Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn't use trigger words.
You've doubled down on absolutist language multiple times in this thread. You also arrogantly insisted you knew better than both Jackets and other Habs fans what Columbus's needs actually are:
I don't agree with the "it doesn't address their needs at all". A NHL ready RD with size/skating/shot and a solid center prospect. Come on man.
So no, you didn't say "trash", but you've been very disrespectful throughout regardless.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
let the rumours begin hopefully Habs are interested the reward is huge and if it doesnt work out oh well its only 2 years

I see Hughes being interested but not desperate. If another GM is more aggressive, I bet you we let them. Same as it was with Dubois on the Jets. Same as it is with Zegras/Ducks and Necas/Canes.

We will see if there is a fit and work through what we can offer. If it don't work, it's OK.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You've doubled down on absolutist language multiple times in this thread. You also arrogantly insisted you knew better than both Jackets and other Habs fans what Columbus's needs actually are:

So no, you didn't say "trash", but you've been very disrespectful throughout regardless.

So what you are saying is we are not allowed to say Laine will not return a 1st and Grade A? I think you are trying to connect two different things that are not close together.

Yes, I have my opinion. It might not line up with yours. But the main point was I'm not going on to exaggerate Laine as the worse $8M+ player in the NHL.

You might think you found some good "got cha game" evidence but you really didn't. Keep trying. I stand firm... Laine will not return both a 1st and a Grade A. It's either a Grade A and 2nd/B types or a 1st and Grade B types.

How many trades have you seen with both a 1st and a Grade A offered? Think about it bud.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yah zero chance Habs give their best G prospect and a guy like kapanen for Laine

Only deal that'd makes sense would be

Gallagher / Anderson
Mesar / Harris / Struble / Barron
2nd rder

For

Laine

Can't deal for Laine without one of the 2 above mentioned Habs players included.
Okay so 2 absolute cap dumps in Gallagher and Anderson are available that's a newsflash.

Diddo the Harris/Struble/Barron trio that don't factor into a non playoff Habs future.

and Filip Mesar who isn't trending well either....okay

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Because Laine asked for a trade and wants a fresh start after exiting the player assistance program?
"[Laine's agent] Andy Scott told him multiple times that we will make sure we look at everything and know the situation, and we know Patrik's feelings and we can find the right fit, certainly we will do that. But, if not, we'll have to just deal with it." - Don Waddell

Reactions: Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There’s significant risk for whoever’s acquiring Laine. Especially at a $8.7 million cap hit. And it doesn’t sound like Columbus keeping him is in the best interest of the player or the organization at this point. If you’re selling him, it’s likely going to be at a discount or price you don’t like. You can’t get mad at posters from other fanbases for not being crazy about giving up valuable assets for him at this point. He has buyer beware written all over him.
No one expects us to get much for Laine. Treating psychological problems is not a piece of cake. But that doesn't mean we have to take on bad contracts (for example Anderson) and prospects that we don't need (mean quality).

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Laine is a talented player.

But he has the reputation of not being the most disciplined or invested in maximizing his potential.

MTL wants to establish standards when it comes to attitude, team culture and engagement.

Not sure Laine would be the best role model for the multitude of youngsters that will eventually graduate to MTL.

I'd pass and leave Laine to the Penguins/Capitals of this world...

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
It's also funny reading the comments like these two teams didn't start their rebuilds at the exact same time and manage to build up pretty similar prospect pools, with NHL rosters that are more similar than they aren't. But you know, Montreal is going to make the playoffs this season and Columbus will finish 32nd.
I might have missed the memo because most of us expect another top 10 pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what you are saying is we are not allowed to say Laine will not return a 1st and Grade A?
No, I'm saying that if you're going to get all offended and demand respect for your players that you not also arrogantly try to explain to Jackets fans what our own team's needs are and condescendingly make up strawmen and mock us with them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

But he has the reputation of not being the most disciplined or invested in maximizing his potential.

MTL wants to establish standards when it comes to attitude, team culture and engagement.

Not sure Laine would be the best role model for the multitude of youngsters that will eventually graduate to MTL.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I suspect he will be traded, he wants out and probably Columbus will want to move on too. I think Jackets have said they are looking for picks prospects. At the end of the day i don't expect them to give him away but at the same time I don't expect a massive return if they don't retain or take back $$ because

1) not that many teams can fit in 8.7M without sending something back
2) true contenders may not want to take the risk on a guy with issues, injury or otherwise
3) Laine has a 10 team NTC - he can pretty much dictate where he goes with just a 10 team NTC. (He can narrow down the teams that are in a position to trade for him to probably not much more than 10. he can eliminate most of them with his NTC.

Where does he end up?

Rangers/Habs/ or Utah IMO

Habs and Utah are both looking to improve and exit their rebuild stage, both have the cap space to make it work without retention or sending $$ back. Both have the assets picks/prospects to make it happen and with a 2 year commitment his cap hit will not cause an issue when they need to extend their young guys.

Rangers because they like shinny objects, money means nothing. The have about 5M in cap - could send Kappo back and juggle to make cap work. If he ends up on LTIR they reload at the deadline

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't agree with the "it doesn't address their needs at all". A NHL ready RD with size/skating/shot and a solid center prospect. Come on man.

Nobody is offering a grade A prospect. Nobody is giving them a young proven player with potential and playing in the NHL.

Their return will be picks and prospects. Book mark it.
They need an established, 2nd pairing defensive LHD.

I know @Viqsi loves repeating herself, so I'll let her take it from here.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No one expects us to get much for Laine. Treating psychological problems is not a piece of cake. But that doesn't mean we have to take on bad contracts (for example Anderson) and prospects that we don't need (mean quality).
To take on Laine, a contract likely has to go back the other way to make it work. That’s fair if you aren’t interested in someone like Anderson, but that’s the kind of swap at least from a Montreal perspective that we’d likely be looking to do if we are in fact interested. I think Anderson is overpaid but he’s also still a good stop gap player as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To take on Laine, a contract likely has to go back the other way to make it work. That’s fair if you aren’t interested in someone like Anderson, but that’s the kind of swap at least from a Montreal perspective that we’d likely be looking to do if we are in fact interested. I think Anderson is overpaid but he’s also still a good stop gap player as well.
The rule of thumb w/r/t sending a contract back in a Laine trade is that AAV is acceptable and understandable (within some reasonable limits), but term is a nonstarter.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine has only one problem. NHLPA program.

Unless of course you consider a concussion, broken collarbone, sprained ankle (came back earlier), etc. to be chronic injuries.

In 2021/22 he had (if converted to 82 games) 82 points including 38 goals, center - Jenner, in 2022/23 78 points including 33 goals, center Roslovic, defensemen Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni.

Yes, he also played with Gaudreau, but Gaudreau made him worse while he made him better. He plays very well without the puck, defensively, led his line, not dependent on teammates.

A lot of what I read here is complete nonsense. I understand that Columbus is not a popular team, but Natural Stat Trick exists.

Btw, no one can expect him to play great in October and November, he hasn't played in a long time, even now he's rehabbing. But I'm sure he'll play great from New Year's at the most.

I very hope Patrik changes his mind and stays in Columbus. But if he doesn't, his new team will get a great player. Who can play great even in the PO unlike unnamed stars from an unnamed team. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Marioesque

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Here's my offer: CBJ keeps their player instead of trading him the Habs for garbage. Just like everyone else is saying. You don't get him for scraps cause you want, why wouldn't THEY just keep him instead? Foolish.
Laine at least as if not a little bit more than the second best offer. The motivation here is that Laine needs to move on not that he is core player who moves if the team acquiring regrets the trade on 1 forward..If all the offers are there are reasons for it.If you think that whatever the Habs offer is garbage and that is the best offer on the table do you risk an asset that maybe in declining value?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Of course you would rather keep him if the return isn’t satisfying to you but you’re also dealing with a human who has had all sort of issues over the last couple of years and got help and wants a fresh start.

for us, it’s easy to treat them as assets that has no feelings but in reality, it’s a totally different ball game.
Waddell has already said that they are going to keep him if they can't find a deal that works.

If Laine wants to continue to play in the NHL, he'll show up and play like he's contractually obligated to do

How long did he wait to get traded in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Marioesque and Fro

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

More baseless rumors of Laine's work ethic and attitude, y'all need to find some new material to work with.

I guess spending the last few summers training with Barkov make him undisciplined.

Tell me, what's makes him undisciplined or not invested in maximizing his potential?

Do you know him? Have you followed him so closely that you know what he's been working on in the off-season and what he's been doing during the season?

It's not just you but the amount of baseless BS in these Laine threads is getting absurd. There's so many posters exposing themselves that they haven't know nothing about the player since his early WPG days. This isn't some immature 19 year old kid who doesn't know any better.

He's struggled to stay healthy and he lost his lifelong best friend, the one person he had the greatest bond over the game of hockey with in his Dad. Combined with an inability to string together a couple full seasons will wreak havoc on you mentally

Reactions: Marioesque

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
People are making it sound Laine is a scrub when he’s been a PPG player for Columbus most of the time.

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect. I don’t think Columbus needs goalie prospects given we have Ivanov and recently drafted Gardner.

Ideally we need a veteran top 4 LHD
Keep him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Laine has only one problem. NHLPA program.

Unless of course you consider a concussion, broken collarbone, sprained ankle (came back earlier), etc. to be chronic injuries.

In 2021/22 he had (if converted to 82 games) 82 points including 38 goals, center - Jenner, in 2022/23 78 points including 33 goals, center Roslovic, defensemen Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni.

Yes, he also played with Gaudreau, but Gaudreau made him worse while he made him better. He plays very well without the puck, defensively, led his line, not dependent on teammates.

A lot of what I read here is complete nonsense. I understand that Columbus is not a popular team, but Natural Stat Trick exists.

Btw, no one can expect him to play great in October and November, he hasn't played in a long time, even now he's rehabbing. But I'm sure he'll play great from New Year's at the most.

I very hope Patrik changes his mind and stays in Columbus. But if he doesn't, his new team will get a great player. Who can play great even in the PO unlike unnamed stars from an unnamed team. :D
This is all fine. Everything I’m reading from insiders is that Laine wants to move on and when players are in that mindset, they typically force their teams hand. Laine does not care about what Columbus gets in return of trade value as a player. He just wants to move on. If you sit on it, you risk the asset decreasing further or creating a dysfunctional situation in the locker room. He’s a risk to any acquiring teamfor many reasons so if you think you’re going to get some big haul him, especially at almost a $9 million cap hit, my personal opinion is you’re setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Reactions: Wayfarer13

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is all fine. Everything I’m reading from insiders is that Laine wants to move on and when players are in that mindset, they typically force their teams hand.
As soon as someone's argument about a Jackets asset starts with something like this I know it can be safely ignored, because that's been the rallying cry of debunked ripoff proposal after debunked ripoff proposal for Jackets major players for the last decade plus and not once has it been right. Granted, Kekalainen is no longer the GM so the guarantee is no longer there, but I suspect that the issue is less about who's in the captain's chair and more about "lol Jackets" so I'm pretty confident it's going to continue to be bullshit.

Everybody always assumes when the rumors come up that they're going to get to rip off the Jackets. Everybody, always. The only times it's ever happened, though, are when there were no rumors and so the assets moved came as a surprise.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
As soon as someone's argument about a Jackets asset starts with something like this I know it can be safely ignored, because that's been the rallying cry of debunked ripoff proposal after debunked ripoff proposal for Jackets major players for the last decade plus and not once has it been right. Granted, Kekalainen is no longer the GM so the guarantee is no longer there, but I suspect that the issue is less about who's in the captain's chair and more about "lol Jackets" so I'm pretty confident it's going to continue to be bullshit.

Everybody always assumes when the rumors come up that they're going to get to rip off the Jackets. Everybody, always. The only times it's ever happened, though, are when there were no rumors and so the assets moved came as a surprise.
We really need to make an ongoing list of what trades we been told "would never happen/your never gonna get the first" the past 10-15 years and everyone gets a surprised Pikachu face when it does and just months later they do the whole routine over again. If anything we are the ones who fleece in trades historically. Most of our issues come in retaining/signing FAs

Last edited:

chapulana

RaDeCha Creator
Jan 3, 2015
Stumbled upon this trade proposal echoed at Heavy that comes from PuckGM and their user-led tool. I'm wondering, if the reports are correct about CBJ looking for prospects/picks instead of a "hockey trade", would they accept this package from the Habs (note the salary retention)?

So basically it's a one-for-two as well as a couple of picks. Would Columbus accept anything other than a first-round pick? Would a 2nd+4th and one/two prospects do the trick?

What's Laine's out-of-context maximum value, you'd say?

EDIT: Here's the user's package:

Canadiens get:

• Patrik Laine ($4.4 million retained by Columbus)
Blue Jackets get:

• Sean Farrell
  • Bogdan Konyushkov
  • Canadiens 2025 2nd-Round Pick
  • Canadiens 2026 4th-Round Pick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad