Speculation: MTL/WPG McGroarty for Mesar, 2025 1st (FLO/CGY) & Barron (Slovak media)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
According to a Slovak media, Habs offer for McGroarty was leaked:

To MTL:
McGroarty

To WPG:
Filip Mesar
2025 1st (FLO/CGY)
Justin Barron or Jordan Harris

1720792565235.png

Winnipeg apparently refused.

Is this close ? I would have done such a trade from MTL's POV

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs media is saying that the only offer was based on Demidov not being there at 5th and once he was all offers were taken off the table.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Sounds more like a random fan proposal rather than legitimate news. You can also find a story discussing Max Pacioretty reuniting with the Canadiens, which is based on Blain Potvin of The Hockey Writers stating, “some are hoping to see Max Pacioretty return to Montreal as a UFA" and doesn't include the Canadiens showing any interest of bringing him back.

Reactions: c3z4r and Helistin

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
If that is true, WPG is insane for refusing that.
How? none of those pieces come close to being as valuable as McGroarty will be.

Mesar looks really disappointing as a first round pick, Barron/Harris are bottom pairing defenders and the pick is going to be a late first. Quantity, not quality.

McGroarty looks like an impact top-6 guy. None of those pieces come close to that.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Wow I am definitely for the idea of trading for this kid but I hope the price wouldn't be quite that high. tbh I thought a fair package would be Mesar + Barron/Struble + 2nd but bumping that to a 1st just seems too much

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m very leery of Mesar’s transition to the NHL despite some obvious skills. No such concerns with McGroarty who is going to shine in a high level physical game.

I think this would be an absolute no-brainer for Montreal…McGroarty would be the perfect complimentary piece to what they are building up front. Having him oppo of Demidov or Slaf next to Suzuki would potentially create a really, really complete line and lots of options.

For Winnipeg it’s a bunch of stuff…some upside I guess but I certainly wouldn’t love it. But it’s a tough situation. And Chevy could sell the optics of it as “we got two firsts!” (Or even three, if you want to be completely disingenuous and try to sell Barron as a key piece) even if a deeper dive is less appealing than the first glance reaction.

I think any Habs fan who says they wouldn’t do this is absolutely nuts. This is why you collect lots of assets. To get the finishing touch stud pieces.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I’m very leery of Mesar’s transition to the NHL despite some obvious skills. No such concerns with McGroarty who is going to shine in a high level physical game.

I think this would be an absolute no-brainer for Montreal…McGroarty would be the perfect complimentary piece to what they are building up front. Having him oppo of Demidov or Slaf next to Suzuki would potentially create a really, really complete line and lots of options.

For Winnipeg it’s a bunch of stuff…some upside I guess but I certainly wouldn’t love it. But it’s a tough situation. And Chevy could sell the optics of it as “we got two firsts!” (Or even three, if you want to be completely disingenuous and try to sell Barron as a key piece) even if a deeper dive is less appealing than the first glance reaction.

I think any Habs fan who says they wouldn’t do this is absolutely nuts. This is why you collect lots of assets. To get the finishing touch stud pieces.
Yeah I get top AHL scorer but not good enough for full-time NHL vibes from Mesar, would hate getting him as the main piece for Rutger.

If we got Barron/Harris that means we put them or Heinola on waivers in October so that's pretty useless for us as well. The first is a first but I'd rather keep shopping for a different package

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
The Habs media is saying that the only offer was based on Demidov not being there at 5th and once he was all offers were taken off the table.
Which to me is odd because Demidov and McGroaty are such different players.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Can't recycle the old PLD lines this time, we get 47th overall if Rutger stays in college 2 more years.
Not that I disagree with this in principal, because if a team does beat it absolutely go trade with them, but if the offer was that WPG would be wild to not take it no? Like no team is going to spite themselves because of fans being petty on a message board and chevy would absolutely take that over getting the 47th overall.

Barron is a young puckmoving D, likely in the 3-5 mold at his potential, Mesar is not living up to expectations but he's still got an outside shot in a few years as a depth scorer and getting the flames /panthers pick has some wild boom bust potential between getting a pick in the 11-15 range or a 25-30 range pick. It's not some trash offer for a player who hasn't actually played a game in the show yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad