Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Kaiden Guhle signs extension with the Canadiens (6 years, $5.55M AAV; begins 2025-26)

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Good for Guhle on this deal imo - takes him right to FA at the cost of a bit lower AAV. May not be worth the contract today but in a couple years when he's in his prime he should be a solid top 4 guy.

Why not? He's MTL best defenceman right now while playing on his wrong side and still paid under 1M next season.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
6 x 5.5M

Good deal - I would have preferred 8 years but 6 at that price is fine
My thoughts as well. Likely costs $2 million more to get 8 years.

personally I think I wouldve gone with a bridge because of injury concerns, but could pay off tremendously if healthy. Hes an all around solid top 4 Dman, and should only get better as the team does.
Bridging Subban bombed. Lock up your key young pieces for as long as you can as soon as you can.

Reactions: zeeto

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Bridge deals backfire on teams more often than long term extensions for their young core players coming off of ELCs do. This should be another in a long line of these type of contracts that age well especially with the expected big cap rise. Smart GMs get out ahead of this and lock their key players up early.
It depends on what state you are in as a team. If a bridge deal gives you the cap to compete for/win a cup then it's more than worth it.

If you're a team like MTL with plenty of cap and not competing soon no reason to save cap space short term with a bridge

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
MTL has the space and he's progressing nicely. Nice to lock him up at a solid number for another 6 years after this season. He would have to really stall in his development not to make this worthwhile for the Habs.

Reactions: HabsQC

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This is the deal I'm liking the least, but that's mostly due to Guhle's health. It's still a pretty good deal.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good deal for the Habs.

I like Guhle and his game is only going to get better with age like most D men.

Lots to like about his game. Good size, good skater, can play physical, has good instincts both offensively and defensively. He should develop into a long term piece for the Habs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Offense is one of the “ways” tho

Depends on what's meant by offense. Its not his calling card, but over the last two years (his entire NHL career), he's been very productive 5v5/ES for a D. He's just not really an offensive driver (and his defensive responsibilities may play a role).

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Offense is one of the “ways” tho
What I think he's saying is that Guhle skates extremely well, moves the puck well in transition, but it hasn't translated to a lot of points so far. Jay Bouwmeester was like that for a lot of his career. A dependable guy that eats minutes, and makes life easier for everyone else he plays with.

Reactions: Dutronc and malcb33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad