Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Last edited:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
What in the world? This is completely atrocious for Montreal, every insider I've heard discuss it says he's only movable if retained or money comes back.

Not sure who you think you're bidding against here
Laine is a legit top 6 in any team.
Just got is 26 birthday.
He's got a great 5 years in his prime to go

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Zero chance any team has interest in Laine unless there is significant retention and unwanted contracts going back. So the Habs would likely want Laine at 30% retention and Columbus takes back Anderson. And even then it’s very doubtful.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Laine is a legit top 6 in any team.
Just got is 26 birthday.
He's got a great 5 years in his prime to go
He's also barely cracked 100 games over the span of 3 years and last year when he played was objectively terrible.

You quite literally have no idea what player you're going to get, nobody is paying premium assets for a coin flip

I would do Anderson + Mesar + 2nd - if that doesn't get it done, well darn

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Yah zero chance Habs give their best G prospect and a guy like kapanen for Laine

Only deal that'd makes sense would be

Gallagher / Anderson
Mesar / Harris / Struble / Barron
2nd rder

For

Laine

Can't deal for Laine without one of the 2 above mentioned Habs players included.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Yah zero chance Habs give their best G prospect and a guy like kapanen for Laine

Only deal that'd makes sense would be

Gallagher / Anderson
Mesar / Harris / Struble / Barron
2nd rder

For

Laine

Can't deal for Laine without one of the 2 above mentioned Habs players included.
Don't think CLB bites on that

• Haha
Reactions: mattyboy

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
People are making it sound Laine is a scrub when he’s been a PPG player for Columbus most of the time.

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect
yeah top 3 prospect .. not just any

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
People are making it sound Laine is a scrub when he’s been a PPG player for Columbus most of the time.

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect. I don’t think Columbus needs goalie prospects given we have Ivanov and recently drafted Gardner.

Ideally we need a veteran top 4 LHD
Like Mike Matheson ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus doesn't really have incentive to take on a Gallagher/Anderson type contract. Laine's deal is ending sooner and he's more movable. They might already have a deal lined up with him as soon as he is cleared by the PAP.

This is a player that scored 110 pts in 111 games in the two seasons prior to last year (when he had a concussion). Strong two way play as well. The injury risk is high but it doesn't put him on par with a very bad contract like Gallagher/Anderson. Folks need to re-set their expectations.

Laine is the perfect guy to give an opportunity to if you're late rebuild like the Habs. He's young enough to be a part of the future core if he works, and if he doesn't work, his contract is almost up. But there's several other clubs like Seattle or Utah where I'd say the same thing. You're not going to get paid (by dumping an atrocious deal) to take Laine.

Like Mike Matheson ?

Jackets need a shutdown LD option. They've already got Werenski and Provorov and likely Mateychuk to handle the LD offense.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect. I don’t think Columbus needs goalie prospects given we have Ivanov and recently drafted Gardner.

Ideally we need a veteran top 4 LHD
And what about recently? I don't think he's worthless but right now there is nowhere near certainty that he is the player you're describing. I am not begrudging him for being in the player's assistance program by any means but the reality is that just leaves so much uncertainty, and it seems like both he and Columbus are ready to move on from this marriage, so what leverage does Columbus have in this situation? Keep a malcontent with documented mental health struggles for another year so he turns into a complete cap dump?

Do you think he's going to return better value than the package proposed here? Because I would be downright floored if that's the case

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
And what about recently? I don't think he's worthless but right now there is nowhere near certainty that he is the player you're describing. I am not begrudging him for being in the player's assistance program by any means but the reality is that just leaves so much uncertainty, and it seems like both he and Columbus are ready to move on from this marriage, so what leverage does Columbus have in this situation? Keep a malcontent with documented mental health struggles for another year so he turns into a complete cap dump?

Do you think he's going to return better value than the package proposed here? Because I would be downright floored if that's the case
This is why if I was the CBJ management, I would hold on to him and let him play under a new coach and GM, see how well he does, then if he still somehow wants to leave, find a suitable buyer rather than trading him right now at his absolutely lowest

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
While many CBJ fans would rather get a defensive minded shutdown D, I personally would prefer Matheson over a goalie prospect
A shut down LHD would be Jayden Struble, but he doesn't hold much value atm.

So Struble + CGY first could start the talk
No retention

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
This is why if I was the CBJ management, I would hold on to him and let him play under a new coach and GM, see how well he does, then if he still somehow wants to leave, find a suitable buyer rather than trading him right now at his absolutely lowest
But I'm just not totally sure this IS his lowest. Right now teams look at him as an "I can fix him" type of player, but if he has another brutal year I think he just becomes an 8 million dollar turd in the pipes.

You may be right that is the correct course of action to take, but it doesn't seem likely they'll do that...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
But I'm just not totally sure this IS his lowest. Right now teams look at him as an "I can fix him" type of player, but if he has another brutal year I think he just becomes an 8 million dollar turd in the pipes.

You may be right that is the correct course of action to take, but it doesn't seem likely they'll do that...
The thing is he’s never really had a brutal year, his last season was bad but he was really affected by injuries end likely personal stuff, before that one season he was a PPG player for us so chances are he will likely be that player again under a new coach than have a terrible year

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The thing is he’s never really had a brutal year, his last season was bad but he was really affected by injuries end likely personal stuff, before that one season he was a PPG player for us so chances are he will likely be that player again under a new coach than have a terrible year
Eh, when he played last year he looked BAD, like really bad. Is that likely due to being a little timid after suffering from a concussion? Sure, but be honest, dude was a waste of space when he played last season.

I feel like the bolded is being glazed over a bit tbh, it sounds like he was seriously struggling with anxiety and/or depression - absolutely rooting for him to bounce back but mental health is a nasty, unpredictable beast

Ok, one year. A player can have a concussion and a bad year.

I agree that there is little certainty with Laine's health but you have to take chances to get elite players. Look at the term teams in FA are giving out. Laine on a two-year deal is safe by comparison.
Totally agree, whoever gets him will be taking a chance (worth taking) but the reality is he's a bargain bin lottery ticket right now. Am I saying he's a cap dump? No, but I don't think he has value beyond being given away without retention or money coming back

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I would rather for the habs to keep the kids and there assests, there rebuilding no need to do this kind of trade.
3 years in the bottom is enough for the fans, let's get that shit going LET'S GOOO !

We need a top 6 forwards

CC-Suzuki-Laine
Slaf-Dach-Roy
Newhook-Dvorak-Demidov

is a awesome top 9

Great prospect like Fowler, Barron, Mesar, Engstrom, Kapanen, CGY first, 2 x 2nd 2025 should all be sacrifice to make this happen.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
3 years in the bottom is enough for the fans, let's get that shit going LET'S GOOO !

We need a top 6 forwards

CC-Suzuki-Laine
Slaf-Dach-Roy
Newhook-Dvorak-Demidov

is a awesome top 9

Great prospect like Fowler, Barron, Mesar, Engstrom, Kapanen, CGY first, 2 x 2nd 2025 should all be sacrifice to make this happen.
If they add Laine it will move them up from like 6th or 7th last to maybe 8th. The Habs rebuild STARTED 3 years ago, relax. Thank god we finally have a management group that tunes out the most impatient fan base in the league, we have moved on past mortgaging the future for bandaid solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad