Proposal: MTL/NJD Matheson,Xhekaj,#26 for #10 and a future 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I am going by the belief that NJD feel that #10 is too high to offer for a goalie they have interest in.

They would have interest in WIFI to add some cost controlled grit to their LD.

They can then move #26 and Matheson for a goalie like Markstrom

Or use Matheson to move up from #26 to a slightly better pick to get the goalie they want.

Montreal loses Xhekaj but adds 2 potentially good players drafting #5 and #10 and will better fit their timeline than Matheson, while opening the LD to move Guhle to his natural side, and room for Hutson potentially down the road.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m not sure Montreal is interested in moving Matheson or Xhekaj or even worst both in the same trade.

I would love to get the 10OA as well, but at some point Montreal needs to start building a competitive team and trading away players that can contribute now means they will never ever competitive.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
That's probably fair from a value perspective, but I just have minimal interest in Matheson. Xhekaj could be interesting if he can improve his play, there is upside there.
Matheson is just there to trade, not keep unless NJD get the goalie with #26 alone. In that scenario can move him for futures or to fill another need.

I think Devils say no and Habs would say yes. Looks fair but Devils main concern is goaltending.
They get their goalie

Reactions: harv33173

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I’m not sure Montreal is interested in moving Matheson or Xhekaj or even worst both in the same trade.

I would love to get the 10OA as well, but at some point Montreal needs to start building a competitive team and trading away players that can contribute now means they will never ever competitive.
Until the anchor contracts are gone in 3 years, honestly I don't see them contending for anything. With or without WIFI and Matheson. The two high picks this year hopefully slide in for that 3 year timeframe. Also allows us to see how others do on the PP with Matheson gone, like Guhle.. Not like it could be much worse.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Value is probably fine, but is Matheson really the type of dman the Devils need? It would have to be contingent on flipping him for assets and then using some kind of asset combination to get Markstrom. Seems a bit too complicated.
I can't know which goalie they are interested in, so didn't include it, but could easily be a 3 way deal with everything worked out in advance.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I can't know which goalie they are interested in, so didn't include it, but could easily be a 3 way deal with everything worked out in advance.
Yeah it could be a 3way, and similar trades have happened before, but it could also be a 4 way deal.

1)Habs trade Matheson/Xhekaj/1st for 10th OA
2)Devils trade Matheson to a team with playoff intentions for picks
3)Devils trade picks for a guy like Markstrom.

So that's 4 teams involved.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Horrible.
When it's uncomfortable from both sides, then we know it's a decent proposal.

NJ seems to be better using the pick to grab a goalie, that said not sure that goalie is out there.

As a habs fan I would not do this deal either, but it's pretty close to something that could work for both.....

Reactions: GOilers88

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Value is there. Not sure Hughes wants to trade both Matheson and Xhekaj. Rumour is he already turned away a few gms about Xhekaj. He progressed nicely last year while he has playing injured.

Reactions: Eegs

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
From a value perspective this may make some sense but as noted, it's a lot of moving parts and requires NJ to make other moves to address its roster. I'd also suggest that while WiFi may have significant value to MTL I'm not sure he'd be as valuable to NJ. They signed MacDermid to fight Rempe as needed and WiFi probably doesn't move any of the current left handed defenders in NJ off the roster or even down a spot. Still, this was a good effort, much better than the standard routine on hf.

Reactions: HBK27

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Yeah it could be a 3way, and similar trades have happened before, but it could also be a 4 way deal.

1)Habs trade Matheson/Xhekaj/1st for 10th OA
2)Devils trade Matheson to a team with playoff intentions for picks
3)Devils trade picks for a guy like Markstrom.

So that's 4 teams involved.
Maybe Matheson for Markstrom straight up, Flames need LHD.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
They would have interest in WIFI to add some cost controlled grit to their LD.

They can then move #26 and Matheson for a goalie like Markstrom

Or use Matheson to move up from #26 to a slightly better pick to get the goalie they want.

Montreal loses Xhekaj but adds 2 potentially good players drafting #5 and #10 and will better fit their timeline than Matheson, while opening the LD to move Guhle to his natural side, and room for Hutson potentially down the road.
Not a fan of it. I don't want to move two NHL defensemen in one trade because we don't have others ready to step into that role right now. The guys we draft won't be a real factor for another 2-3 years, so are we just going to keep losing?

Matty will eventually get moved. Arber could be a solid 3rd pairing/PK guy for us long term if he cleans up his defensive game.

I don't see why the Devils can't get a goalie with the #10 pick and a topper like Holtz. Send it to get Juicy Saros or over to Boston or to Cowtown. I don't see a fit for us.

Reactions: viceroy

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I really don't like this from a Habs POV

Moving a local boy 62 pts defensemen making $4.8M for the next 2 years, plus a young fan favorite proven D that has shown offensive skills and is unique due to huge enforcer abilities on top of pick No26 all for No10 pick and magic beans on the 3rd round.

That's crazy

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Can't see why NJ would want Matheson at all, even if it's just to trade him away it's just extra work for Fitz.
I know my fellow Devil fans don't like him but I could see something along the lines of the OP happening but with Anderson with 2 million retained instead of Matheson and Bahl going to Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad