Proposal: MTL & NASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Mtl still dosen't have a top 1 LD
Nash could use some fire power on the left wing to play with Duchene

MTL : Tatar (resigned) + Kulak/Mete + Struble (defense prospect)
For
NASH : Ekholm

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Nothing like beating a dead horse.

• Montreal can't afford to trade away goals.
  • Montreal fully intends to roll with Chiarot, Edmundson, and Romanov.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Next year's cap will be just as bad if not worse so
a) You do not trade for 1 year players unless you are near the cup (Col). That is not Nashville
b) You do not resign players with one year left as the prices will be lower in the off season. (Berge did not get this memo). It is fascinating the only team signing players with one year on their contracts until free agency are the habs.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
a) You do not trade for 1 year players unless you are near the cup (Col). That is not Nashville
b) You do not resign players with one year left as the prices will be lower in the off season. (Berge did not get this memo). It is fascinating the only team signing players with one year on their contracts until free agency are the habs.

I disagree with the second part completely. You build your team by future need, having players locked up medium term helps you plan later.

The players MB re-signed a year before they were due was Petry and Gallagher, his top 5-on-5 dman and his top forward, those are two players you can't replace in free agency and you should have locked up long term. Edit: and Allen too, his backup goalie, but that's quite a reasonable cap hit for expected return and was as much to do with the expansion as it was to do with planning the crease.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
tuna’s coming off back to back 60 point years. he has good value.

struble’s going nowhere

don’t really care about mete or kulak

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tatar is... re-signed? Why? What's so special about Tatar that we would want to re-sign him? TBH, this makes more sense to me just as an Expansion Draft dodge, where we get something, anything, for Ekholm because we've simply decided that long-term we can't afford him and are going to expose him in the Expansion Draft anyway. But even then... eh, I'd rather just keep Ekholm for 2020-21 than have Tatar. Kulak or Mete would be useless. Struble? I mean, just letting Seattle take Ekholm is better than all this, isn't it??? At least then we don't lose anybody else.
:dunno:

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tatar is not worth thst.

Yes the cap will likely not change next year
Around the league it seems a lot of players are hitting UFA. Teams might be more active in space next year. What they do, I don’t know.

The league in a hard cap world is going to change. It will be similar to baseball and football. Only you’re true core players get the long contracts. Others will be on shorter contracts and teams will be more quick to replace avg forwards with more potential youth and ride thrm for 7 years before they change them over.

Teams should have a 3-5 yr planning origin in future roster players and contracts. If a team know the have high draft pick player X who just had a very good first ELC year might want a higher salary in 2 yrs, so you only look st 1-2 yr contracts over long ones.

Like with buffalo they have a few ELCs starting this year and a few ELCs ending thus summer. Thrn signing the end ELCs to 2 yr bridges gives thrm a 3 yr windown to try ang ho for something before doing some player retooling by either letting a few go, and possibly trade a few others and then promote youth from within. I

I disagree with the second part completely. You build your team by future need, having players locked up medium term helps you plan later.

The players MB re-signed a year before they were due was Petry and Gallagher, his top 5-on-5 dman and his top forward, those are two players you can't replace in free agency and you should have locked up long term. Edit: and Allen too, his backup goalie, but that's quite a reasonable cap hit for expected return and was as much to do with the expansion as it was to do with planning the crease.

What is medium?

It’s going to be rare you get a star player in free agency like potentially Matthews in 2024. Instead you will see very good but not great players walk depending on team depth. If you have a high scoring 1st line LW hitting free agency next summer at 28, but you have one just starting their bridge at 23 and another on sn ELC at 21 who has similar potential you might look to trade that UFA or let him walk because you need to manage the costs.

In mi treat I would have not given either Anderson nor Gallagher those contracts. Anderson especially givrn his brittle body.for each I woukd have maxed st 4 yrs.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

We are no longer in 2010. Its 2020. The prices on forwards are down this year and are only going to get worse at least for one more year. You have moneyball bargains up down sideways that Billy Beane would be grinning ear to ear.
So review resigns
Petry- I hate extending 34 year old players. I hate they didn't trade for pick and Bean in march. And if you trade Petry and use the cap properly you could have had 1, Schmidt,Bean over Petry and say 3,4 (Schmidt rd 3 trade) or say overpay Krug at 7m and take Krug 1, Bean over Petry and 750k lost in cap space. At least Krug I feel comfortable with for 4-5 years into the deal and if it ages more then so be it. There were better options available.

Anderson- Either Anderson will get .5-.6 ppg, be slightly overpaid (see Toffoli contract for correct pay next year) but young enough where you don't hate the deal. Worst case Anderson other seasons under .5ppg are the real deal and the 18-19 is the mirage. Its the trade that will make Berge or get him fired in 12 months. The deal will be an A or an F.

Toffoli- as free agent LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! Berge waited no rush got his man.

Allen- If the plan is to lose Allen in ED and keep the young d men, then it is worth sacrificing the pawn of a 3rd to keep young d players. If not selected I don't see Primeau 3 years away and odd.

Gallagher- Its an overpay but I get why you overpay the heart of the team.

Joel E- I'll deal with overpaying Gallagher. Overpaying depth d-men? ehh. Prefer Colorado call of 2'2 for Toews over Joel E.

Its very early in off season but boy it stands out how much MTL has extended players and how little everyone else has (of course exceptions like Toews) . Even Columbus passed on long term Domi extension.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Tatar is... re-signed? Why? What's so special about Tatar that we would want to re-sign him? TBH, this makes more sense to me just as an Expansion Draft dodge, where we get something, anything, for Ekholm because we've simply decided that long-term we can't afford him and are going to expose him in the Expansion Draft anyway. But even then... eh, I'd rather just keep Ekholm for 2020-21 than have Tatar. Kulak or Mete would be useless. Struble? I mean, just letting Seattle take Ekholm is better than all this, isn't it??? At least then we don't lose anybody else.
:dunno:
Well, he did say Tatar was resigned, but didn’t specify at what rate. So I suppose there is a price where this could make sense (I don’t know about NSH’s protection list if they go 7-3, and obviously if they were going to expose Tatar on a team friendly contract they would be better off just keeping Ekholm)

Edit: Looking at it more in depth, the protection scheme at 4-4 is simple: Josi, Ellis, Eckholm, Fabbro on D, and Johansen, Forsberg, Duchene, and Arvidsson at F. At 7-3 (assuming Eckholm is traded for Tatar) they have Josi, Ellis, and Fabbro then Johansen, Forsberg, Duchene, Arvidsson, Kunin.... Tatar, obviously, and then one empty spot. The top prospects (Tolvanen, Tomasino, and Trenin) who might play on the 2nd line are all exempt, so you would be looking at players further down the lineup. Jarnkrok might be a possibility at only $2M, but I’m having a hard time finding someone to fill that 7th spot. I think a deal like this would only make any sense if they signed another top 6 F.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Just what Nashville needs another forward that doesn't produce in the playoffs.

Once again the Habs hating Wings brigade appears. WTF guys? got nothing better to do? I just don't get it. What do we mean to you guys? Because to be honest you guys mean nothing to us. We haven't faced off against you guys in the playoffs for generations. This fixation is getting weird and unsettling.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Tatar is not worth thst.

Yes the cap will likely not change next year
Around the league it seems a lot of players are hitting UFA. Teams might be more active in space next year. What they do, I don’t know.

The league in a hard cap world is going to change. It will be similar to baseball and football. Only you’re true core players get the long contracts. Others will be on shorter contracts and teams will be more quick to replace avg forwards with more potential youth and ride thrm for 7 years before they change them over.

Teams should have a 3-5 yr planning origin in future roster players and contracts. If a team know the have high draft pick player X who just had a very good first ELC year might want a higher salary in 2 yrs, so you only look st 1-2 yr contracts over long ones.

Like with buffalo they have a few ELCs starting this year and a few ELCs ending thus summer. Thrn signing the end ELCs to 2 yr bridges gives thrm a 3 yr windown to try ang ho for something before doing some player retooling by either letting a few go, and possibly trade a few others and then promote youth from within. I

What is medium?

It’s going to be rare you get a star player in free agency like potentially Matthews in 2024. Instead you will see very good but not great players walk depending on team depth. If you have a high scoring 1st line LW hitting free agency next summer at 28, but you have one just starting their bridge at 23 and another on sn ELC at 21 who has similar potential you might look to trade that UFA or let him walk because you need to manage the costs.

In mi treat I would have not given either Anderson nor Gallagher those contracts. Anderson especially givrn his brittle body.for each I woukd have maxed st 4 yrs.

The happy medium is signing players to decent length contracts hoping that they get pushed out the door by prospects.

If Danault signs for 5X6 and Kotkaneimi, Suzuki, and Poehling push him out the door, you can trade Danault for a positive value. If you don't sign Danault to that contract and you said til July 1, another team will offer him a bit more and you have to decide to match or let him walk.

I'd rather pay assets to rid a bad contract than have a giant hole in the roster that you have to pay more assets to fill.

It's the Kevin Hayes conundrum. Kevin Hayes isn't worth 7+ million but not having a giant hole at 2C is worth 7m.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Not if you overpay to do so. :thumbd:

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Nothing like beating a dead horse.

• Montreal can't afford to trade away goals.
  • Montreal fully intends to roll with Chiarot, Edmundson, and Romanov.
Romanov is playing rd in.practice since he arrived and in khl

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We are no longer in 2010. Its 2020. The prices on forwards are down this year and are only going to get worse at least for one more year. You have moneyball bargains up down sideways that Billy Beane would be grinning ear to ear.
So review resigns
Petry- I hate extending 34 year old players. I hate they didn't trade for pick and Bean in march. And if you trade Petry and use the cap properly you could have had 1, Schmidt,Bean over Petry and say 3,4 (Schmidt rd 3 trade) or say overpay Krug at 7m and take Krug 1, Bean over Petry and 750k lost in cap space. At least Krug I feel comfortable with for 4-5 years into the deal and if it ages more then so be it. There were better options available.

Anderson- Either Anderson will get .5-.6 ppg, be slightly overpaid (see Toffoli contract for correct pay next year) but young enough where you don't hate the deal. Worst case Anderson other seasons under .5ppg are the real deal and the 18-19 is the mirage. Its the trade that will make Berge or get him fired in 12 months. The deal will be an A or an F.

Toffoli- as free agent LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED IT! Berge waited no rush got his man.

Allen- If the plan is to lose Allen in ED and keep the young d men, then it is worth sacrificing the pawn of a 3rd to keep young d players. If not selected I don't see Primeau 3 years away and odd.

Joel E- I'll deal with overpaying Gallagher. Overpaying depth d-men? ehh. Prefer Colorado call of 2'2 for Toews over Joel E.

Its very early in off season but boy it stands out how much MTL has extended players and how little everyone else has (of course exceptions like Toews) . Even Columbus passed on long term Domi extension.
If Allen doesn’t get selected in the expansion draft he becomes a trade chip . A goalie of that quality at that cap hit will be worth a pick . Montreal didn’t pay 2-2nds for Edmundson. They paid a fifth . If he continues his development he could be selected . That would have cost us a fifth .
I’m curious what your obsession is with the Habs ? If Montreal had if signed Anderson to a one year deal and then lost him you would be all over that but Columbus gets a pass .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Once again the Habs hating Wings brigade appears. WTF guys? got nothing better to do? I just don't get it. What do we mean to you guys? Because to be honest you guys mean nothing to us. We haven't faced off against you guys in the playoffs for generations. This fixation is getting weird and unsettling.
It’s not just wings fans . As a long time Habs fan I think bergevin nailed it this year . Improved every area of team and gave up a third and a fifth . I don’t get this weird obsession with these other fans . The better our team gets the worse their condition gets .

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
If Allen doesn’t get selected in the expansion draft he becomes a trade chip . A goalie of that quality at that cap hit will be worth a pick . Montreal didn’t pay 2-2nds for Edmundson. They paid a fifth . If he continues his development he could be selected . That would have cost us a fifth .
I’m curious what your obsession is with the Habs ? If Montreal had if signed Anderson to a one year deal and then lost him you would be all over that but Columbus gets a pass .
Bet you anything hes a ex Habs fan that lives either in Montreal or somewhere near Quebec and is now a Flyers fan. :laugh:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
So review resigns

It came out Columbus offered Anderson and long term deal also some where around 5x5.
Found it

Also I bet you anything if Anderson signed for 7x5 with Columbus barely anyone would have said shit about the deal but because the Habs offered him slightly more the world is f***ing burning and everyone wants to bash the Habs some more get real man....

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Bet you anything hes a ex Habs fan that lives either in Montreal or somewhere near Quebec and is now a Flyers fan. :laugh:
I think he's a pissed off Flyers fan because his team did absolutely nothing to improve and knows this improved Habs squad would own the Flyers on the ice.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I think he's a pissed off Flyers fan because his team did absolutely nothing to improve and knows this improved Habs squad would own the Flyers on the ice.
Yeah whats funny is the Flyers barely beat a Habs team that traded away all there depth and iced some AHLers too and its funny how other fans "forget" about this small but rather large ass detail when it comes to the Habs/Flyers series. Not to mention the last game all there goals were all lucky deflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad