Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Connor Hughes signs with the Canadiens (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
what's the plan ?
27 years old in his prime.
Primeau and Montenbeault here to stay ?
To go in Laval ?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Oh my God, I remember when he was playing for the Ticino Rockets, the farm team at the time of HC Lugano and HC Ambri-Piotta in the 2nd tier league of Switzerland!
He played two whole seasons there. The team was from a little town called Biasca, which has about 6,000 people as population!
From the Ticino Rockets to the Montreal Canadiens. I would have never believed it!!! LOL
Good on Connor! Atta boy, you came from the real deep to get to the NHL!

For old times sake and for good luck, here‘s their logo.

IMG_3816.png

Attachments

• IMG_3816.png
    IMG_3816.png
    60 KB · Views: 1

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
what's the plan ?
27 years old in his prime.
Primeau and Montenbeault here to stay ?
To go in Laval ?
Montreal needs 2 goalies as an insurance policy to prevent Dobes from being the NHL injury replacement. This is the first one, depending on who else is signed, he will be in the AHL or ECHL.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Led Swiss League in save%. Might end up in ECHL but no risk.
Very good goalies in the Swiss league are AHL-level for sure. He had a rapid development in the last two years. I hope (and the Canadians probably too) there is more to come. Has a good size and played excellent during the playoffs. Should have played for Switzerland and the WC.

Reactions: montreal

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Montreal needs 2 goalies as an insurance policy to prevent Dobes from being the NHL injury replacement. This is the first one, depending on who else is signed, he will be in the AHL or ECHL.
I don't know very much about the goalie situation in Montreal, but I highly doubt he would have signed if there is a realistic chance of him being in the ECHL.

It can happen of course, but I am sure he starts in the AHL and will compete for lots of playing time. If it was clearly communicated to him that he has a backup role in the AHL or even have to go to the ECHL, there was no reason to take the deal. He was too good for that last year.

Reactions: montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't know very much about the goalie situation in Montreal, but I highly doubt he would have signed if there is a realistic chance of him being in the ECHL.

It can happen of course, but I am sure he starts in the AHL and will compete for lots of playing time. If it was clearly communicated to him that he has a backup role in the AHL or even have to go to the ECHL, there was no reason to take the deal. He was too good for that last year.

He was not guaranteed a spot and was told he would likely be in the AHL.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

At the time of the signing, besides the 2 NHL goalies, they only had Dobes under contract. He just completed his rookie season, and it would be a huge mistake to play him in the NHL if an injury occured to the other 2.

I don't know anything about his personal life, but at 27 there are considerations such as what country you want to educate any children in, Canada or Switzerland?

He is guaranteed $225,000 regardless of playing in the AHL or ECHL. Most importantly he is a UFA at the end of the year so if he shows well, will be free to sign with anyone that offers him an NHL backup job.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad