Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Kaiden Guhle signs extension with the Canadiens (6 years, $5.55M AAV; begins 2025-26)

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
This is a great contract for the Habs, very unlikely that he underperforms vs that AAV, while it's quite likely he's worth considerably more.

Congratulats Habs fans, you're getting your young core signed up with term. The only question that remains unanswered is "is this the right core?".

You now have these guys through 2027-28:
Suzuki
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Guhle

Unfortunately you also have Gallagher and Anderson tied up at 12M until 2026-27...

Still, that's a nice group. Add in Hutson, Reinbacher, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Fowler, and Roy. Pretty promising group, the only gap is the lack of dominance at center - Suzuki is great but is probably better off as a 2C on a contender. Maybe Hage is a guy who can show a higher ceiling?

Every team has one or 2 very bad contract. Is probably impossible to trade Anderson right now. Maybe he will bounce back next season. Gallagher is one bad injury from joining Price. So i'm not worry about his contract.

What the Habs is missing is a top 20 players in the league to be a elite team. Maybe the Habs get lucky and end up drafting James Hagens (or any top 3 player in the 2025 draft). Demidov + top 3 player in 2025 draft could help the Habs becoming a top tier team in the league.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the Canadiens, by a long shot, but this is the player that most impresses me every time I've watched them play. Size, skating, good hockey instincts.
He is a Morgan Riley type of player, not as much offense as Reilly, but a little better in his own end.

Great deal for both sides. He is still a kid......this contract will age very well.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He is a Morgan Riley type of player, not as much offense as Reilly, but a little better in his own end.

Great deal for both sides. He is still a kid......this contract will age very well.
I think Guhle will be more of a physical all around Dman to compliment either Hutson or Mailloux's offensive style.

Great skater too, which will benefit the back end tremendously for exit zones and puck transition. I really believe the Habs could have one of the best top 4's in the league in 5-8 years if they all reach their potential.

A lot will depend ont he coach too. I like MSL, but if Jim Montgomery every gets fired in Boston, Hughes needs to nab him quick.

Reactions: BLONG7

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Surprised he didn't crack his wrist signing the contract.

Hughes having a terrible week.

Mike Matheson is the Habs' best defenseman. By a wide margin too.
Is he tho?

looks like he’s cleaning up on player play and that’s it.
IMG_8860.png

Vs
IMG_8859.png

Those cards don’t do a great job accounting for quality of competition but both these players played equally tough minutes.

IMG_8862.jpeg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is a great contract for the Habs, very unlikely that he underperforms vs that AAV, while it's quite likely he's worth considerably more.

Congratulats Habs fans, you're getting your young core signed up with term. The only question that remains unanswered is "is this the right core?".

Suzuki
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Guhle

Unfortunately you also have Gallagher and Anderson tied up at 12M until 2026-27...

Still, that's a nice group. Add in Hutson, Reinbacher, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Fowler, and Roy. Pretty promising group, the only gap is the lack of dominance at center - Suzuki is great but is probably better off as a 2C on a contender. Maybe Hage is a guy who can show a higher ceiling?

I don't get why people are so down on Suzuki. Hasn't missed a game in 4 years, born leader, led the team by a significant margin the last 3 years, 77 points this year.

He's not in the Mackinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl, Hughes tier, but he's still quite comfortably a top 32 C in the NHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

Suzuki
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Guhle

its early, but I foresee NJD and MTL being top seeds in the east one day (Montreal more down the road as their D develops). Landing Demidov I think was that missing elite core piece they needed (and will surely have another good pick next summer too).

add in Mailloux to those you mentioned, and you have 2 offensive Dmen in Hutson LD and Mailloux RD who will be complemented by smooth skating more all around Dmen in Guhle LD and Reinbacher RD. It could be a perfect top 4.

To me Dach is the X factor as that big offensive 2C, if he can stay healthy long term. Was smart getting Hage as a possible replacement if Dach doesnt pan out health wise, and could maybe even play with him on the wing one day.

Guys like: Roy, Beck, and Newhook I think are great depth scoring players that they can rotate between the 3rd and 2nd line.

Of course theyll sign a big UFA or 2 when the times comes too (hopefully!! damn Quebec taxes ).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Is he tho?

looks like he’s cleaning up on player play and that’s it.
View attachment 898353
Vs
View attachment 898354

Those cards don’t do a great job accounting for quality of competition but both these players played equally tough minutes.

View attachment 898355
The funny thing is Ghule is actually pretty good off the rush or coming in as the late man offensively , he just can't do that at all playing with Mike who loves to have his little adventures on the ice

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don't get why people are so down on Suzuki. Hasn't missed a game in 4 years, born leader, led the team by a significant margin the last 3 years, 77 points this year.

He's not in the Mackinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl, Hughes tier, but he's still quite comfortably a top 32 C in the NHL.
Suzuki would have been one of the best Cs about 15 yrs ago in the NHL. Unfortunately, generational type players entered the league in the meantime, so Suzuki gets bumped down. If Caufield and Slaf tear it up, Suzuki will easily surpass 80 points.

• Haha
Reactions: saska sault

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Suzuki would have been one of the best Cs about 15 yrs ago in the NHL. Unfortunately, generational type players entered the league in the meantime, so Suzuki gets bumped down. If Caufield and Slaf tear it up, Suzuki will easily surpass 80 points.

15 years ago you had prime Crosby, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, Malkin....

Just like today, he would be in that #10-25 range.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Great skater too, which will benefit the back end tremendously for exit zones and puck transition. I really believe the Habs could have one of the best top 4's in the league in 5-8 years if they all reach their potential.
Can't ever bank on that many kids to hit their potential. They are going to need to figure out how to properly develop everyone. A lot of young guys to intergrate into the lineup over the next couple of seasons. Will need the ones already there to establish themselves, otherwise, they have to move on from them and allow the next guys a shot.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Ad

Ad