you are acting without thinking as opposed to thinking of how to act.G]

Definitely.

I never was professional , yet i was a "gifted" fighter.

My true assets were the training. Repeat a move 1000 or 2 or 3000 times. Several times.
Then, when your eye sees the opportunity, the hit is in. It frees time to think for the brain and you become a smart (or smarter) fighter.

In itself, it is not fun, but makes all much more fun after. And wins will accumulate.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
What I love about the sport is how much "being a nerd" is rewarded. I've spent the last year relentlessly working not only on my overall game but on the finer details as well.

It really is an art. An incredibly effective one at that. When you watch the best in the world go at it, you realize how important it is to not just develop your skills but to do so with style.

I decided a while back that it wasn't enough to simply have a strong roundhouse. I want to kick like Matee Jeedipitak, Kaensak Sor Ploenchit, or even Yodsanklai.

Fine tuning my training to mimic these greats has been amazing. It's especially noticeable when sparring. I'm nowhere near those fighters, and I likely never will be, but I'm much much better than I was.

Be a nerd. It's awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad