Proposal: MTL & CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We don't care what you think about him. 90% of Habs fans are not interested. You can have him and I hope he does well for the Flames.
I think smart Habs fans know how integral Pospisil types are to winning and losing. Florida is going to win a cup with guys who are defensive masters, fast and hard to play against.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think smart Habs fans know how integral Pospisil types are to winning and losing. Florida is going to win a cup with guys who are defensive masters, fast and hard to play against.

Defend Pospisil's value all you want. It don't matter to most Habs fans because we are not making this kind of trade with our 5th OA pick. If we trade down, we are likely adding a future or someone who is close to NHL ready.

I understand the value physicality/grit brings and I've been laughing at the "size don't matter anymore" statement for quite some time. Habs are years away from deep playoff runs and Pospisil does nothing for us. Go try defending his value with a cup contender

Reactions: viceroy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Defend Pospisil's value all you want. It don't matter to most Habs fans because we are not making this kind of trade with our 5th OA pick. If we trade down, we are likely adding a future or someone who is close to NHL ready.

I understand the value physicality/grit brings and I've been laughing at the "size don't matter anymore" statement for quite some time. Habs are years away from deep playoff runs and Pospisil does nothing for us. Go try defending his value with a cup contender
It's not defending his value. I have zero interest in moving #9 and Pospisil for #5. I am hoping we draft Catton, not Tij Iginla and I think Catton will be available at #9. I wouldn't trade Pospisil for anything less than #13 in this draft straight up. I think any player taken after that point is a less than 50% chance of being as good as he is. I'm hoping somehow we can trade #28 for a young player under 25 as I just don't see much value in this draft beyond #13.

Ledge And Dairy

CGY likelly doesn't draft top10 next year. Their team isnt trash enough. Unless they give away Markstrom for free.
Likely doesn't? You might want to re-crunch those numbers. Calgary was easily a bottom 3 team in the league this year if it wasn't for Markstrom's outstanding play. The only upgrade to their roster for next season is likely Poirier instead of Okhotiuk on the 3rd pair.

Meanwhile all the other teams around them in the standings (Seattle, Ottawa, Buffalo, New Jersey, Utah, and Montreal) are actively trying to improve their rosters for next season. Then you have the teams filled with loads of young prospects with high potential like Anaheim and Columbus. At some point those prospects start tapping into that potential and the teams take massive steps forward.

I would say Calgary is all but guaranteed to finish bottom 10 next year and most likely bottom 5.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Likely doesn't? You might want to re-crunch those numbers. Calgary was easily a bottom 3 team in the league this year if it wasn't for Markstrom's outstanding play. The only upgrade to their roster for next season is likely Poirier instead of Okhotiuk on the 3rd pair.

Meanwhile all the other teams around them in the standings (Seattle, Ottawa, Buffalo, New Jersey, Utah, and Montreal) are actively trying to improve their rosters for next season. Then you have the teams filled with loads of young prospects with high potential like Anaheim and Columbus. At some point those prospects start tapping into that potential and the teams take massive steps forward.

I would say Calgary is all but guaranteed to finish bottom 10 next year and most likely bottom 5.
With the blueline as currently constructed I think we'd have to have a stellar season from Wolf to not be drafting top 10. We really have 3 top 6 defensemen, two #2 guys and one 4/5 guy, then a raft of 7/8 types.

EDIT: Kadri and Backlund were both really good still this season. At some point there is going to be a decline there.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

I actually agree with that poster with a caveat. If we maintain this current roster, I don't think we draft top 10. However, if we make the proposed moves where Markstrom is moved, then yes I agree with you that we will draft top 10.

It's insane how much of a talent downgrade we did this season via trades and that's not even including "minor" moves like losing Ruzicka and Desimone for nothing. Yet... we'd still need to do a lot more and add more weights to this floating plop to get it to sink.

Ledge And Dairy

I actually agree with that poster with a caveat. If we maintain this current roster, I don't think we draft top 10. However, if we make the proposed moves where Markstrom is moved, then yes I agree with you that we will draft top 10.

It's insane how much of a talent downgrade we did this season via trades and that's not even including "minor" moves like losing Ruzicka and Desimone for nothing. Yet... we'd still need to do a lot more and add more weights to this floating plop to get it to sink.
We were a bottom 10 team with Markstrom this year, he kept us out of 3rd last. If we don't move Markstrom for some reason and run the current roster we will probably finish between 5th and 9th again. That blue line is just simply not remotely good enough to compete for even a bubble spot

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No thanks
Pospisil stays, an absolute menace on the forecheck and brings some good offense too.

Lias Andersson :laugh: cmon now, guy couldn't even crack an awful banged up Habs roster last season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you ever liked Gallagher and didn't mind where he was drafted... I think you'll find similar sentiment for Pospisil from Flames fans.

If you miss prime Gallagher, then that last paragraph might be a little more literal than sarcastic.

That being said, I do think and I do worry that Pospisil will have a similar career length to Gallagher due to injuries. IIRC, he was often injured while playing in the AHL as well.

Both sides say no. But you don't have to crap on Pospisil to conclude that the trade doesn't work for MTL.

At 25, Gallagher had 118 NHL goals in 6 seasons playing at NHL . Pospisil has 63 games and 8 goals at the same age.

These are two very different level players, draft spot is about all the have in common.

I can't see why the Habs would touch this, agree there.

I think Conroy would jump at this without hesitation, even with the uniquely deep top 10-15 in this draft

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
At 25, Gallagher had 118 NHL goals in 6 seasons playing at NHL . Pospisil has 63 games and 8 goals at the same age.

These are two very different level players, draft spot is about all the have in common.

I can't see why the Habs would touch this, agree there.

I think Conroy would jump at this without hesitation, even with the uniquely deep top 10-15 in this draft
I don't think he would.

"He's going to be part of this team for a long, long time." Craig Conroy.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I would bet my house that he wouldn't.

You can point to his age and career stats all you want... but he became a serious impact player last season and was the lifeline behind this team.

Pospisil has an incredibly sought after all around skillset and with two more years at 1M salary.. he's an immensely valuable piece whether you know it yet or not. If he were traded the responses would be similar to the Jeannot / Hagel deals. ("He returned that much?"). He certainly wouldn't be used with additional pieces to move slightly up in a draft with no distinct ledge between the two picks.

Reactions: Double Dion

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs don't trade the 5th, we need it to draft the missing piece we need to complete our rebuild

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
CGY likelly doesn't draft top10 next year. Their team isnt trash enough. Unless they give away Markstrom for free.

lol. We are going to be trash next year.
After we traded Hanifin and Tanev we were like 8-12 or something like that.

Subtract Markstrom and this is going to be a tire fire.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
lol. We are going to be trash next year.
After we traded Hanifin and Tanev we were like 8-12 or something like that.

Subtract Markstrom and this is going to be a tire fire.
IF***

Cause last I checked Markstrom choses where he goes

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
His reps have quietly asked for a trade.
He won’t play a game for Calgary again.
He still chooses the teams where he wants to he traded to.

And then that teams needs to "want him"

And then CGY FO needs to accept the terms of the trade.

So highly unlikely.

Bottom 15 teams don't want an aging goalie with that contract that serves bo purpose
Playoff teams don't have the cap to do so.

Unless CGY gives him away like Vegas did Fleury, he'll remain a Flames

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He still chooses the teams where he wants to he traded to.

And then that teams needs to "want him"

And then CGY FO needs to accept the terms of the trade.

So highly unlikely.

Bottom 15 teams don't want an aging goalie with that contract that serves bo purpose
Playoff teams don't have the cap to do so.

Unless CGY gives him away like Vegas did Fleury, he'll remain a Flames
I guarantee this post looks really dumb within 15 days. Markstrom is going to bring back a mid 1st in value.

Reactions: Volica

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I guarantee this post looks really dumb within 15 days. Markstrom is going to bring back a mid 1st in value.
Can't wait to see that.
Goalies have ni value. Aging goalies with term @ 6M with an NMC even less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad