Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Kaiden Guhle signs extension with the Canadiens (6 years, $5.55M AAV; begins 2025-26)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pretty nice deal all around. Habs get potentially a very good contract and Guhle gets decent pay and becomes prime-aged UFA who can pick his own destination then.

Reactions: HabsQC

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
kent-hughes-scaled-jpg.898303

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Why not 8 years?
Assuming he progresses as expected, he'll hit UFA at 28 and get a max term deal. If he hits it at 30, maybe he gets 5-6 years. He may be leaving a little change on the table now, but when the cap is up and he has a better resume he'll more than make up for it. Not all players want max term. Look at Matthews.

I'm wondering if it's front-loaded like Slafs? Keeps it at a lower AAV but actually more valuable to the player due to time value of money. It's really an invaluable tool for large market teams to optimize their resources. Which means Buttman and Daly are going to target them in the next CBA discussions.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This has the potential to be a really really team friendly deal. Even if Guhle doesn't take some steps forward, this still isn't an awful deal.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Why not 8 years?????
Maybe because it would get him to be UFA at 30.. which is the worst situation for a team.

The player's getting out of his peak years, but turning 30.

Gallagher and Carey Price situation all over again

Reactions: Wats

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Injuries are a big concern for me.

If not I think he projects as a good #2-3, with solid skating but limited offensive upside.

Great price if that pans out... But he's always injured. Even got injured at the World Championships if I am not mistaken.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
What i like about 6 years instead of 8 it's that fact that he cannot sit on that money if he wants that payday in 6 years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is a great contract for the Habs, very unlikely that he underperforms vs that AAV, while it's quite likely he's worth considerably more.

Congratulats Habs fans, you're getting your young core signed up with term. The only question that remains unanswered is "is this the right core?".

You now have these guys through 2027-28:
Suzuki
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Guhle

Unfortunately you also have Gallagher and Anderson tied up at 12M until 2026-27...

Still, that's a nice group. Add in Hutson, Reinbacher, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Fowler, and Roy. Pretty promising group, the only gap is the lack of dominance at center - Suzuki is great but is probably better off as a 2C on a contender. Maybe Hage is a guy who can show a higher ceiling?

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Great AAV for the 6 years. I would have liked 8 years but the AAV would have probably ballooned if they pushed for 8.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I mean get good , then you can puff out your chest ..
Embarrassed your core of 4 100 point players with an AHL team , how did it feel when Danault outclassed AM34 in a bo7 when it mattered :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Clamped by Danault is crazyyyyyyy :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Would you even put money on the laughs beating our 25th in the league team in another Bo7 ? I know deep down you wouldn't

Ad

Ad

Ad