Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Justin Barron re-signs with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doesn't matter to me. Barron is still very much part of my plans for the Habs. He's going to prove guys wrong and his value with fans has gone down because he's being shopped by Habs fans due to our deep pool at D.

Doubt Hughes is shopping Barron like that.
HuGo may indeed prefer to self rent and keep for surplus depth.
Only coupla yrs ago, Bruins had insane slew of D injuries all at once

That said, a fair argument can also be made about repurposing assets to optimize surplus + minimize scarcity on the varsity roster

discussion should be entertained and compare pros and cons of dif scenarios

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This seems juuuust rich enough that he might slip through waivers.
I had that thought too but he just would not sadly, too much upside + positional value AND I think 100% can be buried. I believe you're a Sharks fan if I'm not mistaken and feel like we can agree he wouldn't get past them given their RD depth. Habs will give him every chance to succeed this year - there's no rush with Mailloux or REinbacher imo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Um what? Who's rankings are you using? Scott Wheeler for example just released his top 100 prospect rankings and Reinbacher is 8th among RD alone. If you add in LD he is 16th, and out of everyone he is ranked 38th (I am personally higher on Reinbacher than someone like ASP who he has ranked 1 spot ahead but they are fairly close).

As for Perrault he has him ranked 1st among LW's, 3rd among all wingers, 5th among all forwards, and 13th overall. For context Wheeler has Stankoven ranked right behind him at 14th and we just witnessed how good that kid looks.

As of right now Barron isn't even in the same stratosphere as Perrault, but that tends to happen when one gets sent down the the AHL after struggling on one of the weakest d-core's in the league vs the other putting up nearly identical production to the recent 1st OA pick also as a Freshman in the NCAA.
Appreciate the independent confirmation to what I was saying.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Is G Perreault still 5'-11" and 165 lbs? A little light in weight eh? Is the 165 lbs still accurate or was that his draft weight?

He's got offensive game but he's in for a wake up call when he turns pro. Sorry bud but you are reaching too much on this one. All this hype pre NHL has to stop. It's usually a huge jump in quality of play for 90% of the players out there and Perreault is not the exception.

The reason why Reinbacher is more valuable is his size/skating/compete level and yes, he plays RD which make it more attractive.

What you are doing is
* Pumping Perreault too much. Yes, he goes earlier in a redraft but not moving as much as you think.
* Blah on Reinbacher. This kid has game and the size/skating to support it.
* Deflating Barron who is still a very good prospect. All you fans see his name being shopped by fans and think he is not good anymore. This kid has a great package of size/skating/shot power and the only thing he is missing is maturity/experience. I think he becomes one of those guys that hits his prime a bit later.

I bet you Barron and Perreault have similar NHL values once they are both playing full NHL seasons.
I agree with you that that the old sports adage says USUALLY
'the good big man beats the good little man'

However, to every rule there is an exception [at least one] and it would not be fair to have said this before, but based on what the eye test shows to date, he projects to be that exception.
A Marty St. Louis is such an exception.
He was super tough and that offset his size, so he could play w/bigger comp.
Perreault remains to be seen, but again, eye test points to success.

W'o eye test you saying he ain't gonna make it is fair.
Howev, given eye test, arguably you have overreached.

Unless this kid is career level injured, he will be a special star, not unlike Fox

Perreault has also gotten to play with the same 2 linemates for like 4 years straight, this will not continue forever.

His numbers are a bit inflated although he is a good prospect.
superior bordering elite

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No.
Height + weight, yes
But not potential

There is no way to know now who has better career
Per has way more skill
Rein has greater athleticism
At this point I think it’s pretty safe to say Reinbacher will have a greater impact overall than Perreault over their careers unless we need multiple career altering injuries.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At this point I think it’s pretty safe to say Reinbacher will have a greater impact overall than Perreault over their careers unless we need multiple career altering injuries.
That's your op and I don't begrudge you, you're entitled to it.

That said, based on what?
It is entirely subjective at this pt, not to mention there will likely be phases for both where, neither being a McDavid who elevates automatically anyone playing on his line, both Rein + Per playing with different partners until chemistry is found

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is G Perreault still 5'-11" and 165 lbs? A little light in weight eh? Is the 165 lbs still accurate or was that his draft weight?

He's got offensive game but he's in for a wake up call when he turns pro. Sorry bud but you are reaching too much on this one. All this hype pre NHL has to stop. It's usually a huge jump in quality of play for 90% of the players out there and Perreault is not the exception.

The reason why Reinbacher is more valuable is his size/skating/compete level and yes, he plays RD which make it more attractive.

What you are doing is
* Pumping Perreault too much. Yes, he goes earlier in a redraft but not moving as much as you think.
* Blah on Reinbacher. This kid has game and the size/skating to support it.
* Deflating Barron who is still a very good prospect. All you fans see his name being shopped by fans and think he is not good anymore. This kid has a great package of size/skating/shot power and the only thing he is missing is maturity/experience. I think he becomes one of those guys that hits his prime a bit later.

I bet you Barron and Perreault have similar NHL values once they are both playing full NHL seasons.
Listen, you’re talking to someone who who has watched dozens of games of Reinbacher in the last two years and had him ranked 7th overall in his draft year. I’m also someone who has absolutely no reason to go to bat for Gabe Perreault considering I’m a Sharks fan and Rangers fans constantly shit on Will Smith to pump up their boy. But the fact of the matter is that in June 2023, Reinbacher was ranked 8th by Bob MacKenzie’s scout poll and Perreault was ranked 10th. Yes, Reinbacher went earlier than expected and Perreault later than expected because of their size and position. But Perreault had an excellent D+1 season and Reinbacher was just okay. Most rankings by prospect guys now have them around the same area. Perreault has a legitimate shot to be a 1st liner, even if I don’t think it’s especially likely.

Justin Barron has a chance to pass through waivers in a couple months. He’s turning 23 in a few months and has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHL player. He’s not a prospect anymore, he’s a depth piece. There is next to no shot he develops into a legit top-4 defenseman simply because 99% of guys who were 1st round picks and turn into top-4 D have established themselves as at the very least full-time NHLers by age 23. I mention that he was a 1st round pick because guys drafted high are given every chance to succeed—the defensemen I can think of who were in Barron’s situation at the same age (Jason Demers springs to mind as a good comparable at the same age) and went on to become top-4 defensemen were later round picks or UDFA, who tend to need to work harder to prove themselves at lower levels before they get a legit shot at NHL minutes.

Now don’t take this as me saying that Barron isn’t a solid player or that I wouldn’t want my team to put a claim in if he did go on waivers (as someone mentioned, as a Sharks fan our RD depth is like, Ty Emberson and Matt Benning, so Barron would be worth claiming). But he is not even close to the value of Gabe Perreault, and that’s just a fact.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Listen, you’re talking to someone who who has watched dozens of games of Reinbacher in the last two years and had him ranked 7th overall in his draft year. I’m also someone who has absolutely no reason to go to bat for Gabe Perreault considering I’m a Sharks fan and Rangers fans constantly shit on Will Smith to pump up their boy. But the fact of the matter is that in June 2023, Reinbacher was ranked 8th by Bob MacKenzie’s scout poll and Perreault was ranked 10th. Yes, Reinbacher went earlier than expected and Perreault later than expected because of their size and position. But Perreault had an excellent D+1 season and Reinbacher was just okay. Most rankings by prospect guys now have them around the same area. Perreault has a legitimate shot to be a 1st liner, even if I don’t think it’s especially likely.

Justin Barron has a chance to pass through waivers in a couple months. He’s turning 23 in a few months and has yet to establish himself as a full-time NHL player. He’s not a prospect anymore, he’s a depth piece. There is next to no shot he develops into a legit top-4 defenseman simply because 99% of guys who were 1st round picks and turn into top-4 D have established themselves as at the very least full-time NHLers by age 23. I mention that he was a 1st round pick because guys drafted high are given every chance to succeed—the defensemen I can think of who were in Barron’s situation at the same age (Jason Demers springs to mind as a good comparable at the same age) and went on to become top-4 defensemen were later round picks or UDFA, who tend to need to work harder to prove themselves at lower levels before they get a legit shot at NHL minutes.

Now don’t take this as me saying that Barron isn’t a solid player or that I wouldn’t want my team to put a claim in if he did go on waivers (as someone mentioned, as a Sharks fan our RD depth is like, Ty Emberson and Matt Benning, so Barron would be worth claiming). But he is not even close to the value of Gabe Perreault, and that’s just a fact.
sorry bout dat

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

I can agree Barron doesn’t have the value of Perrault but it’s very early to write off Barron as a top 4. He missed large chunks of key development years due to injuries. He has the tools to be a top 4, might take him til he’s 25 like Forsling so might be on a different team when he gets there.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Interesting take considering Mukhamadullin (2 months younger than Barron, same draft year) is still viewed as a prospect... And the Sharks 5th ranked prospect on this board.

He's turning 23 this season as well. Have you soured that much with him, who has shown even less as far as NHL ability at the same age (& relatively similar situation as far as being with a lottery picking team... Big difference being that Barron earned NHL time whereas Shak couldn't crack the Sharks weak d roster last year)

Shakir - 23 in January
AHL 67 games, 8 goals 47 points
NHL 3 games, 1 point

Barron - 23 in November
AHL 107 games, 15 goals 51 points
NHL 94 games, 12 goals, 30 points

The waiver exemption piece certainly affects relative value, but Habs have no reason to expose Barron, so it's moot as far as their roster situation this season.

Will be interesting to see which player has the better year.

Ledge And Dairy

I can agree Barron doesn’t have the value of Perrault but it’s very early to write off Barron as a top 4. He missed large chunks of key development years due to injuries. He has the tools to be a top 4, might take him til he’s 25 like Forsling so might be on a different team when he gets there.
Nobody is writing him off completely. He could absolutely still develop into a legitimate top 4 guy, but until he proves he is even NHL caliber his trade value is essentially zero due to lack of exemption. Forsling is an example of the exception, he's also someone who was placed on waivers, and then claimed. @Juxtaposer said 99% of the time, Forsling falls under that 1%.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Interesting take considering Mukhamadullin (2 months younger than Barron, same draft year) is still viewed as a prospect... And the Sharks 5th ranked prospect on this board.

He's turning 23 this season as well. Have you soured that much with him, who has shown even less as far as NHL ability at the same age (& relatively similar situation as far as being with a lottery picking team... Big difference being that Barron earned NHL time whereas Shak couldn't crack the Sharks weak d roster last year)

Shakir - 23 in January
AHL 67 games, 8 goals 47 points
NHL 3 games, 1 point

Barron - 23 in November
AHL 107 games, 15 goals 51 points
NHL 94 games, 12 goals, 30 points

The waiver exemption piece certainly affects relative value, but Habs have no reason to expose Barron, so it's moot as far as their roster situation this season.

Will be interesting to see which player has the better year.
Russian guy in his first full North American season in a new organization, played well in his first NHL call up, got injured or would have been an NHL full-timer. You're more than welcome to say their situations are the same if you want, but I think you well know that they aren't.

Reactions: Xirik

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just clicked on this thread recalling that Justin Barron is related to former Rangers prospect Morgan Barron, and somehow, a whole ass argument about Gabe Perreault broke out. This site rules.

Reactions: bernmeister

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Russian guy in his first full North American season in a new organization, played well in his first NHL call up, got injured or would have been an NHL full-timer. You're more than welcome to say their situations are the same if you want, but I think you well know that they aren't.
Well, to counter that: North American guy who had both his draft year and D+1 ripped to pieces by COVID vs Russian guy whose seasons were largely uninterrupted by COVID. I would still prefer your guy but, he's not the only one with mitigating factors. I think they'll both establish themselves as full time NHLers this year, but I doubt Barron will ever be a bonafide top 4 at this rate

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well, to counter that: North American guy who had both his draft year and D+1 ripped to pieces by COVID vs Russian guy whose seasons were largely uninterrupted by COVID. I would still prefer your guy but, he's not the only one with mitigating factors. I think they'll both establish themselves as full time NHLers this year, but I doubt Barron will ever be a bonafide top 4 at this rate
I mean, if you add up the number of games played by both players per year, it's not that different, simply because of the number of games Russians play in a season.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I mean, if you add up the number of games played by both players per year, it's not that different, simply because of the number of games Russians play in a season.
Yeah but I think you know that's a significant difference in itself given the CHL's main benefit at this point, probably, is the rigors of the season are closest to the NHL. One guy's season was massively disrupted, one's really wasn't. CHL guys from the 2020 and 21 draft in particular got really jerked around by COVID. In general I give a little grace to players from that draft taking longer to come around, I mean even at the very top of the list Byfield and Laf really just came on this year

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nobody is writing him off completely. He could absolutely still develop into a legitimate top 4 guy, but until he proves he is even NHL caliber his trade value is essentially zero due to lack of exemption. Forsling is an example of the exception, he's also someone who was placed on waivers, and then claimed. @Juxtaposer said 99% of the time, Forsling falls under that 1%.
It’s not like he’s played bad, he was waiver exempt so he got sent down to play instead of Kovacevic who they were happy to sit in the press box. We have little depth on the right side and Savard will be gone by the TDL, he’d have to completely shit the bed I think to go on waivers in the next 2 years

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Barron played well in far more than 3 games, FYI.

Shall we now list all the Russian players who played significantly better than that in their first full NA season?

Excuses are fine and good... But selectively choosing to make excuses only highlights your biased take. Nuff said.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
It seems like a lot of people are writing off Barron already, glad you are not one of those people. As has been noted, Justin Barron doesn't turn 23 until November. Look at what Mike Matheson had done (or hadn't done) at that age. Barron still has plenty of time to become a good player.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Over the next 3 years i expect the right side to have this order...

Mailman
Rein
And BARRON

He has the ceiling for top 4 but as always, he needs to put in the work. I would be thrilled if he did because he has the size and toolbox to do so. The only thing i don't like is his lack of nastiness. The Habs are going to have a lot of bite with X, Mailman, Guhle, Rein and Struble so we dont want opposing players to look forward to playing against a softer player.

He's got the opportunity and the tools...so it's up to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad