Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] 2024 1st (21OA) for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA), 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Critical draft sounds like « most important election ». Being said every 4 yrs.
All drafts are important.
Especially when you draft 1, 5 and 5 in consecutive years.
I'm thinking the Habs likely won't be drafting this high again for quite some time and there is a critical need for a young elite forward of the type only available via the draft. With this in mind, it is a critical draft in many ways more so than some other years. They might not get a chance at a Demidov or Lindstrom again soon so it's worth exploring the possibilities of making this a sure thing.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Such an odd trade without seeing who is on the board. If you're trading 2 2nds get into the lower 20s, sure. But giving up a 2nd to jump 5 slots seems shortsighted unless you know who is or is not on the board, no?
Purely hypothetical example - MON is REALLY excited by 2-3 guys (Hage, Stolberg, Greentree, etc.) who are all ranked around 20. By making this deal you're almost 100% likely to get one of the guys that you think is a large tier above what you're likely to get at 27. Then you look that about 10% of the players drafted in the late 2nd round ever have NHL careers of note, and that the Habs have more high round DP's than likely contracts spots, and the deal makes sense.

Honestly - same idea for the Sharks. They moved up 3 spots and likely guaranteed themselves a chance at one of the top 6 d-men in the draft (or Eiserman, YMMV) that they likely wouldn't have gotten at 14.

I'm a Hawks fan. Over the next 3 drafts they've got 12 picks in the top 2 rounds. TWELVE! That's literally insane, and that is why they moved a 2nd to the Isles to move up 2 spots in the 1st round and 4 spots in the 2nd. They're going to have more prospects than contract spots.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why? What a waste for Montreal when we don't even know who will be available. Worthless.

I think teams have certain Intel about whether the guy they are targeting will be available.

If you really like that particular player relative to who else is on your list around that range, then you get a scenario where you will pay to move ahead.

Reactions: viceroy
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Did McKenzie list became so reliable that teams now knows exactly the landing spot of their target? This is crazy to me to see so many draft picks swap this early.

Reactions: Mckay

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Are GM's just bored and trying to justify their existence right now?

Can't wait 'till pick #29 + #121 get traded for pick #28 cause ya just never know who's going to be available there.

I'm willing to bet that by the time you get to pick #21, teams draft boards are all over the map. Some teams have a guy pegged at 21 that other teams have in the late 40's. This seems so pointless to me, honestly.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seems to me that this is part 1 of HuGos moves today/tonight

Year 1 of hugo at the draft was him grabbing dach for a 1st rounder... in order to do that, they traded Romanov for a 1st

Year 2 of hugo at the draft was trading a couple picks for newhook

Year 3 at the draft is a draft swap..... so far.

maybe it's a repeat of what he did in Year 1, but those Romanov/dach moves were announced in conjunction. I think they just really like someone in that draft slot.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Year 1 of hugo at the draft was him grabbing dach for a 1st rounder... in order to do that, they traded Romanov for a 1st

Year 2 of hugo at the draft was trading a couple picks for newhook

Year 3 at the draft is a draft swap..... so far.

maybe it's a repeat of what he did in Year 1, but those Romanov/dach moves were announced in conjunction. I think they just really like someone in that draft slot.
sure that's possible but that kind of deal usually happens when the pick is about the happen and the player they want is there.

I mean right now no one has a clue who will or wont be available at 21....

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Are GM's just bored and trying to justify their existence right now?

Can't wait 'till pick #29 + #121 get traded for pick #28 cause ya just never know who's going to be available there.

I'm willing to bet that by the time you get to pick #21, teams draft boards are all over the map. Some teams have a guy pegged at 21 that other teams have in the late 40's. This seems so pointless to me, honestly.
Players between 21 and 30 are not interchangeable

Id rather pick first and let the other teams take the leftovers rather than the other way around.

if the cost is 57 oa to move up 5 spots I’ll give up both our second next year and 21 for 10 oa

Reactions: danisonfire

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
sure that's possible but that kind of deal usually happens when the pick is about the happen and the player they want is there.

I mean right now no one has a clue who will or wont be available at 21....

That's a good point that those deals are usually announced closer to the moment, but I do think teams have a certain degree of Intel about which team likes what player within their drafting range.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Players between 21 and 30 are not interchangeable

Id rather pick first and let the other teams take the leftovers rather than the other way around.

if the cost is 57 oa to move up 5 spots I’ll give up both our second next year and 21 for 10 oa
If you were to look at each teams draft board and who they have ranked 1-21, I bet between the 32 different teams there would be 45-50 unique names. It's ridiculous for the Habs to think they have any accurate notion of who will be available at 21 but not 26. There's way too much variance.

If they get up there to draft 21 and realize they have a handful of guys on their board still available that they rate pretty equally they will realize it was a waste of extra picks to move up.

57th isn't an amazing pick or anything but you never know when you're drafting the next Patrice Bergeron in round 2.

I'm not even saying it's a bad trade in terms of too much value given up it's just how pointless it is in my mind. Like seems like something you do just because you're bored and want some action. It's a total mystery as of now what you traded up for.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Weird how there are 3 trades to move up in the first round before anyone is picked. Must be a big drop off after certain number of picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad