Proposal: MTL/DET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I guess it all depends on what you think of Romanov. If you think he's a star in the making, then this is a bad deal for Montreal. I don't think he's a star in the making and thus it's a bad deal for Detroit.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
oh im mainly talking about the future. Wings have Johannson, Wallinder, McIssac, Edvinsson all on the left hand side. Its not hard to think at least 2 of them will make for decent NHL'ers. If Yzerman is giving up Hronek and Fabbri, I don't think its for a LHD as good as Romanov is.
The 2011 draft haunted the Wings for the last decade. Let’s not count NHLers like Holland did before they make it. The Wings sat on their hands because they were so sure they were stocked up with XO, Sproul, Marchenko and Backman were the future. They were so sure those guys were going to make it they didn’t draft a defenseman inside the 5th round for the next 3 years and drafted Saarijarvi in the 3rd who was a project at best in the 4th year.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
It's not terrible value, and kudos for making the money make sense to an extent, it makes the trade even more realistic. Fabbri is a UFA so getting anything of value out of him in an interesting player like Romanov is gravy. I also don't hate the idea of taking a gamble on Toffoli, he's only got two more years at a pretty reasonable cap hit. The question is the cost of losing Hronek worth it given that in theory he's a .5 PPG RHD and in return we'd be getting another LHD which we have plenty of, and useful depth scoring player, which we do need but not yet - we're still a year away from being a bubble team afterall. I would say that it's still a year too early for us to be making moves like this without a significant future asset attached.

Counter offer: take out Romanov, upgrade the pick to a 2022 or 2023 1st with the condition that if Montreal's pick falls inside the top 10 in 2022, they can defer the pick to 2023.
MTL pick will be top10 for a while. Condition wpuld need to be we differ until the pick is outside of the top15, as Hronek isn't worth a top15 pick

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
MTL pick will be top10 for a while. Condition wpuld need to be we differ until the pick is outside of the top15, as Hronek isn't worth a top15 pick
I would argue that a top4 RHD signed to a reasonable cap hit that expires as an RFA is worth a pick in the teens, given the steep drop off in NHL winshares that begins after the top 4 picks.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The 2011 draft haunted the Wings for the last decade. Let’s not count NHLers like Holland did before they make it. The Wings sat on their hands because they were so sure they were stocked up with XO, Sproul, Marchenko and Backman were the future. They were so sure those guys were going to make it they didn’t draft a defenseman inside the 5th round for the next 3 years and drafted Saarijarvi in the 3rd who was a project at best in the 4th year.

Big difference, none of those dmen taken in 2011 draft were expected to be potential top-pairing guys, I would say two years later XO and Sproul were showing some good promise with their development, but neither of them ever reached a Seider level, not even close.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not good for the Habs. Toffoli should get a good prospect and a pick and there's no point in trading away Romanov like that.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are we trading Romonov? To solve one problem and create another?

Why are we trading Toffoli? Because he has a reasonable contract and is in a funk like the rest of the team?

NO to this trade.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'd do It, quite easily. Hronek is awesome, he'd be exactly what the Habs are looking for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why is is awful for them ?

We are not going to trade Romanov at age 21 for guys who are 24 or 25. Romanov might stall but he might not so it would be dumb for us to make that move where he turns into Hronek at age 24 in the end. Toffoli is on a value contract and we are asked to move him for Fabbri who is a pending UFA? And we are adding a 4th? Come on man.

Habs are not that desperate for Hronek. He is on a good track but he won't move the needle for us. A move like this for the Habs would be desperation in a season where we are looking at a bottom 10 finish.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
How about a Hronek - Romanov swap, with some pieces balancing each side? Leddy has been doing great, but Dekeyser is a mess and while Staal is serviceable, Romanov would be an upgrade.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
We're saying no to Romanov because we have Johannson, Wallinder, & McIssac?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We are not going to trade Romanov at age 21 for guys who are 24 or 25. Romanov might stall but he might not so it would be dumb for us to make that move where he turns into Hronek at age 24 in the end. Toffoli is on a value contract and we are asked to move him for Fabbri who is a pending UFA? And we are adding a 4th? Come on man.

Habs are not that desperate for Hronek. He is on a good track but he won't move the needle for us. A move like this for the Habs would be desperation in a season where we are looking at a bottom 10 finish.
24 and 25 year olds!? What a bunch of senior citizens.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
24 and 25 year olds!? What a bunch of senior citizens.

OK, how about we trade Evans or Lehkonen and Drouin to the Wings for Seider and Namestnikov (you don't really have a value contract like Toffoli so closest age 28 guy I can find). See how you like that and then ask you to add a pick on top as well. :laugh:. You can try to say it's not the same situation but then you miss the point.

Fabbri is who he is just as much as who Drouin is at this age point. Maybe we might be interested in a Hronek for Romanov straight up but not sure we have the cap room to do that and we are certainly not going to throw in Toffoli as a spare part to even the cap.

Hronek is a guy we might be interested in but we are not desperate bud

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about a Hronek - Romanov swap, with some pieces balancing each side? Leddy has been doing great, but Dekeyser is a mess and while Staal is serviceable, Romanov would be an upgrade.

That might make more sense but the Habs have to be careful with our cap and we are certainly not going to throw in Toffoli to even out the cap as a spare part.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
OK, how about we trade Evans or Lehkonen and Drouin to the Wings for Seider and Namestnikov (you don't really have a value contract like Toffoli so closest age 28 guy I can find). See how you like that and then ask you to add a pick on top as well. :laugh:. You can try to say it's not the same situation but then you miss the point.

Fabbri is who he is just as much as who Drouin is at this age point. Maybe we might be interested in a Hronek for Romanov straight up but not sure we have the cap room to do that and we are certainly not going to throw in Toffoli as a spare part to even the cap.

That's a horrible take.

The OP's proposal is reasonable and a lot more balanced than you are describing. Habs just played against Detroit last night, you had to have noticed Hronek out there. He was the big, smooth skating dman who played 23 minutes and who smothered out Gallagher's breakaway among a lot of other good plays. He's got 3 years left on a very reasonable contract and is still RFA at the end.

Getting a guy like that should be and is expensive. OP took a player from our area of strength (wing) and balanced out the trade.

Hronek is better than Romanov and likely better than Romanov will turn into.
Toffoli is better than Fabri and is included to make the trade hurt less for Detroit.

Your counter proposal doesn't hurt the Habs but decimates the Wings.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Your problem here is thinking that any of the players you just listed have even close to the same kind of value that you just proposed here.

Seider >>>>> Romanov.
Hronek >>>>> Drouin

Romanov isn’t that great of a prospect at all at this point and it’s funny seeing Habs fans still try and pretend like he ia

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Counter offer: take out Romanov, upgrade the pick to a 2022 or 2023 1st with the condition that if Montreal's pick falls inside the top 10 in 2022, they can defer the pick to 2023.
Habs cannot trade their 2022 1st rounder. It's tied up conditionally as part of the trade for Dvorak.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If I'm Detroit, I'd rather keep Hronek. Having him play behind Seider long-term is the right spot for him.

I don't think Romanov is anything special and Detroit already has a ton of LHD prospects.

Reactions: BStinson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Toffoli would be worth much more to a competitive, cap-crunched team... he's good value and can slot in to just about any top-6 in the league. Detroit is still a few years away from being competitive or cap crunched, so doubt they value him as much as a playoff/cup contender.

Romanov's value is depressed thanks to the habs terrible approach to young players. No point for the habs to sell low on him just to bring in another young dman that's just as, or more (given Hronek's style of play) to get the heavy yo-yo treatement.

hard pass from Mtl pov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's a horrible take.

The OP's proposal is reasonable and a lot more balanced than you are describing. Habs just played against Detroit last night, you had to have noticed Hronek out there. He was the big, smooth skating dman who played 23 minutes and who smothered out Gallagher's breakaway among a lot of other good plays. He's got 3 years left on a very reasonable contract and is still RFA at the end.

Getting a guy like that should be and is expensive. OP took a player from our area of strength (wing) and balanced out the trade.

Hronek is better than Romanov and likely better than Romanov will turn into.
Toffoli is better than Fabri and is included to make the trade hurt less for Detroit.

Your counter proposal doesn't hurt the Habs but decimates the Wings.

The OP's proposal is not a good deal for the Habs. You don't have to agree. You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts so spare me with the "horrible take" narrative. BTW, the counter proposal is sarcastic :laugh:

This makes more sense if both sides want to make a deal:
Romanov + cap hit (not named Toffoli). Possible pick added depending on the contract/term.
for
Hronek

The cap hit narrative is only at play cause the Habs can't afford to take on salary in any trade. If the Wings can't agree to that, it falls through. Honestly, I don't see a deal here. That original proposal favors the Wings IMO. Toffoli is a value contract and he's not going to be added as a spare part cap hit unless we get value. Romanov is not going to be traded as some undervalued young player either.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your problem here is thinking that any of the players you just listed have even close to the same kind of value that you just proposed here.

Seider >>>>> Romanov.
Hronek >>>>> Drouin

Romanov isn’t that great of a prospect at all at this point and it’s funny seeing Habs fans still try and pretend like he ia

You didn't read the entire message so it's not my problem you didn't comprehend that correctly. I thought someone would try to say it's not the same value and I even said it in the post! :laugh:. Point went over your head.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I'm Detroit, I'd rather keep Hronek. Having him play behind Seider long-term is the right spot for him.

I don't think Romanov is anything special and Detroit already has a ton of LHD prospects.

Habs are not desperate for Hronek and I feel the same... why would the Wings want to trade him? Habs would be interested yes but not desperate.

As far as Romanov goes, he is still young and maturing as a NHL D man which takes time. Time that Hronek has had over the last few years now that he is age 24. When Hronek was 20, he was not even in the NHL. It's undetermined where Romanov will be at age 24 yes but we are certainly not going to trade him for low value either.

175 NHL games now at age 24
vs
64 NHL games now at age 21

Fabbri does nothing for the Habs. Habs adding Toffoli and a pick is a joke!

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Habs are not desperate for Hronek and I feel the same... why would the Wings want to trade him? Habs would be interested yes but not desperate.

As far as Romanov goes, he is still young and maturing as a NHL D man which takes time. Time that Hronek has had over the last few years now that he is age 24. When Hronek was 20, he was not even in the NHL. It's undetermined where Romanov will be at age 24 yes but we are certainly not going to trade him for low value either.

175 NHL games now at age 24
vs
64 NHL games now at age 21

Fabbri does nothing for the Habs. Habs adding Toffoli and a pick is a joke!
The Wings should want to trade for Romanov at the expense of Hronek especially factoring in our LHD pipeline: Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder, Buium, McIsaac, and Viro. The age difference between Hronek is 2.18 years as Romanov turns 22 in Jan and Hronek turned 24 two days ago. Not exactly a major difference specially when you factor in production/development difference at their respective years so not sure how that is selling low by your statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad