Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Kaiden Guhle signs extension with the Canadiens (6 years, $5.55M AAV; begins 2025-26)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He's struggled? By what metrics? JFRESHES? LMAO.
Out of 209 dman to play 1000 minutes in the past 2 years 5v5, guhle ranks

182nd in goals share (43.05%)
172nd in expected goals share (45.39%)
179th in shot share (45.77%)
189th in fenwick (44.86%)
189th in corsi (44.03%)

Montreal gets outscored by 0.77 goals every 60 minutes with guhle on the ice. Or over the course of a season for a team that would be -63 goals, without PPs or PKs.

On the PK, out of 147 dmen with at least 150 minutes of PK time over the last 2 years, he ranks

139th in goal differential (-9.13/60)
138th in expected goal differential (-10.01/60)
142nd in shot differential (-61.31/60)
134th in fenwick differential (-82.91/60)
139th in coesi differential (-115.48/60)

In summary, Kaiden Guhle gets outshot, outchanced, and outscored at a very large rate when he's on the ice. I consider this struggling. If you would like me to use a different word, such as "getting bad results", or "gets caved in", I am happy to.

Does this make Kaiden Guhle a bad hockey player? No. As I have said countless times, most dmen would struggle in a situation like this.

I think he's very very good. But the results are the results

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

189th in corsi (44.03%)

Montreal gets outscored by 0.77 goals every 60 minutes with guhle on the ice. Or over the course of a season for a team that would be -63 goals, without PPs or PKs.

On the PK, out of 147 dmen with at least 150 minutes of PK time over the last 2 years, he ranks

In summary, Kaiden Guhle gets outshot, outchanced, and outscored at a very large rate when he's on the ice. I consider this struggling. If you would like me to use a different word, such as "getting bad results", or "gets caved in", I am happy to.

Does this make Kaiden Guhle a bad hockey player? No. As I have said countless times, most dmen would struggle in a situation like this.

Damn you're a hockeyref scout! Context, results and performance are all much easier to evaluate when you pickup the remote.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Damn you're a hockeyref scout! Context, results and performance are all much easier to evaluate when you pickup the remote.
I have stated the context countless times: Kaiden Guhle plays in an incredibly difficult situation

I have stated the results countless times: Kaiden Guhle does not get great on ice results.

I have stated my overall conclusion, from the numbers and the eye test: I think Kaiden Guhle is a VERY good dman.

How his game will change as the situation around him improves (hopefully) remains to be seen. Some guys are meant to eat tough minutes and do that quite well, but may not be able to take advantage of easier minutes when given the opportunities. Some guys utterly dominate when given the right situation but will be out of their depth in tough minutes.

It's the coaches job to maximize those skillsets.

If I'm looking for a guy to eat very very tough minutes, I will take Kaiden Guhle 100%.

If I'm looking for a guy to dominate in a more favourable situation, I'd probably lean a different way (although, again, Guhle has not been given the opportunity in those easier minutes, so his aptitude for that remains to be seen for the most part).

Assuming MTL runs with Lane Hutson and Arber Xhekaj at 2LD and 3LD however, I doubt we will be seeing Guhle get those easy minutes any time soon.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Theres an interview in the paper today with his agent

They were open to 8 years but wanted 8m+, he said Hugues didnt want anything to do with that
I love Guhle but he's not worth 8 mil. If he wanted that then sign a two year that brings you into that level...or not. Then see where the chip$ fall.

I don't think he's dynamic enough to be a top 20 NHL offensive dynamo and bring him to that level. Plus he's going to have a lot of competition as an offensive dynamo from Mailman and Hutson. Possibly X.

Early on I saw him as Weber 2, but now i see him more as 1D defensive and 3D offense. But, there is time for him to change his spots....and my mind.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

189th in corsi (44.03%)

Your stats are fine by me!
Young Ghule can be proud of those stats, coming into the league as a rookie/sophomore, playing big minutes on one of the worst teams in the league!! Come on man? Kaiden projects to be a top pairing d man in the NHL and his numbers are a good education with a solid foundation.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

189th in corsi (44.03%)

Look, TEAM stats who are took without context. Again, good job master chef

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Theres an interview in the paper today with his agent

They were open to 8 years but wanted 8m+, he said Hugues didnt want anything to do with that
So in doing the math, the agent valued 6 years at $33.3 mill. 8 years at a minimum of $8 mill per is $64 mill. That is a $30.7 mill difference. So those last 2 years are worth $15.35 mill each?

Agent came down a lot if he thought he could get $8 mill per over 8.

It would have made more sense it if this was a 3 year bridge deal then it’s like $16.65 mill. Then it’s $47.35 over 5 years which is then $9.47 mill per to get the same $64 mill over 8 years he was asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtydanglez

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Comparing UFA contracts to a guy who wasn't eligble for UFA until 2029 is incredibly stupid.
Correct. One is a ufa who can sign anywhere. The other even if he waited til his elc expired is a rfa with no arbitration rights. At best he hopes for an OS which we have not seen handed out in 3 seasons.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Correct. One is a ufa who can sign anywhere. The other even if he waited til his elc expired is a rfa with no arbitration rights. At best he hopes for an OS which we have not seen handed out in 3 seasons.
Yep, Guhle's contract should be compared to like an Alex Vlasic for example. (tbh probably one of the best comps in terms of a very good young defensive dman in a tough situation on a dogshit team)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Yep, Guhle's contract should be compared to like an Alex Vlasic for example. (tbh probably one of the best comps in terms of a very good young defensive dman in a tough situation on a dogshit team)
Guhle is a better dman come on now

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still waiting on Seider in Detroit to sign. He’s got the full 3 years on the elc to base his numbers on.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Guhle is a better dman come on now
Did I say he wasn't? I said they were comparable.

I'm sure hawks fans would say Vlasic is better.
I'm sure MTL fans will say guhle.

They're in the same tier, which is what is important for this discussion.

Still waiting on Seider in Detroit to sign. He’s got the full 3 years on the elc to base his numbers on.
Seider feels like a whole different animal. He's like a full tier above in terms of how difficult his assignments are compared to everyone else.

And his results are also not great the last 2 years, but we also saw him really be elite in an easier role as a rookie, which gives a lot of hope, and is a level I don't think Guhle or Vlasic have ever reached

I expect him to get big big money

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
ROC? I'm not a bird? Are you accusing me of being another poster?? As a Habs fan, not surprised to see which obnoxious posters are offended by what I said. Same exact crew every time.
You're the one being offended here, sweetie.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I love Guhle but he's not worth 8 mil. If he wanted that then sign a two year that brings you into that level...or not. Then see where the chip$ fall.

I don't think he's dynamic enough to be a top 20 NHL offensive dynamo and bring him to that level. Plus he's going to have a lot of competition as an offensive dynamo from Mailman and Hutson. Possibly X.

Early on I saw him as Weber 2, but now i see him more as 1D defensive and 3D offense. But, there is time for him to change his spots....and my mind.
Got to keep in mind the context of his role last year. For most of the season he was asked to (defensively) babysit Matheson while playing on this offside and taking a lot of hard minutes against top opposition.

That's not an easy task for anyone, let alone someone as young as Ghule.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00