Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Justin Barron re-signs with the Canadiens (2 years, $1.15M AAV)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
?
Barron D4- 94 games, 31 points
Brisebois D4- 106 games, 43 points

Brisebois' first seasons were on a Habs roster that won the division one year & the cup the next.

Barron has been playing on a rebuilding Habs roster that finished last & 5th last his first 2 yrs.

Not sure how/why you'd equate Barron to being "far behind" Brisebois at this point in their careers...
I've watched Barron quite a bit and nothing about his game shows me that he is even going to play half the NHL games that Brisbois did.

Barron is just a guy back there and there isn't much more to his game coming IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised that in 5 years the only current Habs dmen to have solid NHL spots in the top 4 are Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson.

Barron might surprise but he hasn't really shown that he can be more than a borderline NHLer and more younger better dmen will be coming up.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
?
Barron D4- 94 games, 31 points
Brisebois D4- 106 games, 43 points

Brisebois' first seasons were on a Habs roster that won the division one year & the cup the next.

Barron has been playing on a rebuilding Habs roster that finished last & 5th last his first 2 yrs.

Not sure how/why you'd equate Barron to being "far behind" Brisebois at this point in their careers...
Brisebois was good enough to be a Top-6 staple (probably the 5th D-Men all in all) of a Stanley Cup winning team. Barron isn't a Top-6 staple of a rebuilding team.

Reactions: wetcoast

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I really wouldn't be too disappointed if Barron turned out to be Brisebois with a better shot. Brisebois should have been a second pairing D, but was placed in a top pairing role due to management's failure to get better players. He was then overpaid based on his role on the team, which resulted in his getting a lot of hate from the fans. Patrice Brisebois was far from a star, but he did manage to play 18 seasons in the NHL.

Many players better than Barron won't even end up being Brisebois with a better shot.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Brisebois was good enough to be a Top-6 staple (probably the 5th D-Men all in all) of a Stanley Cup winning team. Barron isn't a Top-6 staple of a rebuilding team.

I take it you didn't watch the cup finals this year? (Mikkola 4th in ice time for Panthers, Ceci 3rd for oilers)

Or last year
Or the one before that :sarcasm:

Again, I disagree with your assessment, considerably. That's about as polite as I can put it lol

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Perhaps it is getting close to make or break time in montreal, but thats just because that pipeline has alot depth, and it would be easy to get lost in it.

But I can see him get several kicks at the can with multiple nhl teams moving forward because his assets are that intriguing. Not to mention that first round picks inherently tend to get additional opportunities to stick.

Still only 22 years old, and if it clicks, he would join a very vast list of dmen that take some time to adapt to the nhl level before they stick.

Oh, for sure. A RHD with decent size who can skate and put up some points, is gonna get at least another look even if he sort of gets pushed out of Montreal this year. Maybe even two more looks, who knows.

But it definitely looks like a big year for Barron to either establish himself as a quality regular with the Habs...or end up in one of those "change of scenery" sort of deals.

1.15 mil is nothing and I doubt it is going to stop someone from making a waiver claim. I expect 20+ teams would claim him.

Right now...maybe there'd be a decent number of claims. But if he's still struggling to establish himself later in the season, or by camp next year...that number dwindles. Particularly with well above minimum salary like that.

Heck, the Sens just used that little trick with a lesser salary, but that 2-year deal at noticeable money to keep JBD around in the organization in the minors, only to bring him back up later and have him start to find his footing a little more at the NHL level.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
You’re puzzled by my comments?
He got a bust and a late 2nd for our best trade chip. So he’s a placeholder ?
Idk about you but trading your best asset for a placeholder screams stupidity ( I don’t think that was the case)
Let me guess, your gonna say lehky was not our best trade chip. Go look at comments made by Hughes and MSL and come back.

“It’s a bonus if he somehow develops”.

Then why the F are you acquiring him.
Do your job and scout before you trade someone. It shows me that Hughes (at the time at least) did not know how to evaluate talent.

He’s not worth anything, I don’t see how you think you’ll get anything for him. Rather give the ice time to guys who will eventually be in the NHL.

Since you had a hard time understanding nepotism I’ll explain it to you

Let’s start with the definition of nepotism as defined by Oxford

“the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives, friends, or associates, especially by giving them jobs.

He just signed him to a 2 year 1m extension…. He can’t play in the NHL, he will never play a regular role in the NHL.
The only reason Hughe (ie the person in power) signed him (ie associate) is because he traded for him.
He gave this guy a job and now has secured him more money.
If this move was made at the end of his tenure, it would be a fireable offence.

Did you understand or should I put more effort into this?
I'm curious as to why he looked like a bust in Colorado to you after 2 years as a prospect.

Barron's ceiling was 3/4 two way defenseman, and he wasn't ever going to break into that Colorado depth chart with Makar, Toews, Byram and Girard. In the AHL he had 24 points in 50 games and was +12

Lehkonen was never a "great trading chip" and was never going to get you higher than a mid 2nd anyways. He was viewed as a 25-35 point/ 82 game 2nd/3rd line depth winger.

Barron + 2nd was considered a big overpayment for Lehkonen at the time.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Feels like a real "make or break" year for Barron this season. Either he establishes himself, or he's gone.

But tacking a second year on to this contract almost feels a bit like pre-planning for if he doesn't firmly establish himself in the NHL this season. To make him less enticing for other teams as a potential waiver claim at some point later this year or early next year. But to still keep him in the organization?
Lol. He won't make it past the sharks on waivers and we won't give a damn about the 2nd year. Our RHD is Jan Rutta , Emberson and Vlasic playing on his off side.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He's 22 lol look at the dmen around the league and what they were doing at 22 , the write offs are hilarious. I'm not even that high on Barron but to completely write him off at his age is weird...
... C'mon now. Brisebois played over 1000 NHL games (and would have reached 1100 were it not for two lockout) while topping as a #2-3. Barron is a long shot to achieve that.

Reactions: David Suzuki

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
... C'mon now. Brisebois played over 1000 NHL games (and would have reached 1100 were it not for two lockout) while topping as a #2-3. Barron is a long shot to achieve that.
I'm not commenting about Brisebois I'm just saying half the #3-6 dmen in the league were doing nothing interesting at 22 at the NHL level lol

Reactions: MXD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Due to shortage of natural RD, Rs interested at the right price.

Value: he was a very late 1st. no longer elc level cost control. Good 2 yr deal for immediate future.
Upside: has not distinguished himself. Does have modest to moderate upside.

What is your generic price in a vacuum, and what Rangers asset(s) correspond to that benchmark?
Also what are Habs current needs?

A prospect of the same age, forward. With upside.

R's don't have that

Will Cuylle is exactly that

... I'd cream my pants if we could get Cuylle for Barron.

Meh. Ceiling on Barron is higher and both share a similar floor (depth NHL regular).

Doubt the Rangers would do it. Cuylle fits their roster needs very well now and moving forward, and they don't have a short term need at RD.

I'd probably do it but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Barron ends up the better player. Not sure KH does it without a + or as part of a broader deal...

There remains lack of precise consensus, but I think we are all in a close enuf ballpark.

That said, Cuyle is worth more than Barron, and imo has > upside
Also, we do not have immediately available depth that, even that aside, he could be made available for JB+.

We do not HAVE TO go prospect if we can agree on other vet as asset preferred.
Howev, I don't see an immediate match.

My first thoughts are:
Adam Sykora -- if I remember a mid 2nd rounder doing well, LW w/pivot experience
and
Raoul Boilard -- a C drafted 4th round this yr
Raoul Boilard Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

for
Barron + a 3rd

thoughts?

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Montreal will need Barron this year, even more so when Savard is traded at TDL.
I don't think he is traded this year. Next year he will have one more year of experience, and be on his last year of contract, while Mailloux & Reinbacher will have more pro experience, so I can see him traded next summer.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

Breeze-by was a coward & an embarrassment to the organization and fans. To be compared to him is an insult to defencemen.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There remains lack of precise consensus, but I think we are all in a close enuf ballpark.

Also, we do not have immediately available depth that, even that aside, he could be made available for JB+.

My first thoughts are:
Adam Sykora -- if I remember a mid 2nd rounder doing well, LW w/pivot experience
and

for
Barron + a 3rd

thoughts?

Way off the mark.

Not even remotely close value-wise for Barron, let alone adding a 3rd.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

My first thoughts are:
and

for
Barron + a 3rd

thoughts?
No to this terrible offer lol.

3rd > Boilard
Barron >>>>> Sykora

As mentionned, NYR had nothing that helps de Habs. Unless Habs add to Barron for Othmann, there is no deal to he made

And Habs don't want veterans.

Reactions: CanadienShark

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lol. He won't make it past the sharks on waivers and we won't give a damn about the 2nd year. Our RHD is Jan Rutta , Emberson and Vlasic playing on his off side.

I'm talking about that second year on the contract. Not this season. Idk what you're talking about. :dunno:

Nobody is suggesting he'll be waived out of camp this year, unless he lays an absolute dookie of a camp + preseason performance and someone else in the Habs stable hits a homerun to make themselves undeniable.

But if he's still back in this same position next spring, or next fall? It's a radically different situation. Which is what makes this season such a make or break year for him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Way off the mark.

Not even remotely close value-wise for Barron, let alone adding a 3rd.

No to this terrible offer lol.

3rd > Boilard
Barron >>>>> Sykora

As mentionned, NYR had nothing that helps de Habs. Unless Habs add to Barron for Othmann, there is no deal to he made

And Habs don't want veterans.
Disagree.
Barron no longer late 1st value, loss of elc -> rfa = reduced cost control
Those where factors you ignored.
Sykora is a negligible cheaper contract, but can go thru waivers; Barron must clear, no?

So I propped a guy similar current value based on his draft with the above advantages for one who is ballpark similar.
No way Barron >>>> Sykora
If you prefer a dif prospect fine that is a discussion
But no way ^.

yes the 3rd is more than the prospect taken 4th rnd, but I felt it was fair in this package, also gives you an extra F prospect, a pivot, who would be one year further along closer to ready. A 3rd in that context is not unreasonable.

-----------

The add to Barron for Oth would have to be VERY signif
While JB is not turd city, and he has some level of upside [reason to gamble] he is nowhere near a signif downpayment on Oth

Gabe Perreault has advanced very well and is projected h9igher than Oth

Gabe P + small add for Reinbacher, throw in Barron, and slightly larger add

Otherwise, not seeing it atm

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Disagree.
Sykora is a negligible cheaper contract, but can go thru waivers; Barron must clear, no?

So I propped a guy similar current value based on his draft with the above advantages for one who is ballpark similar.
But no way ^.

yes the 3rd is more than the prospect taken 4th rnd, but I felt it was fair in this package, also gives you an extra F prospect, a pivot, who would be one year further along closer to ready. A 3rd in that context is not unreasonable.

-----------

While JB is not turd city, and he has some level of upside [reason to gamble] he is nowhere near a signif downpayment on Oth

Your value assessments are way off, and you aren't considering the actual roster context... That's why you "aren't seeing it".

Hard pass on both proposals you've made, neither are remotely close.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Disagree.

But no way ^.

-----------

We are not trading a top5D prospect in the world for Perrault lol.

Barron + a 4th for Perrault makes sense

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy